The job no one wants in India

truth on hold

It's called "manual scavenging," clearing human excreta by hand.

I went to India once for work. We were walking around the local area and a little kid was walking down the sidewalk naked, stopped, squatted and took a crap. Finished and just kept on walking.

I always get a laugh out of people who talk about how beautiful India is because they've seen pictures of the Taj Mahal. India is mostly a disgusting shithole.

EDIT: Hmmm...found a hole in the censor.

not to hijack the thread, but has anyone seen the tedx talk about the Tiffin box industry in India? i never knew anything about this and found it absolutely fascinating.

Careful eating out of those tiffin boxes. Half a billion+ w/o access to toilets those things must look awfully inviting

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

not to hijack the thread, but has anyone seen the tedx talk about the Tiffin box industry in India? i never knew anything about this and found it absolutely fascinating.

http://youtu.be/N25inoCea24

the lunches delivered to workers?

I saw Top Gear UK do a skit on that. Boy did they make a mess with those lunches.

I went to India once for work. We were walking around the local area and a little kid was walking down the sidewalk naked, stopped, squatted and took a crap. Finished and just kept on walking.

I always get a laugh out of people who talk about how beautiful India is because they've seen pictures of the Taj Mahal. India is mostly a disgusting sh**hole.

Shame isn't it. I think left on its own that's probably the best piece of property on the planet. With the snow capped Himalayas in the north, exotic beaches in the south, and lush jungles with lions, tigers and elephants in between.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I always get a laugh out of people who talk about how beautiful India is because they've seen pictures of the Taj Mahal. India is mostly a disgusting sh**hole.

when you have no home or toilet, where else are you going to defecate?

Yeah, pretty sure "sidewalk" isn't the first place on the list.

Outside of the compound that I was working at in New Delhi, the cab drivers would sleep on cots outside of the gates. In the AM they would strip down to their undies (towel like gear) lift a metal grate and bathe right there on the curb. Then they'd get dressed and be ready to drive.

Families drink water from the same water trough as the cows that roam free do.

the street is probably the cleanest are for them to defecate.

Outside of the compound that I was working at in New Delhi, the cab drivers would sleep on cots outside of the gates. In the AM they would strip down to their undies (towel like gear) lift a metal grate and bathe right there on the curb. Then they'd get dressed and be ready to drive.

Families drink water from the same water trough as the cows that roam free do.

the street is probably the cleanest are for them to defecate.

I'm not sure of your point. Just trying to agree with me that it's a **** hole?

Without sounding morally wrong which I know this statement does I am becoming increasingly convinced there are simply too many humans on this earth. It is sad and overwhelming at times to think how desperately some of them must live.

By far. This ebola thing is long overdue.

Without sounding morally wrong which I know this statement does I am becoming increasingly convinced there are simply too many humans on this earth. It is sad and overwhelming at times to think how desperately some of them must live.

Just wait, according to projections we'll have two extra BILLION people within the next thirty years.

I'm sure we'll be fine. :rolleyes:

There is a really good indie movie on on demand/ netflix called "The Lunchbox" in which the tiffin industry features centrally. Wife and enjoyed it a month or two back.