Bryce Brown surprised he isn't playing

YoloinOhio

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reporter- "So Bryce, how's it going being inactive every game? Is this what you were expecting?"

Bryce- "Absolutely, It's going great. I wasn't expecting to play all year."

bryce - i knew coming in that the backfield was crowded and the coaches made the situation clear to me. im working hard to do X, Y or Z that they told me in order to earn a spot on the gameday roster.

vs

bryce -- even at the close of preseason i was under the impression that i would not just be active but getting carries

whether thats on bryce or the team, or both.... probably a bit of both.

Edited by NoSaint

It was a dumb trade. You can find a Brown in every draft, probably with a lower draft pick. He didn't play in Philly either or really in college. He is the 2nd biggest myth going next to Kirk Cousins is an awesome QB who needs to play.

And even if he plays, do we think this offense will get the most out of him?

brown was actually one of the top 3 recruits in the country, all positions, out of HS. He had some off the field stuff that affected his draft status. It's his own fault he wasn't drafted higher. Had he applied himself better in college or at Phil he wouldn't be in this situation However, it isn't easy to just grab an RB like him in the 4th or later. He is versatile in that that he can run between the tackles and has size, but he's almost as fast as CJ. He also has less tread on the tires than many RBs coming out if college due to his unique circumstances. Also, a lot of the RBs coming out if school are smaller guys more suited to a spread offense. It's harder to find the Carlos Hydes and easier to find the Lache Seastrunks after the 4th rd. The trade looked better to me when I thought CJ was going to be used to suit his strengths. Because if CJ hit hurt OR Fred got hurt, brown could replace that role since he is a blend of both of them. But since CJ isn't in a CJ type role anyway, I have no idea. I think they are stashing him for next year as they don't expect CJ back and they are rolling the dice on Fred staying productive/healthy at his age. Edited by YoloinOhio

that he expected to be playing, even after preseason, is potentially a red flag on whether marrone is handling expectations properly.

i havent said it before, but perhaps he is used to dealing with college kids that have no choice but to sit down and shut up where in the nfl theres a little more of an art to managing the Mike Williams and Bryce Brown and such? or are we just getting players that need to learn to manage their own expectations?

I agree with this. I think college coaches sometimes have trouble with this. But it's not like Marrone hasn't spent time in the NFL before. Wasn't the majority of his coaching time spent in the NFL and not in college? He should know better.

It was a dumb trade. You can find a Brown in every draft, probably with a lower draft pick. He didn't play in Philly either or really in college. He is the 2nd biggest myth going next to Kirk Cousins is an awesome QB who needs to play.

Got to disagree. When he was given the opportunity to play in Philly, he put up some really good numbers. If Hacket insists on running the ball up the middle, I would much rather see Brown doing it than C.J. Hell, I'd even rather see Dixon doing it than C.J. I know there are tons of discussions on this, but C. J. will never be a between the tackles kind of runner, so if you are going to run that play, you have to find a back that can run it.

brown was actually one of the top 3 recruits in the country, all positions, out of HS. He had some off the field stuff that affected his draft status. It's his own fault he wasn't drafted higher. Had he applied himself better in college or at Phil he wouldn't be in this situation However, it isn't easy to just grab an RB like him in the 4th or later. He is versatile in that that he can run between the tackles and has size, but he's almost as fast as CJ. He also has less tread on the tires than many RBs coming out if college due to his unique circumstances. Also, a lot of the RBs coming out if school are smaller guys more suited to a spread offense. It's harder to find the Carlos Hydes and easier to find the Lache Seastrunks after the 4th rd. The trade looked better to me when I thought CJ was going to be used to suit his strengths. Because if CJ hit hurt OR Fred got hurt, brown could replace that role since he is a blend of both of them. But since CJ isn't in a CJ type role anyway, I have no idea. I think they are stashing him for next year as they don't expect CJ back and they are rolling the dice on Fred staying productive/healthy at his age.

You make fair points Yolo, but here's a draft history of rbs. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

Zac Stacy in the 5th, Andre Ellington in the 6th, Alfred Morris in the 6th, James Stark in the 6th, Oliver undrafted. Is Brown's talent level really that much better than those guys that we needed to invest a 4th round pick when we have 3 other rbs? I don't think it is.

I generally like our FA moves and trades. I just feel like this was a waste we didn't need to do.

I'll add that by the time he does play he will know the protections and calls by being in TC and practice all year , instead of bringing in a rookie next year as they usually struggle with that stuff early on. Mostly the injury insurance thing though.

I know many want to blame Marrone for everything, but the player personnel director (Monos?) is typically just as accountable for setting expectations. Keep in mind you are hearing one side that the media has decided to put out there.

Got to disagree. When he was given the opportunity to play in Philly, he put up some really good numbers. If Hacket insists on running the ball up the middle, I would much rather see Brown doing it than C.J. Hell, I'd even rather see Dixon doing it than C.J. I know there are tons of discussions on this, but C. J. will never be a between the tackles kind of runner, so if you are going to run that play, you have to find a back that can run it.

Again, the Eagles had the best run blocking oline in the NFL last year. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/4/ The Bills were ranked 29th in run blocking. This year, we're 27th in run blocking. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It is so easy to blame the rbs but it's the oline and the unimagnitive playcalling. I like to go by what smart teams are doing. Well, the Eagles traded Brown for a 4th and were trying to get Spiller. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24526531/report-eagles-tried-to-trade-for-cj-spiller

Why do you think that is?

You make fair points Yolo, but here's a draft history of rbs. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

Zac Stacy in the 5th, Andre Ellington in the 6th, Alfred Morris in the 6th, James Stark in the 6th, Oliver undrafted. Is Brown's talent level really that much better than those guys that we needed to invest a 4th round pick when we have 3 other rbs? I don't think it is.

I generally like our FA moves and trades. I just feel like this was a waste we didn't need to do.

im really just going by what the draftniks are saying about future drafts, not previous drafts, in relation to who will be coming out next year. For example NE took James white in the 4th this year, and he has been inactive all year. They are already scouting for next year, probably don't see a guy they would take and are getting him in the fold now but not using then unless they need to. Edited by YoloinOhio

Or a UDFA like Branden Oliver who used to work out in your own field house.

Or a UDFA like Branden Oliver who used to work out in your own field house.

I was worried about Oliver making the team here with all our rbs. But if we are redshirting rbs anyways, I'd rather him him and a 4th than Brown. He is the perfect size for a rb and is a gamer. No surprise at all that he has found a place in the NFL.

Turner Gill was a great recruiter.

I saw some surmise on Twitter that the move was made for 2015. Unless someone gets hurt, of course, then he will play. Insurance this year, will play every week next year. At this point though, I would like to see him get some snaps now over CJ at least to get a look.

I heard the same thing. What is surpriising is I heard from several sources that the coaching staff loves him. Well if they love him so much to not even give him any playing time is baffling. Just another example how marrone is alienating this lockerroom. Makes decisions that simply make no sense.

I'll add that by the time he does play he will know the protections and calls by being in TC and practice all year , instead of bringing in a rookie next year as they usually struggle with that stuff early on. Mostly the injury insurance thing though.

I know many want to blame Marrone for everything, but the player personnel director (Monos?) is typically just as accountable for setting expectations. Keep in mind you are hearing one side that the media has decided to put out there.

the media is putting out a direct quote from a player.

and yes, organizationally there are a lot of people that are responsible for managing the talent/personalities but marrone is where the buck stops for the most part. if these prove to be some isolated incidents, so be it. it just seems like theres been consistent chatter around him with issues moving across a lot of departments -- public dust ups with whaley, brandon, the issues with the training staff, player issues have been atleast at a low level consistent.....

You make fair points Yolo, but here's a draft history of rbs. http://www.drafthist...hp/positions/rb

Yes

I heard the same thing. What is surpriising is I heard from several sources that the coaching staff loves him. Well if they love him so much to not even give him any playing time is baffling. Just another example how marrone is alienating this lockerroom. Makes decisions that simply make no sense.

they may love him, but that doesn't mean he's going to get the call automatically if he doesn't contribute to ST and there are 4 other RBs to dress. But of course the season isn't even half over. He could very well play if they decide he would be better than CJ in the role they are using him for. Personally, I think he could be.

I've seen Cousins throw for 350+ yards (and also play a stinker of a game the next week)...but at least I can judge for myself by watching him play. Marshawn Lynch was dead weight on the Bills but turned out ok in Seattle. Perhaps we should see what happens when he steps on the field?? We've seen enough CJ in the last four weeks to try an alternative.

Marshawn Lynch was actually terrific in his first two seasons with the Bills. We shouldn't forget that.