Orton's History Against the Lions (4-0)

In 2005 and 2008, Orton faced the Lions twice. I know teams were totally different, but this may give a little insight into his comfort level against a team, especially his comfort at Ford Field.

Overall, Orton was 4-0, completing 63% (63/100) of his passes for 822 yards (8.2 Y/A) with 4 TDs, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble lost and 5 sacks.

In Detroit, Orton was 2-0, completing 63% of his passes (career: 58%) for 564 yards (8.7 Y/A; career: 6.6) with 3 TDs, 0 interceptions and 3 sacks.

I can't believe after Sunday's horrific loss, we'd have some momentum going into the next week with a new QB and the AFC East plenty up for grabs.

Go Bills!

Well, that may not be relevant due to the gap in timing/players/coaches. However, there is this slight advantage -- while he didn't play in the game last year he was the backup when Dallas played Detroit last year so he did need to prepare for them. Granted, again there is a different coaching staff for the most part, but many of the same players. It will also hold true for when we play GB, Denver, Minnesota, KC and Oakland as Dallas played the AFC West and NFC North last year (in terms of having prepared for those teams). The only different defense this year is Minn. because of Zimmer.

is there a single player, coach, or key front office member around from 05? they dont even have the owner.

fun fact learned when i had to double check if they even played in ford field in 05 (they did):

Ford Field is one of ten venues in the NFL that has end zones in the east and the west (the others being Qualcomm Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium, AT&T Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, M&T Bank Stadium, the Georgia Dome, FirstEnergy Stadium and Wembley Stadium). The NFL has a rule against this type of construction, so that the sunlight cannot be a major distraction to the players on the field. The NFL had to give permission for the east–west end-zone construction, because the Hudson's warehouse would have required alterations otherwise. The natural light is not a distraction to the players in a day game, because the light only reaches as far as the sidelines, leaving the field still properly lit with the combination of artificial stadium lighting and sunlight.
Edited by NoSaint

A player's sense of comfort in an opposing building is not totally irrelevant.

It's all well and good that Orton had a previous sense of comfort in Detroit's building. Different teams, different schemes, different everything from years ago render that irrelevant to the proceedings this coming Sunday. While I suspect his savvy as an experienced QB in the league will serve him well, what he's done vs. Detroit previously has no bearing; he's never faced this Detroit team.

GO BILLS!!!

Good to know. QBs tend to develop comfort zones with certain teams, struggle zones with others. Hopefully this translates into a good performance by Orton Sunday. Excited for the game. Detroit is an outstanding team, maybe a Super Bowl contender, and especially tough to beat at home. Not expecting a win, but if we can somehow sneak out of there with one it would make a statement that we're the team to beat in the AFC Least.

In 2005 and 2008, Orton faced the Lions twice. I know teams were totally different, but this may give a little insight into his comfort level against a team, especially his comfort at Ford Field.

Overall, Orton was 4-0, completing 63% (63/100) of his passes for 822 yards (8.2 Y/A) with 4 TDs, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble lost and 5 sacks.

In Detroit, Orton was 2-0, completing 63% of his passes (career: 58%) for 564 yards (8.7 Y/A; career: 6.6) with 3 TDs, 0 interceptions and 3 sacks.

I can't believe after Sunday's horrific loss, we'd have some momentum going into the next week with a new QB and the AFC East plenty up for grabs.

Go Bills!

This is not relevant at all.

It's all well and good that Orton had a previous sense of comfort in Detroit's building. Different teams, different schemes, different everything from years ago render that irrelevant to the proceedings this coming Sunday. While I suspect his savvy as an experienced QB in the league will serve him well, what he's done vs. Detroit previously has no bearing; he's never faced this Detroit team.

GO BILLS!!!

clearly he likes the wattage that they use in the lights, and is comfortable with the temperature that they keep the building at.

temperature decides a lot of games.

also, he might have a ritual pregame meal or route to the stadium that has previously appeased the football gods there.

Edited by NoSaint

clearly he likes the wattage that they use in the lights, and is comfortable with the temperature that they keep the building at.

temperature decides a lot of games.

also, he might have a ritual pregame meal or route to the stadium that has previously appeased the football gods there.

Unlike most visiting QBs in Detroit, Kyle Orton actually likes passing into the air conditioning. He's got that kind of confidence in his arm.

GO BILLS!!!