The acorns are heavy this year....gear up for Snowmageddon 2

plenzmd1

Hows that Snow Blower working out Johnny....the acorns never lie!!!!

well, not much here in Richmond, but i will take credit nonetheless!!!

Working out great! Best money I've spent in a while. I have a large 45 foot driveway, and it took me about 20 minutes to clear about 10 inches of snow today. Almost got run over by a UPS truck though, but that's another story.

Working out great! Best money I've spent in a while. I have a large 45 foot driveway, and it took me about 20 minutes to clear about 10 inches of snow today. Almost got run over by a UPS truck though, but that's another story.

Was there a rehabilitated crack head at the wheel?

I mentioned this in the global warming thread on PPP. We had a really hard winter last year and 4 of the 5 Lakes froze solid except Ontario that was barely hit with ice. FF to this year... Had some cold spells, lakes are only 50% frozen... About a 40% drop off from last year. But get this, Ontario appears to be more frozen than last year... What gives? Maybe the "polar vortex" ( I know I cringe too @ the name) has shifted more east?

It has been cold here, but not that bad... Things aren't as frozen as thick... Besides the one snowstorm (Linus last week) we haven't had much here... About 35" (average for a whole CHI winter) and we are almost out of the woods being Mid-February.

Worcester, MA is beeating BFLO and Erie, PA for snow totals this year... Floowed by Boston and then Syracuse. That has to be kind of unheard of so late in the season?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

So far (knock wood) not major snow fall in Leesburg Virginia area.

yeah you'll miss that snow when you don't have any water this year. Mid Atlantic going to be dry. Midwest going to be wet. Northeast heat wave and just nasy spring coming.

This is the winter that just may be the straw that broke my back. I have owned a house for 14 years now. I shoveled thru the 8 feet of snow in 2001, the October storm back in 2008 I believe, but this winter is the worst winter ever that I could remember in WNY. First we get 80 inches of snow in friggen the middle of November, fine all melted within 2 weeks, December we got no snow, but these last 6 weeks have been the worst stretch of weather for such a long period of time that I could remember. It is not like we got a major storm but everyday it is bitterly cold & we get 3-4 inches overnight. Then the plows come & it seems like I am shoveling before I go to work in the mroning at least 3 out of the 5 days. Now they are saying temps are going to go down to -8 this weekend. I mean it is virtually impossible to be that cold around here with us being next to the lake but nevertheless I have just about had it. My driveway looks like sh*t too, I can't keep up shoveling especially at the end of the driveway where the plows come in. You think one of my neighbors would help me out as they all have snow blowers. Ah F*ck them, they will get their's when the weather gets a bit warmer & me & my son go around the neighborhood & egg all the houses. But I am seriously reconsidering my position on owning a snow blower. May have to break down & buy one.

This is the winter that just may be the straw that broke my back. I have owned a house for 14 years now. I shoveled thru the 8 feet of snow in 2001, the October storm back in 2008 I believe, but this winter is the worst winter ever that I could remember in WNY. First we get 80 inches of snow in friggen the middle of November, fine all melted within 2 weeks, December we got no snow, but these last 6 weeks have been the worst stretch of weather for such a long period of time that I could remember. It is not like we got a major storm but everyday it is bitterly cold & we get 3-4 inches overnight. Then the plows come & it seems like I am shoveling before I go to work in the mroning at least 3 out of the 5 days. Now they are saying temps are going to go down to -8 this weekend. I mean it is virtually impossible to be that cold around here with us being next to the lake but nevertheless I have just about had it. My driveway looks like sh*t too, I can't keep up shoveling especially at the end of the driveway where the plows come in. You think one of my neighbors would help me out as they all have snow blowers. Ah F*ck them, they will get their's when the weather gets a bit warmer & me & my son go around the neighborhood & egg all the houses. But I am seriously reconsidering my position on owning a snow blower. May have to break down & buy one.

Just do it. I spent last winter, like yourself, waking up at 5am so I could shovel my driveway before work. There were a few times when we got big snow storms (2' plus) where I paid $30 a pop to have someone plow my driveway. Had issues with back and neck pain. Screw it. I paid less than $800 for a 28" snow blower, and I don't regret it for a second. The way I look at it, between hiring someone a few times a year and trips to the chiropractor, it will pay for itself within 3 years.

One of my neighbors is a lonely elderly woman. I do her small driveway and walkway too. Takes me an additional 10 minutes for the karma bonus. If you do buy one, look for great sales in the early spring.

WTF! I am Mr. Anti-Snowblower... But here we only get on average about 40" a year with the Chicago record being 89" or so in the late 1970's and just over 80" last year... Which leads me to: How the heck do you NOT own some kind of efficient snow removal machine/implement (other than a snow shovel) living in "The Snow Belt!"

All I have to say is: "Wow! Just WOW!" :D Sorry had to use it! :nana:

One of my neighbors is a lonely elderly woman. I do her small driveway and walkway too. Takes me an additional 10 minutes for the karma bonus. If you do buy one, look for great sales in the early spring.

Who the hell are you fooling 'Sticks... Karma? You're hoping she leaves you in her will! :nana::nana:

I grew up in Erie. Chicago should be ashamed of itself. For a city that likes to fancy itself an all-weather town, the collective freak out...over 17 !@#$ing inches...was pitiful.

Now, having said that, having grown up accustom to at least one three-footer every winter, last year's winter in Chicago was hands down the WORST of my entire life. I think we made it 10 straight days without once surpassing 0 degrees.

And it stayed frigid WELL into March.

This year, in spite of last week (the 5th largest accumulation in City history (how sad is that?)) has been wonderfully mild.

I grew up in Erie. Chicago should be ashamed of itself. For a city that likes to fancy itself an all-weather town, the collective freak out...over 17 !@#$ing inches...was pitiful.

Now, having said that, having grown up accustom to at least one three-footer every winter, last year's winter in Chicago was hands down the WORST of my entire life. I think we made it 10 straight days without once surpassing 0 degrees.

And it stayed frigid WELL into March.

This year, in spite of last week (the 5th largest accumulation in City history (how sad is that?)) has been wonderfully mild.

There is only around 100,000 people in Erie. The problem I find is the mass of people coupled w/the weather to be the problem.

With that, yeah, I agree... But there is 9 million people from WI through IL and to IN. Given it so flat (think the whole area being the 219 in The Southern Tier), 17 inches is like snow on steroids. A drift on a road can wipe it all out under 4 or more feet.

It is much, much colder here with lack of big snow... But one time in the mid-1990's my wife was making her way back up I-57 from Champaign... Normally takes 2 hours... Took her 9. State Police kept closing the road and cars waited in a queue until the plows could actually find the interstate and plow a path. Not much snow fell... Around a foot, but the winds were brutal on that open flat road.

yeah you'll miss that snow when you don't have any water this year. Mid Atlantic going to be dry. Midwest going to be wet. Northeast heat wave and just nasy spring coming.

Little snow, but we are getting rain.

Mother Nature is letting Boston know what if feels about Cheating in the NFL

The DC area has been getting some decent rain this winter, staying just a couple degrees higher than what's needed for snow. So we're still getting precipitation, just not the sort you plow.