We will finally see Robert Woods....

DougTheBug

apparently no one saw how good woods was last year with crappy QB throwing to him. EJ never had a rapport this year with woods and affected him this year. Woods is truely the best receiver on this team and I don't care if I stand alone.

I've followed Woods since he was a frosh at USC. The guy is an absolute baller. He's going to be a very, very good WR in the League for a very long time assuming he remains healthy.

That said, in terms of physical tools, Sammy does everything better: faster, jumps higher, better hands, better blocker, better YAC, better field vision, returns kicks/punts et al.

But this week, you might be right. Woods could (and hopefully will) have a huge day Sunday.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same group, actually. I believe Woods is our best receiver.

I would use the terms reliable and consistent regarding Woods rather than best. If you're looking for upside potential then it's Watkins. If you're looking at previous performance in a pro system it might be Mike Williams. For shear speed you would think Goodwin. But Woods had a good rookie year and looks like the most consistent performer to this point in the season.

Regardless, I am eagerly awaiting the remainder of the season to see what this receiver group can do with a QB that I expect to deliver the ball with a good level of accuracy, a QB that should be able to effectively distribute the ball to the playmakers and give them the opportunity to showcase their abilities.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I'm in the same group, actually. I believe Woods is our best receiver.

Woods looks like he'll be one of those guys who isn't the fastest, strongest, or tallest, but his mentality will drive him to be great. Sammy has the measurables on Woods, but Woods has a killer instinct.

Do you guys think that if you lined up all 32 GMs and said you can have either Woods or Watkins that any of them would take Woods? There is not 1 that would.

Again, I am not knocking Woods, but are people really over the most gifted skill player that the Bills have drafted in forever after 4 weeks? Woods is the perfect complimentary player. He can be a better Stevie (70 catches, 1,000 yards and 7 TDS). He's very polished and has great hands. In addition he is tough as nails.

Watkins is Julio Jones/AJ Green. He can beat people short, long, run them over and win 1 on 1. He can take games over. His best season could easily be 85 catches, 1,400 yards and 10 TDS. He was the top rated WR since Green and Julio. These guys are different.

Woods was originally recruited as a Safety out of HS. Not uncommon, but I do see the DB skills. Twice I specifically remember him preventing an INT by making a CB-like play on the ball. Once in the Cleveland game last season on a pass from Tuel, and once in the Miami game this season on a pass from EJ. I thought this was interesting from Rivals.... reminded me of the wood he laid on ST in the Miami game.

"He may not look like it in person, but on film he looks and hits like an aggressive linebacker that happens to have serious ball skills and lateral pursuit. He also has the ability to come through in clutch games when the chips are down."

Do you guys think that if you lined up all 32 GMs and said you can have either Woods or Watkins that any of them would take Woods? There is not 1 that would.

Again, I am not knocking Woods, but are people really over the most gifted skill player that the Bills have drafted in forever after 4 weeks? Woods is the perfect complimentary player. He can be a better Stevie (70 catches, 1,000 yards and 7 TDS). He's very polished and has great hands. In addition he is tough as nails.

Watkins is Julio Jones/AJ Green. He can beat people short, long, run them over and win 1 on 1. He can take games over. His best season could easily be 85 catches, 1,400 yards and 10 TDS. He was the top rated WR since Green and Julio. These guys are different.

Woods pro comparison out of USC was James Jones. Watkins was Julio Jones. There's your difference.

All 32 GM's passed on Keenan Allen almost 3 times. 29 GM's passed on Kelvin Benjamin.

Watkins definitely has the potential to be great, but talent is not and has never been everything. Ask Da'Rick.

Woods pro comparison out of USC was James Jones. Watkins was Julio Jones. There's your difference.

...and if your WR core was Julio, James Jones and Mike Williams you would be thrilled!!! They all just need someone to get them the football. The Bills receiving core is really talented.

All 32 GM's passed on Keenan Allen almost 3 times. 29 GM's passed on Kelvin Benjamin.

Watkins definitely has the potential to be great, but talent is not and has never been everything. Ask Da'Rick.

That doesn't answer the question. Do you think ANY GM would take Woods over Watkins? The answer is absolutely no. That doesn't mean that Woods isn't good but he isn't different.

ya talent can only take u so far. I feel like woods is gonna be a consistent great WR for many years to come. Watkins needs to run routes better but does show explosiveness. That guy you can count on almost everytime seems like the style woods plays. Very consistent route running and great hands and speed.

...and if your WR core was Julio, James Jones and Mike Williams you would be thrilled!!! They all just need someone to get them the football. The Bills receiving core is really talented.

That doesn't answer the question. Do you think ANY GM would take Woods over Watkins? The answer is absolutely no. That doesn't mean that Woods isn't good but he isn't different.

I'm saying what 32 NFL GM's would or would not do is irrelevant. Sure, they'd all say Watkins beats Woods in every measurable. There are many players who have beaten other players in measurables and been worse.

Watkins has the most talent on this roster, sure. That doesn't make him better than Woods.

Not me, Kirby. Sammy has been on the NFL radar since he was in high school. And as his unprecedented college career unfolded, it became clear that he is a very rare talent. Can't wait to see him when he's healthy and that may not be until next year given the nature of rib injuries and the physical toll of the NFL. To steal a line from Rick Jeanneret, Watkins is "scary good." Taking nothing away from Woods who is good in his own right, he doesn't possess the unique blend of skills that Watkins does.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

There were knee/ankle injury issues with KA and he doesn't have top end speed. He should have gone higher and would have if not for the injury issues and sub-par senior year (mostly due to his QB). KB went right where he should have, IMO. He is raw, not a good route-runner, drops easy passes, and had 1 solid year of production in college. Yet he was on the "old" side entering the draft, at 23. So 1st rounder? Yes, but not an elite top 10 prospect. I actually think he has over-achieved thus far. He is the main target in their offense so he is getting the ball and able to out-jump everyone. But there's a reason Evans and Watkins went higher. I'd love to have him, but these guys do separate out at different points.

There were knee/ankle injury issues with KA and he doesn't have top end speed. He should have gone higher and would have if not for the injury issues and sub-par senior year (mostly due to his QB). KB went right where he should have, IMO. He is raw, not a good route-runner, drops easy passes, and had 1 solid year of production in college. Yet he was on the "old" side entering the draft, at 23. So 1st rounder? Yes, but not an elite top 10 prospect. I actually think he has over-achieved thus far. He is the main target in their offense so he is getting the ball and able to out-jump everyone. But there's a reason Evans and Watkins went higher. I'd love to have him, but these guys do separate out at different points.

Of course there's a reason and definitely many good ones. I'm just saying talent and potential aren't the only thing that matters to succeed in the NFL.

Taking an over-achieving draft pick? Sounds like a good pick.

Of course there's a reason and definitely many good ones. I'm just saying talent and potential aren't the only thing that matters to succeed in the NFL.

Taking an over-achieving draft pick? Sounds like a good pick.

Yes, it will be a very good pick for Carolina. I still think they should have kept Steve Smith too but that's OT.

Yes, it will be a very good pick for Carolina. I still think they should have kept Steve Smith too but that's OT.

The thing that intrigues me about Benjamin is that he's succeeding with just his talent. As you said, he's raw and not a great route-runner. If he develops that, he'll be their franchise WR.

Currently....Woods is a better route runner then Sammy. Honestly that is kind of to be accepted.

But with the ball in their hands? Give me Sammy Watkins all day man.

I think it is a really good problem to have......a new QB will mean that he see's things differently on the field. Who knows maybe WILLIAMS gets a ton of work this week....who has pretty much been a ghost to this point.

Prior to the season's start, I predicted Woods would lead the team in receiving yards. Although that was partially based on EJ's prior love for Woods, I still stand by the prediction.

For clarity - I think Watkins is already a great WR and will be a phenomenal one.

Ideally, we have another Moulds/Price 1-2 punch.

I think it's too early to begin comparing either of them to Julio Jones or AJ Green.

ya talent can only take u so far. I feel like woods is gonna be a consistent great WR for many years to come. Watkins needs to run routes better but does show explosiveness. That guy you can count on almost everytime seems like the style woods plays. Very consistent route running and great hands and speed.

The irony is that Watkins production this year is well ahead of where Woods was last year (and this years for that matter). While a lot of you are sighting how polished Woods is and what Watkins needs to work on, his production is already greater with more room to grow. I think that we all agree that Woods is closer to his ceiling than Watkins to his. Watkins now, is already the better player. If the season unfolded exactly like it has through the 1st quarter Sammy would have 24 more catches, 312 more yards & 8 more TDs. Again, I love Woods but they aren't the same.

I think it's too early to begin comparing either of them to Julio Jones or AJ Green.

That was the common comparison throughout the scouting community. FWIW, Jones had 54 catches, 959 yards and 8 TDS as a rookie, AJ Green had 65 catches, 1,057 yards and 7 TDS. Watkins yardage should increase with Orton and it isn't unrealistic at all to think that he could turn in a better rookie year than either of them with worse QB play (he is on pace for 68 catches, 788 yards and 8 TDS). Edited by Kirby Jackson

The irony is that Watkins production this year is well ahead of where Woods was last year (and this years for that matter). While a lot of you are sighting how polished Woods is and what Watkins needs to work on, his production is already greater with more room to grow. I think that we all agree that Woods is closer to his ceiling than Watkins to his. Watkins now, is already the better player. If the season unfolded exactly like it has through the 1st quarter Sammy would have 24 more catches, 312 more yards & 8 more TDs. Again, I love Woods but they aren't the same.

That was the common comparison throughout the scouting community. FWIW, Jones had 54 catches, 959 yards and 8 TDS as a rookie, AJ Green had 65 catches, 1,057 yards and 7 TDS. Watkins yardage should increase with Orton and it isn't unrealistic at all to think that he could turn in a better rookie year than either of them with worse QB play (he is on pace for 68 catches, 788 yards and 8 TDS).

Recall that play from the Texans game where Watkins had his man beat deep in 1-on-1 coverage and Manuel - who had time and space to see - dumped it off. There's a reason Watkins' numbers aren't fantastic right now, and it's not because of him.

Woods looks like he'll be one of those guys who isn't the fastest, strongest, or tallest, but his mentality will drive him to be great. Sammy has the measurables on Woods, but Woods has a killer instinct.

You make Woods sound like Andre Reed.