This year is different

I think it's fair to say the Bills currently have a playoff caliber roster in which they can build around for years to come. An elite QB and a couple FA signings and they are a SB contender. Of course, that is easier said than done, but at least it's a start, and it's been a long time since I could even say legitimate playoff contender...

Edited by ricojes

What Whaley essentially did was sign an experienced, starting caliber QB for 5 mill/yr. he may not be a great starter that can carry a team but at the same time we aren't playing him 100 mill so we have the ability to stack talent elsewhere that can make him look better than he is (I.e. A guy who can make a 58 yard FG, a guy who can make a circus catch if your throw isn't perfect, a D who will not make you need to score 30 to win). Most experts who follow the team even remotely felt the Bills had a playoff caliber roster if they could overcome EJ's inexperience and beat the Pats*. They have done the first, now need to do the second.

Obviously, today is the start of a new era of Buffalo Bills Football. It has given me a chance to reflect a little bit on the great years in the early 90's to the struggles of the past decade and a half. While I'm hesistant to buy in too much I really believe this year is different.

When I look at the Bills roster I think when was the last time that the Bills had this many players that a good team would want? Even when the Bills got off to a good start in 2008 they had a few good young players and a decent team but nowhere near the talent on the roster now. By my count even the best teams would want: AW, Dareus, Kyle Williams, Kiko, Sammy, Glenn, Mario, Hughes, Carpenter and then you have some really good players in Graham, Gilmore, Freddie, Bradham, Spikes, Woods and Mike Williams. I am not trying to leave out guys but just proving a point. The Bills have guys that can play anywhere which hasn't been the case in a while. They have the most talented team in the division.

There is some poetic symmetry to the Bills ending the Wilson era in Detroit and starting the Pegula era at home against New Emgland. The unofficial changing of the guard. Let's hope that this positive momentum continues!! Go Bills

The Bills have never challenged the Pats during the more than decade long Brady/Belichick era. That psychological wall is still there. The Pats have always relied on the Bills being at a disadvantage mentally and there has always been a feeling of inevitability of a Pats win in this matchup.

If the Bills do win this game, that wall will officially be broken down. If they don't, they may never get another shot at the Brady/Belichick era with the stakes so high because it does look like their time in NFL history is drawing to a close. It's crazy to think what a win against the "riding high again" Pats would do to the psyche of this team and it's fans. When was the last time the Bills had a season that mattered? That video of the MCM looks so old now. A win this weekend against the Pats wakes up a long dormant franchise like nothing else could. The atmosphere should be incredible before the game. As bad as this team has looked the last three games, I have a feeling that them pulling out an improbable win against Detriot was a sign that they aren't the same Bills and that wall is coming down this weekend.

It's hard to argue the team isn't different. They are. No one promised and AFC Championship game, or even the playoffs. Do we have that kind of talent? I think we do, and that's different. Someone mentioned the mental toughness. To that I would add we are a more physical team than in years past. The talent level may not be quite where we need it in a few spots, but this team is different. New ownership can only enhance the current energy. The biggest short term issue (other than QB, of course) Is finding out if Marrone (and staff) belongs in our future, and if not, hitting a home run with the next one. You can't whiff with this talent, but you also have better options because of it. I hope we can stay the course and it's a beautiful ride..... The wait has been long enough.

My son is 7 and is playing on his first team of organized sports and has really taking to football which has surprised me and the coaches are so impressed with him that they drew over him on both sides of the ball and he sits and watches every game with me now from start to finish and it's all football all the time with him and I love every minute of it. Even Mondays and Thursdays games, my point is what a great time to be a fan! We as true bills fans that have watched the glory days and the last decade we know what's a winning season feels like but duri g that time he would watch my ups and downs but now he gets to grow into the new team new owners new attitude and it is awesome. And I see it on the field I. The voices of the players and even some of the posters on here. But I am just really glad he will grow up here In Buffalo with me watching our team win and loose but he will be a true fan. I gave up me season tickets the yr he was born and I am kicking myself now but the. I thought it was the right choise now not so much when he says dad can we go, it sucks so time to get them back. Great time for us old fans and a great time for the new ones.. Go bills

Team looks a little different but I'm still not sure yet. Sure we're 3-2 which is cool. We're 2-1 om close games which is different. Usually we're the opposite. Of the 3 close games we've only found a new way to lose one of them.

However other teams that weren't different were able to do similar things.

I'll believe it's different when, you know it is different. Getting the 9th win will do it for me.

I agree that this year feels different. It has never felt more like things were breaking our way than it does right now. I honestly think we win Sunday, and go on a little run, THIS team may be the one to finally turn the corner and bring some joy back to Buffalo....

My son is 7 and is playing on his first team of organized sports and has really taking to football which has surprised me and the coaches are so impressed with him that they drew over him on both sides of the ball and he sits and watches every game with me now from start to finish and it's all football all the time with him and I love every minute of it. Even Mondays and Thursdays games, my point is what a great time to be a fan! We as true bills fans that have watched the glory days and the last decade we know what's a winning season feels like but duri g that time he would watch my ups and downs but now he gets to grow into the new team new owners new attitude and it is awesome. And I see it on the field I. The voices of the players and even some of the posters on here. But I am just really glad he will grow up here In Buffalo with me watching our team win and loose but he will be a true fan. I gave up me season tickets the yr he was born and I am kicking myself now but the. I thought it was the right choise now not so much when he says dad can we go, it sucks so time to get them back. Great time for us old fans and a great time for the new ones.. Go bills