Patriots: Dynasty or just a good team?

bflo83

In watching the SB highlight films on the nfl network today, I watched the two Pats 3 point victoriess in Super Bowls 36 and 38. These were two games that could have gone to either the Rams or the Panthers.

Belicheck going for the win and not playing for ot in sb36 was a great coaching decision that paid off for them. The Panthers John Kasey kicking the ball out of bounds and giving the Pats the ball at the 40 yard line late in sb38 was a huge mistake that the Pats capitalized on and won the game on the last play.

Does two 3 point victories in the biggest game of the year make a team a budding dynasty? I say the Patriots need to dominate the Eagles next Sunday to be considered in the class of the 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers and 90's Cowboys. A loss Sunday and I think they're a very good team along the lines of the Dolphins of the 70's or the Broncos of the late 90s - not a dynasty.

dynasty. and next year they'll be even better.

belichick has done with the patriots what tiger woods did on the pga tour. he's raised the level of excellence so high that teams will have no chance unless they find a way to reach his ability to break down a team and expose its weaknesses.

He's also one of the very best at evaluating players. He knows which players do specific things the best in a class of hundreds. He looks for players that do X or Y really well and puts them in a position where that strength is maximized.

The guy is amazing, and we'd better get used to the pain of life in the AFC East. It's only going to get tougher with Saban there. He and Belichick are close and talk weekly about football, common opponents, strategy, etc.

Can Mularkey and Wyche and Clements compete with Belichick's chessmaster brilliance? I don't know. I hope so. I wouldn't bet on it.

First off agreed, Dynasty. They win this game, I put them near the top of the all-time dynasties in the NFL. The reason is because with the salary cap we were supposed to see the end of the superpowers. It is sooo much harder to maintain a dominating team in this era than it was in the 70, 80s or early 90s. It pains me to say it, but we are watching one of the all-time great football teams.

The guy is amazing, and we'd better get used to the pain of life in the AFC East. It's only going to get tougher with Saban there. He and Belichick are close and talk weekly about football, common opponents, strategy, etc.

223530[/snapback]

However, I am not ready to concede the AFC East to the Pats and now the fuggin dolphins because of Belicheck and (gasp) Nick Saban. What does it matter that they talk on the phone all the time? Are they plotting together? Is Belicheck revealing his team secrets to Saban? This Bills team is going to be tough to beat in coming years.

Id say dynasty as well... :lol: ...patriots showed that a team can take lower paid players and put them in different positions and still win big...the last dynasty, cowboys, also showed something new to the nfl durring their reign by haveing the biggest OL in the nfl that was also the fastest and most dominating...so it seems each dynasty shows the nfl something new and then everybody tries to copy it...if the pats win this weekend that'll give them 3 bowls in 4 years plus add the longest win streak in the nfl...the only thing the pats dynasty will be missing from the cowboys dynasty is all the drug users and womanizers..unless they are just not in the media in NE