A Football Life-Doug Flutie

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the episode. Entertaining. It brought back fond memories of exciting, winning football. Best moment was, spoiler alert, when Wade said he was forced not to play Flutie and that in hindsight Flutie would have beaten the Titans. They covered RJ stats that day, they were as I remembered, crap.

Just watched the episode. Entertaining. It brought back fond memories of exciting, winning football. Best moment was, spoiler alert, when Wade said he was forced not to play Flutie and that in hindsight Flutie would have beaten the Titans. They covered RJ stats that day, they were as I remembered, crap.

Yup, Ralph screwed the pooch with the Titan game decision.

I never understood the vitriol toward Flutie either. Guy always played hard and won 70% of his starts. A good defense doesn't do that alone. I think people were just pissed that RJ turned out to be a bust so they took it out on the 5' 9" guy who proved he was a better football player.

Edited by KD in CT

The sight of him with Doug Jr broke my heart. To have your child totally drift away into autism at 2 1/2 is horribly cruel. I know cause it happened to my son too. But watching those last minutes with those two together on the beach puts the banality of this whole argument into focus.

Edited by jester43

The sight of him with Doug Jr broke my heart. To have your child totally drift away into autism at 2 1/2 is horribly cruel. I know cause it happened to my son too. But watching those last minutes with those two together on the beach puts the banality of this whole argument into focus.

His focus on the positives by saying what's Doug Jr. good at? "lighting up a room' was a great reminder to me on how people should be viewed.

They look like they are enjoying themselves down in SD.

Edited by agardin

+1

Johnson only completed 10 passes, sacked 6 times including a safety, fumbled the ball deep in Titans territory, and threw for zero TD's that game. Johnson only played good for 2 minutes of the game and that's what some people only remember and act as if he played great all game long.

I enjoyed the episode last night and it brought back some good memories of when Flutie was the Bills QB and when the Bills were in the playoffs.

Always was and always will be a Flutie fan. For a franchise to recover from multiple super bowl losses, the organization has not recovered from the decision to bench Flutie and the loss to the Titans in the playoffs.

+1

The biggest boneheaded decision in franchise history.

I know he 'did enough to win' argument but truth is that until that last drive RJ looked pretty crummy. No one knows what might have happened with Flutie but considering he was better at playing football I am going to go with he might have had more success. No way to know for sure.

I think that is what fuels Flutie's fans. He was clearly ripped off. He went 8 and 3 and lost in the playoff in a game that he and his team did not play well. He then goes out and wins 10 the next year to be benched. There is no argument that I have heard that will convince me thst RJ gets that start after beating an Indy team that had packed their bags. Then we have Bills supporters that compare him to Aaron Maybin? I remember that team before Flutie got to Buffalo, they were awful. I stand with I don't get the hate.

Wade Phillips admitted in the documentary that "we'd have won if Flutie had played."

I'm no Flutopian but if any QB in the history of the NFL was "figured out", it was Johnson.

I did. The 99 team has the lowest yards/play in team history, 4.3. Better than the 85 bears and far better than the 64 or 65 bills. Tied with 00 ravens. All gone to waste because the little guy couldn't throw.

That defense was awesome. They used to just physically beat the **** out of people. It wasn't wasted because of Flutie. It was wasted because of a bad offensive line, a pedestrian running game, an offensive coordinator who lacked innovation, and the lack of a first round pick because we'd spent it acquiring Johnson (which could have been Fred Taylor, suddenly making some of the woes seem not so bad). Flutie certainly wasn't a great QB but he was good enough to overcome some of the challenges that were in front of him. Honestly I think the biggest issue at that point was his age. It seemed to me that he was like an older major league pitcher whose arm got tired as the season went on and the first thing that went was his fastball.

Flutie reminds me of Fitzy except with a little better accuracy. They both made their offensive lines look better than they were. Either get rid of the ball quickly, move around to buy time, or improvise and run for it.

Players that hang in the pocket too long get clobbered with lines like that (RJ for example).

I had no idea there were Bills fans who hated this guy. He was thrilling to watch, played with heart, and won games with a bad offense.

And the fact that he was the last QB to get us to the playoffs 14 years ago.

Doesn't seem logical.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with any of this.

He was thrilling to watch because he wasn't good enough to read defenses and execute plays as they were planned. He was always improvising because of that. And it looked exciting, when it was actually just bad QB'ing.

Heart? The only thing Doug Flutie has ever had heart for is himself. He didn't care about winning. He just wanted to be the starter on a football team. Never been a more self-centered player in football (perhaps until Tebow came along).

Bad offense? Eric Moulds, Peerless Price and Andre Reed at WR. Riemersma at TE. Linton and Smith rushed for about 1500 yards combined. Plus they had Sam Gash.

And as if that wasn't enough, he had the league's best defense supporting him, too.

The guy sucked, in my opinion. The fact that he's an egotistical dick makes it even worse. Loved the day he left.

* EDIT - Just want to add that my opinion of Flutie as a QB, and my opinion about the massive size of his ego, have ZERO to do with Flutie as a father. I have no doubt he's a top notch dad.

Edited by Gugny

If I were to post something it would just echo your sentiments. Such a captivating segment of the documentary, especially the following quotations:

"(Might be) The football mentality: You learn to accept what has been dealt to you and you start to move forward."

"Looking past limitations. Accentuating attributes. Erasing doubt."

Brilliant and applicable to every aspect of life.

If I were to post something it would just echo your sentiments. Such a captivating segment of the documentary, especially the following quotations:

"(Might be) The football mentality: You learn to accept what has been dealt to you and you start to move forward."

"Looking past limitations. Accentuating attributes. Erasing doubt."

Brilliant and applicable to every aspect of life.

+1

Great words to live by.