Favorite 50's music.

Gents, few weeks ago on American Masters on PBS featured Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

I will be the first to say i had not heard of her, but damn watch this condensed clip. Maybe y'all knew her before, i did not.What an influenece i think on all the 50's rock and roll early icons

Now have several of her tracks on the library.

Here is the enitre show...great watch

http://video.pbs.org/video/2337391461/

:thumbsup: Good stuff.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I had the chance to meet the great Chuck Berry about 4 years ago. Drove an hour and a half to the venue. Paid $100 for a front row ticket. Waited outside his dressing room door for about three hours before the show to get an autograph on his book that I owned, and my guitar. I got there around 4. He didn't come out. 5, 6, 6:30. Nothing. Doors open at 7, still no sign of Chuck.. 7:30 the opening band starts, nothing. 7:45 a car pulls up, and Chuck Berry finally shows up. He wouldn't sign my guitar, because he only signs Gibsons, but agreed to sign my book. He then looks me in the eye, and says the wisest thing I've ever heard anybody say. A true music legend. He looks at me, and says, "Boy! You gotta stop shaking If you want me to sign this!"

Then, he played the show, it was an hour long, tops. Didn't play School Days or No Particular Place To Go. I happened to see him in the parking lot afterwards. It was a small venue in a small town called Winnie Texas, about an hour from Houston. The venue owner was going to give him a ride in his truck, but Chuck doesn't ride in trucks. He only rides in cars. So he went back inside, and waited an hour till they called a chauffeur driving a car.

Also\

• Jerry Lee Lewis
  • Little Richard
  • Fats Domino
  • Muddy Waters

And the rock and roll founding father that people always forget

Bo Diddley.

I love 50s music. However, it wasn't all great. There's a reason the names mentioned are still considered good. I watched some old footage of some variety show concert I found online. It had Little Richard, Chuck Berry, A doo wop group or two that I knew about. The rest were groups I'd never heard of. I was interested in hearing them. For the most part, other than a dime a dozen doo wop group or two, it was just awful.