Help Slash find an old friend

truth on hold

A note from Slash:

"I'm trying to find a Les Paul that I used back in the early 90's. I've since lost track of it. It was an 1989/90 Gibson Goldtop, serial #70854. I always loved that guitar and would be interested in buying it back from whomever has it…. I'll make it worth their while"

http://slashonline.c...-an-old-friend/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I just heard a story the other day about how Joe Perry in the early 80's had to sell a '59 Les Paul to pay bills. Many years later Slash turned up with it on the cover of a magazine, after several years of asking to buy it back, Slash gave it back to Joe at one of his birthday parties. Seems odd, now slash is looking for a long lost guitar... huh.

I just heard a story the other day about how Joe Perry in the early 80's had to sell a '59 Les Paul to pay bills. Many years later Slash turned up with it on the cover of a magazine, after several years of asking to buy it back, Slash gave it back to Joe at one of his birthday parties. Seems odd, now slash is looking for a long lost guitar... huh.

Aren't those the ones worth a million bucks ?

They're extremely rare, I know that. It's how Joe Perry knew the one on the mag cover was his. The actual value, I'm not sure. Perry kept asking to buy it back, and Slash would say I can't yet, Perry eventually resided to the fact that he wouldn't get it back. Then while playing on stage w/ Cheap Trick at his own birthday party, his wife brought it out. Kinda cool.

lol @ some of the comments:

Bruno Presotto

if i have this guitar i would give to slash for free just to meet him EPIC thats my dream to meet slash i love him every time i see him I can t stop tell me why I have not met him yet. so i love you slash if you see this im lucky but eats in Brazil for me to go on your show im not gay … icon_smile.gif and good luck to find your guitar.

Bruno Presotto

Posted May 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

if i have this guitar i would give to slash for free just to meet him EPIC thats my dream to meet slash i love him every time i see him I can t stop tell me why I have not met him yet. so i love you slash if you see this im lucky but eats in Brazil for me to go on your show im not gay … icon_smile.gif and good luck to find your guitar.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

lol @ some of the comments:

Bruno Presotto

Bruno Presotto

Curitiba?

A note from Slash:

"I'm trying to find a Les Paul that I used back in the early 90's. I've since lost track of it. It was an 1989/90 Gibson Goldtop, serial #70854. I always loved that guitar and would be interested in buying it back from whomever has it…. I'll make it worth their while"

http://slashonline.c...-an-old-friend/

wish I had that guitar.

A '59 Les Paul associated with a 'Name' player unmolested, with provenance could still be worth $1 million. The market otherwise, has come down quite a bit on these guitars. A half a million + could otherwise be had for a '59 Les Paul Standard w/o provenance say, in 2005. Probably 100-200K in today's market. There are less than 1000 accounted for that have the splashy, highly figured Curly Maple top.

I used to know a musician from Boston who bought a '59 'Burst from a music store in Troy,N.Y. for $250 back in 1969.

Eric Clapton,and Jeff Beck gave this model its momentum in popularity, and desirability.

Joe Six pack is correct. 5-6 K would get you a nice example back in the early to mid '80's.

Today, you can buy a spec'd out reissue from Gibson Guitars for about six grand that is quite nice.

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

I believe I read a while back he also doesn't know where his Marshall 1959T(otherwise known as the Super Tremelo) he used to record parts of the Appetite for Destruction with. And that he hasn't been able to replicate the tone he got with it since then because it had some custom modifications done to it.

The story goes that he rented the Amp head and then attempted not to return it.... but got it "repossessed".

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I believe I read a while back he also doesn't know where his Marshall 1959T(otherwise known as the Super Tremelo) he used to record parts of the Appetite for Destruction with. And that he hasn't been able to replicate the tone he got with it since then because it had some custom modifications done to it.

The story goes that he rented the Amp head and then attempted not to return it.... but got it "repossessed".

Sound of his guitar and playing was crazy-good back then. Wish I could do that!