A Football Life-Doug Flutie

it doesn't matter if i believe the rumors about Flutie feeding babies to rabid dogs, or the one about RJ donating half his brain to a homeless man before leaving Jacksonville.. maybe they're true.. maybe they're not.. the only thing that matters is - they both broke my heart in Nashville. helluva thing.

Huh... the story I heard was Flutie fed half of Johnson's brain to a homeless rabid baby. Go figure.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone hating on Flutie probably thinks Rob Johnson was Flutie. You guys are confused.

That is the only explanation for all this hate.

It's gotta be.

I dislike Aaron Maybin, Trent Edwards, Jp Losman, and Rob Johnson. Common denominator. They never proved their worth.

Doug Flutie did. Plain and simple. The argument that "the defense did it" is bs. You still need a qb back there. Lots of qbs have benefited from a good defense. Brady, Eli, Dilfer to name a few.

At the end of the day WINS count. Not how they happen. I enjoyed last week's win but also realize we got lucky. But I'll take it. If the next 8 games all end in miracle game winning field goals. I'm not going to care. I'll take a 12-4 record.

Capish?

Everyone hating on Flutie probably thinks Rob Johnson was Flutie. You guys are confused.

It's gotta be.

I dislike Aaron Maybin, Trent Edwards, Jp Losman, and Rob Johnson. Common denominator. They never proved their worth.

Doug Flutie did. Plain and simple. The argument that "the defense did it" is bs. You still need a qb back there. Lots of qbs have benefited from a good defense. Brady, Eli, Dilfer to name a few.

At the end of the day WINS count. Not how they happen. I enjoyed last week's win but also realize we got lucky. But I'll take it. If the next 8 games all end in miracle game winning field goals. I'm not going to care. I'll take a 12-4 record.

Capish?

Pats*, Giants and Ravens all won playoff games, oh - including Super Bowls - with those QBs.

I think you can see that the hatred for Flutie is not in favor of other players. It's just the opinion of one person - Doug Flutie.

You are correct. Wins count. And it is my opinion that few, if any, of the Bills' wins were due to the fantastic play of Doug Flutie. He was a horrible QB.

Gary Carter wanted 20 bucks from me to sign a card at a AAA baseball game.

Being 8 and unemployed I didnt have the cash. Thought it was a d bag move. Kevin Mitchell, magadan, teuffel among others signed and smiled.

So that's what happened; Flutie wouldn't sign an autograph for Gugny! Now it all makes sense!

p.s. I loved Kevin Mitchell. Still pissed at the Mets for dumping him.

Edited by KD in CT

It's gotta be.

Capish?

Flutie is 0-2 lifetime in the playoffs with 5 total turnovers in those two games. The focus on just regular season wins proving NOTHING, to be honest, since you can't reach the ultimate goal of a championship without WINNING playoff games. Frankly, he wasn't good enough for that, and that's why he NEVER got the opportunity to play for other teams as a starter. The role of the non-franchise starting QB on a team with a great defense is to take care of the football, and he failed.

Edited by BmoreBills

So that's what happened; Flutie wouldn't sign an autograph for Gugny! Now it all makes sense!

p.s. I loved Kevin Mitchell. Still pissed at the Mets for dumping him.

Loved Kevin Mitchell, too. George Foster would not give my sister an autograph because she was wearing a Darryl Strawberry sweatshirt. The only thing I ever would have asked Flutie to sign back then would have been a promissory note to leave Orchard Park and never come back.

Pats*, Giants and Ravens all won playoff games, oh - including Super Bowls - with those QBs.

I think you can see that the hatred for Flutie is not in favor of other players. It's just the opinion of one person - Doug Flutie.

You are correct. Wins count. And it is my opinion that few, if any, of the Bills' wins were due to the fantastic play of Doug Flutie. He was a horrible QB.

Ha, not now but at the time the hatred for Flutie provide the Rob is better than Doug debate. That is clearly not the case now so if one was on that side they would be reduced to Flutie sucks ... because X,Y, Z.

He may have been a bad QB but that dismisses the fact that he won as a starter in college, in the CFL, and in the NFL.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

Loved Kevin Mitchell, too. George Foster would not give my sister an autograph because she was wearing a Darryl Strawberry sweatshirt. The only thing I ever would have asked Flutie to sign back then would have been a promissory note to leave Orchard Park and never come back.

You just hate things that are awesome.

right.

I just watched it and looking back it was shame that he didn't start our last playoff game. His biggest downfall was playing in the pocket which Belicheat always exploited when he was Jets DC.

If we could combine Doug and Kyle together we would have one of the best QBs ever.

I love the Beatles (awesome). I love my family (awesome). I loved the Bills and the Mets when they were awesome.

I can honestly say that Doug Flutie is the only Buffalo Bill whom I have ever disliked. I did not like Jeff Kent when he was a Met. He was really good/borderline awesome.

I looked at Flutie's college stats. Yeah, he sucked every year except his Senior year. That's not awesome; and his NFL career was pathetic.

So I am going to respectfully challenge your assertion that I hate things that are awesome. I love most awesome things and hate very few awesome things.

And Doug Flutie (football-wise) has never been awesome at any level other than the CFL.

I love the Beatles (awesome). I love my family (awesome). I loved the Bills and the Mets when they were awesome.

I can honestly say that Doug Flutie is the only Buffalo Bill whom I have ever disliked. I did not like Jeff Kent when he was a Met. He was really good/borderline awesome.

I looked at Flutie's college stats. Yeah, he sucked every year except his Senior year. That's not awesome; and his NFL career was pathetic.

So I am going to respectfully challenge your assertion that I hate things that are awesome. I love most awesome things and hate very few awesome things.

And Doug Flutie (football-wise) has never been awesome at any level other than the CFL.

More revisionist history to fit your personal hatred of Flutie. BC wasn't a football school before Flutie got there. The coach before Jack Bicknell left for a better opportunity at KENT STATE. Flutie/Bicknell put BC on the map. His "numbers" weren't pretty because the team wasn't very good but they weren't out of step for an era that was more about power football than passing. Only a handful of teams in the early 80s were passing teams with completion percentages over 60% (think Miami, Florida, BYU). For example, in 1982, the Auburn team BC played in their bowl game finished the season with a 51% CPC, less than 1200 yards and 7TDs passing but were ranked 14th in the polls.

There are additional statistics on the below link that disprove your hypothesis. Don't let little things like facts get in the way of a good hate.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/doug-flutie-1.html

More revisionist history to fit your personal hatred of Flutie. BC wasn't a football school before Flutie got there. The coach before Jack Bicknell left for a better opportunity at KENT STATE. Flutie/Bicknell put BC on the map. His "numbers" weren't pretty because the team wasn't very good but they weren't out of step for an era that was more about power football than passing. Only a handful of teams in the early 80s were passing teams with completion percentages over 60% (think Miami, Florida, BYU). For example, in 1982, the Auburn team BC played in their bowl game finished the season with a 51% CPC, less than 1200 yards and 7TDs passing but were ranked 14th in the polls.

There are additional statistics on the below link that disprove your hypothesis. Don't let little things like facts get in the way of a good hate.

http://www.sports-re...g-flutie-1.html

Agreed!

College: Heisman trophy

USFL: 11-7(only year he play he was injured late in the season)

CLF: 3 grey cup Champions and MVPs

NFL: 1998(Pro Bowl)Helped lead Bills to Playoffs, 1999 Helped lead Bills to Playoffs 2000 4-1 as a starting backup for Johnson who was 4-7

-Neither he nor Johnson did anything after the 2000 year, but by then Flutie was 39/40 years old. Even with that he had the most rushing yards and touchdowns by players over 40, when he retired.

If the things they say about him are true I see why you would dislike him as a person, but please to say he was not a good football player seems silly.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

Agreed!

College: Heisman trophy

USFL: 11-7(only year he play he was injured late in the season)

CLF: 3 grey cup Champions and MVPs

NFL: 1998(Pro Bowl)Helped lead Bills to Playoffs, 1999 Helped lead Bills to Playoffs 2000 4-1 as a starting backup for Johnson who was 4-7

-Neither he nor Johnson did anything after the 2000 year, but by then Flutie was 39/40 years old. Even with that he had the most rushing yards and touchdowns by players over 40, when he retired.

If the things they say about him are true I see why you would dislike him as a person, but please to say he was not a good football player seems silly.

I was going to bring this up in another thread in reference to the start of Brees' career, but it's just as applicable to the end of Flutie's.

People forget how bad SD was back then. Flutie joined a team that finished dead last the year before.

The offensive line was truly horrific; one of the worst I've seen. The receivers were abysmal and I believe led the league in drops that year. Their #1 WR was Curtis Conway of all people. LT was the only other talented member of that offense and he was a rookie who averaged around 3.5 ypc.

I watched SD all season & 39 yr old Flutie played pretty well, but you'd have needed Peyton Manning to win with that crowd. Brees couldn't do it either.

Edited by Rob's House

http://www.sports-re...g-flutie-1.html

When is a year in which a QB has 13 TD and 20 INT a good year? Or 17/15, for that matter?

And again ... who cares if he was good in college? How many PHENOMENAL college quarterbacks have sucked in the NFL? A lot.

Re: his rushes whilst in the NFL ... why? Were they designed runs? Or were they broken plays - which broke because he was unable to read a defense?

I've already conceded that he was a decent college QB. I still opine that he sucked in the NFL ... as a QB and as a teammate.

And what's the pool of players over 40 that he beat out for that ridiculous "accolade?"

Edited by Gugny

Flutie is 0-2 lifetime in the playoffs with 5 total turnovers in those two games. The focus on just regular season wins proving NOTHING, to be honest, since you can't reach the ultimate goal of a championship without WINNING playoff games. Frankly, he wasn't good enough for that, and that's why he NEVER got the opportunity to play for other teams as a starter. The role of the non-franchise starting QB on a team with a great defense is to take care of the football, and he failed.

When he left Buffalo he was the starter in San Diego.

lol.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl