Nugent will be are 4th round pick

Psumoulds

Nugent will go in the 2nd round this year for the following reasons:

(1) The kid is downright good!

(2) Overall, this is a weak draft meaning that the level of talent is not as deep as in previous drafts. Therefore, the cream of the crop will rise to the top, regardless of position. I think we will see more teams taking the approach of "draft the best available player" than ever before.

(3) Several teams, as many as 4 teams as reported by Mel Kiper, are really high on Nugent. When you get that kind of supply and demand relationship, stock rises and so will Nugent's!

(4) Did I mention that the kid is downright good?

Nugent will go in the 2nd round this year for the following reasons:

(1) The kid is downright good!

(2) Overall, this is a weak draft meaning that the level of talent is not as deep as in previous drafts.  Therefore, the cream of the crop will rise to the top, regardless of position.  I think we will see more teams taking the approach of "draft the best available player" than ever before.

(3) Several teams, as many as 4 teams as reported by Mel Kiper, are really high on Nugent.  When you get that kind of supply and demand relationship, stock rises and so will Nugent's!

(4) Did I mention that the kid is downright good?

223010[/snapback]

Be suprised if he goes second but heck then let us take him in second, What do we really need. I say drop Bledsore an resign our OL then take him in 2nd

The Nuge isnt gonna last through the second round...i wouldnt even be surprised to see him go in the late 1st...

223091[/snapback]

Exactly. He is talked about as being a better prospect than Janikowski who went 17th!! Why in hell would anyone think he would last to the middle-end of the 4th round?

I say depending on how our FA signings go, take him with our first pick.

I dont see Nugent going in the 1st round, mainly since this is a solid draft (aside from the crappy QBs) and Oakland isnt around to use their 1st rounder on a kicker this year. However, people are kidding themselves if they think he'll be around past our pack in the 2nd round. I do feel that the Bills will have a shot at him with their 2nd rounder, so lets see if TD's odd view on kickers has actually changed after watching Lindell crap out this season. I'd love to see Nugent on here not only because he is the most clutch kicker I've ever seen come out of college, but Mularkey can now gameplan without having to tack into account Lindell's inabilit to hit anything consistently past the 35 yard line. We wont have to take as many risks with Nugent, who can put games away for us and let our Defense shut the game down and pull out the win.

We were first in the NFL this year with average drive start (correct me if I'm wrong). Field position must be very high on the priority list going both ways. I'd have him as high as our second 2nd Round pick, but if we only have one pick in that round, we need to think beyond this coming year.

Will we need a shutdown corner? A 3rd good cornerback? Heir to Vincent?

Are we comfortable with our 4th LB coming into a game in an injury situation?

Is re-signing Jonas our best option for upgrading the line?

We were first in the NFL this year with average drive start (correct me if I'm wrong). Field position must be very high on the priority list going both ways. I'd have him as high as our second 2nd Round pick, but if we only have one pick in that round, we need to think beyond this coming year.

Will we need a shutdown corner? A 3rd good cornerback? Heir to Vincent?

Are we comfortable with our 4th LB coming into a game in an injury situation?

Is re-signing Jonas our best option for upgrading the line?

223171[/snapback]

I think we do need to pick up another veteran CB...I'm not that comfortable with Thomas as our nickel back and I think that a solid vet could really help solidify our secondary. Getting CB or LB depth can be achieved through FA however, I truly feel that we should pounce on Nugent in the 2nd round...mainly because I cant think of anyone else in the draft that would around by our pick who could improve our team so drastically then Nugent could. No more Lindell screw-ups or piss-poor kickoffs...he'd make our special teams even stronger.

Yup, he will go in round 2.  There are some other college kickers with good legs though.  Check out Joe Rheem.  He could be had for a seventh rounder.

223228[/snapback]

That's why I feel drafting Nugent in R2 would be a mistake. This is a good draft for kickers and there's no real reason to draft a great one in R2 when you can draft a very good on day 2.

Lots of folks take their right to state their opinion about where Nugent should be taken, but in order for this to be more than usual fact-free opinion the key to this is not an alleged assessment of Nugent's value as a player reflected in a round of the draft (the round a player is chosen is more heavily influenced by the supply and demand of the marketplace rather than some pretend absolute statement of his value (Chris Kelsay is a good example as many pundits had him ranked as a 1st round pick and he has actually gained a starting role in his second year as a pro on one of the highest ranked by stats Ds in the NFL. Yet, TD correctly passed on taking him with a pick in the 20s in the 1st round and instead made him a second round pick because supply and demand had taken all the teams with a DL need out of the competition for Kelsay with 8 or so prior first round DL choices).but instead to identify which teams have a need for a kicker and where they are likely to pick Nugent to meet this need.

I haver seen no opinion which a reader should take seriously about where Nugent is going to be picked because there statements only seemed to be based on the fact-free opinion everyone is entitled to about how much of a player he is an no state assessment of what teams have a kicking need and where they would pick Nugent to fill it.

I'd love to see a little reality here because I haven't taken the time to know and will really benefit and appreciate if someone takes the time,