Baseball Playoffs Thread

KD in CA

BTW I still think awarding a team homefield advantage bases on an exhibition game is the most assinine thing a sports league has ever done and that says a lot!

I am sick of this hogwash... ;-P ;-P

The above opinion is why baseball has passed over much of the country for low attention span games. I am a purist. The All-Star Game is NOT an exhibition game... It is played for something: Home field advantage in the World Series. People forget that this isn't about ONE league, its about TWO leagues that play different styles of ball. The All-Star Game has nothing to do with the two teams that eventually up up in the WS in Octobere. The game is about which style of play gets rewarded more in October... Of course if it goes to seven.

Modern Americans simply don't get it... We've lost our history for the low attention span games and don't understand from where we have come from. Stick to the NFL. The All-Star game is not an exhibition, it counts for one thing: Home field advantage. If it truly was an exhibition, it wouldn't count for anything. The best in each League will showcase each July which League should be represented more in October. That's our history. That's where we came from! Our pastime! Sorry our history is lost on most Americans with short attention spans... Just like the "playoffs" after 162 games... Everybody wants a "do-over.! :-( Oh well...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The above opinion is why baseball has passed over much of the country for low attention span games. I am a purist. The All-Star Game is NOT an exhibition game... It is played for something: Home field advantage in the World Series. People forget that this isn't about ONE league, its about TWO leagues that play different styles of ball. The All-Star Game has nothing to do with the two teams that eventually up up in the WS in Octobere. The game is about which style of play gets rewarded more in October... Of course if it goes to seven.

Modern Americans simply don't get it... We've lost our history for the low attention span games and don't understand from where we have come from. Stick to the NFL. The All-Star game is not an exhibition, it counts for one thing: Home field advantage. If it truly was an exhibition, it wouldn't count for anything. The best in each League will showcase each July which League should be represented more in October. That's our history. That's where we came from! Our pastime! Sorry our history is lost on most Americans with short attention spans... Just like the "playoffs" after 162 games... Everybody wants a "do-over.! :-( Oh well...

Speaking of oxymorons! Not much of a purist if you're missing that the ASG was an exhibition (and the greatest exhibition in American sports) for decades, so no, that's not 'where we came from'. Where we came from was the team with the best record having home field advantage in the WS, and later alternating years between leagues.

Sadly, in typical, modern knee-jerk fashion, the unspeakable horror of a *gasp* TIE during said exhibition game prompted Bud and his fellow idiots to rush out a bunch of stupid rule changes that further reduced the appeal of the ASG.

Speaking of oxymorons! Not much of a purist if you're missing that the ASG was an exhibition (and the greatest exhibition in American sports) for decades, so no, that's not 'where we came from'. Where we came from was the team with the best record having home field advantage in the WS, and later alternating years between leagues.

Sadly, in typical, modern knee-jerk fashion, the unspeakable horror of a *gasp* TIE during said exhibition game prompted Bud and his fellow idiots to rush out a bunch of stupid rule changes that further reduced the appeal of the ASG.

:-P Poo on you!

Now it's not an exhibition. :-)

Oh... And go ask Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose if he ever thought it was an exhibition. :-P

Bunch of crybabies!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Layoff?? Their layoff is only one day longer than the Giants. Giants is 5. They have the playoff experience.

BTW I still think awarding a team homefield advantage bases on an exhibition game is the most assinine thing a sports league has ever done and that says a lot!

Did you read my post? I said I think the Royals are more hot than good, and the layoff will probably hurt them like it did the '07 Rockies, who were on fire for over a month, then had a long layoff before the Series, and got swept.

Now, I just googled '07 Rockies to see what they're record in Sept and Oct was, and I see that I'm not the only one making comparisons (and this wasn't the only article):

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/10/21/7024389/the-2014-royals-are-eerily-similar-to-the-2007-rockies-world-series

I like that the ASG determines home field. It gives me a reason to care about it. They used to switch every other year. What's so fair about that? At least it's earned in some way here.

So a team that wins 120 games swept all their inter league games could lose home field based on a game that the players are picked the same way they pick the winner for Ameican Idol?? And you call yourself a purest.

Edited by Chef Jim

So a team that wins 120 games swept all their inter league games could lose home field based on a game that the players are picked the same way they pick the winner for Ameican Idol?? And you call yourself a purest.

Yep! It's about The League when dealing w/this matter. It's called: The Major LeagueS. It's not about the team, how many games they won, etc... It's about promoting one style of play over the other for that extra game. Bragging rights that gets to be determined by the best in each League, even if a player is on the Cubs.

I had to throw a Cubs jab in there... ;-)

Congrats to giants, but I can't help but feel like it is almost like cheating what the giants did. They have one guy that singlehandedly won them 3 games.

No. It's not cheating, just good old fashioned ball! They were getting to him, just that Bumgarner outlasted them. They were 90 feet away from tying and one swing away from winning it all.

This is why baseball is still the greatest game! It takes all shapes and sizes.. Just look @ the defense The Panda gave @ third!

I knew the Giants were going to be tough to beat... Knew it would go 7. One swing away, oh so close!

Congrats Giants!

No. It's not cheating, just good old fashioned ball! They were getting to him, just that Bumgarner outlasted them. They were 90 feet away from tying and one swing away from winning it all.

This is why baseball is still the greatest game! It takes all shapes and sizes.. Just look @ the defense The Panda gave @ third!

I knew the Giants were going to be tough to beat... Knew it would go 7. One swing away, oh so close!

Congrats Giants!

Yeah, maybe not cheating. But Baum was truly the entire series. Goes to show you that you have a dominant ace on his game like that, you are built to win the WC.

Yeah, maybe not cheating. But Baum was truly the entire series. Goes to show you that you have a dominant ace on his game like that, you are built to win the WC.

Yeah... But not every Ace can come out of the pen like that.

Just saying, they are still the Wildcard Royals... SF was too, but Royals a bigger long shot. Why I absolutely hate the playoffs. I think a team with a higher win % during the regular season would have got to Bumgarner earlier. Royals were riding the shock and awe wave... It wore off after their first loss.

Playoffs are watering the game down, IMO.

Correction:  It was a 3 run differential that the Giants won the series by. 30-27.

That can equate to be one run difference in every game Bumgarner pitched (even know it wasn't).  So, hitting didn't win it for the Giants, Bumgarner did... AND he was wearing downing with a runner 90 feet away and the SERIES WINNING run @ the plate.

Gotta remember one swing and the Royals win the series.  Bumgarner was everything!  Kudos Madison & the Giants!  Great thrilling series even if it was watered down with two scrub teams in it.

Correction:  It was a 3 run differential that the Giants won the series by. 30-27.

That can equate to be one run difference in every game Bumgarner pitched (even know it wasn't).  So, hitting didn't win it for the Giants, Bumgarner did... AND he was wearing downing with a runner 90 feet away and the SERIES WINNING run @ the plate.

Gotta remember one swing and the Royals win the series.  Bumgarner was everything!  Kudos Madison & the Giants!  Great thrilling series even if it was watered down with two scrub teams in it.

Pitching usually does win the series. It's been that way pretty much for the Giants during this run. Lincecum, Cain, Wilson, Romo and Bumharmer who was either a rookie in 2010 or was called up that year.

Edited by Chef Jim

I'd tip my hat to Bochy as well. With a man on second in the fifth, Aoki smoked that ball the other way down the Left field line off Bumgarner. I think, off the bat, 'everyone' thought it was gonna be a tie game. Credit to Bochy for going 'defense' in selecting his lineup....and for having his left fielder in absolutely perfect position for that at bat. Oh...and Bumgarner is ridiculous.

Congrats to giants, but I can't help but feel like it is almost like cheating what the giants did. They have one guy that singlehandedly won them 3 games.

You must not pay attention to the Ginats rotation. matt cain - OUT elbow injury. Tim Lincecum- ( 2x cy young winner) even as a reliever - out with a Back injury. Without looking those two guys alone pull down around 18 million a year, and were the reason the team has won two previous world series. i can say with confidence both of those players would if healthy made this less than a 7 game series.

Poor guy was out of his element.

That was brutal too watch!