Could EJ have the "yips"?

YoloinOhio

I remember reading at the beginning of the CFB season where Wisconsin's starting QB, Joel Stave, was benched in favor of a guy who was converting from safety! It was an odd move considering Stave was actually pretty good. He ended up having to play in their first game against LSU and his passes were all over the place. He looked totally different. They pulled him and said he had an injured shoulder. Then the coach said later that week that he was not injured, he actually had the "yips." I looked it up and it is a real thing that actually mentally affects how a QB know how to throw simple passes.

I know many will say no, he just sucks. Well, maybe. But he just wasn't close to this bad last year. He pulled the trigger. He saw open WRs and made throws. He wasn't getting guys killed. He had a game where he was 20-28. Woods was his favorite WR and now he can't connect with him to save his life. Does anyone know anything about this condition and is it plausible from what we have seen?

http://www.foxsports...has-yips-090214

You are basically asking what killed EJ.

Was it this, or was it that.

What difference does it make? He's dead, and he is being buried as I type.

That's what's relevant.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hope is, whatever it is, being the backup will take pressure off EJ, and let him focus on learning the pro game without the pressure. The big test will be how he performs once he's asked to step up again (it'll happen, most likely).

I remember reading at the beginning of the CFB season where Wisconsin's starting QB, Joel Stave, was benched in favor of a guy who was converting from safety! It was an odd move considering Stave was actually pretty good. He ended up having to play in their first game against LSU and his passes were all over the place. He looked totally different. They pulled him and said he had an injured shoulder. Then the coach said later that week that he was not injured, he actually had the "yips." I looked it up and it is a real thing that actually mentally affects how a QB know how to throw simple passes.

I know many will say no, he just sucks. Well, maybe. But he just wasn't close to this bad last year. He pulled the trigger. He saw open WRs and made throws. He wasn't getting guys killed. He had a game where he was 20-28. Woods was his favorite WR and now he can't connect with him to save his life. Does anyone know anything about this condition and is it plausible from what we have seen?

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/qb-controversy-stave-not-hurt-after-all-has-yips-090214

It's a baseball term originally -- Chuck Knoblach, Steve Blass, and Rick Ankiel are the guys most frequently brought up.

You are basically asking what killed EJ.

Was it this, or was it that.

What difference does it make? He's dead, and he is being buried as I type.

That's what's relevant.

no, I'm not "basically" asking what killed him. You can recover from the yips. So I was asking about that. I'll take your response as no, you do not think it is plausible. But are you familiar with the condition? It's a real thing, so that's why I asked. Edited by YoloinOhio

no, I'm not "basically" asking what killed him. You can recover from the yips. So I was asking about that. I'll take your response as no, you do not think it is plausible. But are you familiar with the condition? It's a real thing, so that's why I asked.

Blass, Knoblach, and Ankiel never did. It's worth looking up. There's way more coverage of the yips in baseball than in football.

Here's a place to start: http://bleacherreport .com/articles/385462-the-10-worst-yips-in-sports

Make sure you eliminate the space between report and .com (for reasons i don't understand the mods don't allow us to link to bleacher report)

Edited by dave mcbride

no, I'm not "basically" asking what killed him. You can recover from the yips. So I was asking about that. I'll take your response as no, you do not think it is plausible. But are you familiar with the condition? It's a real thing, so that's why I asked.

Sure, I'm familiar with it. And yes, I guess you can take my response as a "no".

Mark my words: EJ is done as a QB in Buffalo. Right now they are talking about "when he comes back" and how this is an opportunity for him to "watch the game from the sidelines" or this type of thing.

That is talk. EJ is done here.

Bank on it.

My hope is, whatever it is, being the backup will take pressure off EJ, and let him focus on learning the pro game without the pressure. The big test will be how he performs once he's asked to step up again (it'll happen, most likely).

Xacly! Losman's sidewalk broom is available and leaves are starting to clog up Chippewa.. Just another BLOWN 1st rndr. Should Orton get injured, we'll -well, y'all will suffer seeing him fail again. But he's done. Fork, please?

I'd say the new QB coach is the carrier, hopefully Orton has only suffered minimal "coaching".

Just some fine work NP.

Still chuckling.

I don't know if it's the yips, but something definitely happened during the SD game. The first couple games of the season he had much more confidence, threw the ball multiple times to a spot, and put a little zip on the ball sometimes. SD and Houston? Happy feet, airing it out, not throwing it until the WR shows as open, not trusting his receivers, everything.

Hopefully the kid gets his mind back, not just for our sake, but for his. He seems like a good guy who tries real hard to do the right thing, thats the sort of guy you hope finds success.

This my not be an overstatement. He did seem to lose the grip upon himself and then the team = (wr ) too. Not pretty. But Marrone had better make it personal and get the Kid back on keel.

I got over my tennis toss yips. (Golf... Not so much) If JJ Watt was charging at me, I just might toss the ball to him too.

hell i would toss him my wife and a couple kids if it could slow him down !

Yip !

Edited by 3rdand12

http://www.foxsports...has-yips-090214

Interesting question. Technical term is "focal dystonia" where an athlete somehow loses previously-competent mental/motor skills in a sport. Some think Trent Edwards went through something like this after he got hammered in the Cardinals game. Some think Kurt Warner went through something like this with the Rams and took several years (and a glove) to get back to his old form.

It's kind of a hard thing if that is his problem, because apparently the recovery rate is not very encouraging.

, he actually had the "yips." I looked it up and it is a real thing that actually mentally affects how a QB know how to throw simple passes.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/qb-controversy-stave-not-hurt-after-all-has-yips-090214

EJ has a case of the YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every time defenders are closing in on him.

Interesting question. Technical term is "focal dystonia" where an athlete somehow loses previously-competent mental/motor skills in a sport. Some think Trent Edwards went through something like this after he got hammered in the Cardinals game. Some think Kurt Warner went through something like this with the Rams and took several years (and a glove) to get back to his old form.

It's kind of a hard thing if that is his problem, because apparently the recovery rate is not very encouraging.

thanks. It sounds awful.

If our guards keep on like this, EJ might be back in the first quarter. Is he the future? I doubt it.

This absolutely this. We went through three QBs last season. With the way our line has been playing we might need three to get through Sunday against he Lions.

I feel bad for EJ separately as a person, though I know he needs to step aside for the good of the team. Tonight, he tweeted about breast cancer awareness month and how proud he was if his mom, who as many know is a breast cancer survivor.

One of his followers replied and asked if he was getting a pink clipboard.

I feel bad for EJ separately as a person, though I know he needs to step aside for the good of the team. Tonight, he tweeted about breast cancer awareness month and how proud he was if his mom, who as many know is a breast cancer survivor.

One of his followers replied and asked if he was getting a pink clipboard.

No one deserves that.