JoeF

If you were an Iraqi Citizen....  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If you were an Iraqi Citizen....

• I would vote no matter what the circumstance
    • I would vote only if I were a Shiite in a safe area
    • I would not vote
    • Don't care

I was listening to a debate on NPR coming home tonight. Two professors, one an advisor to Bush who had spent three months in Iraq in early 2003, one a Stanford fellow. They had a rigorous discussion on this topic.

They concluded that a majority of Shiites will vote and a minority of Sunis will not, thus somewhat skewing the results..and that it may take more negotiating after the election to get all factions (including the more radical of the Sunis) represented in the government. Just thought this might be an interesting question to pose.

The Kurds in the north are relatively safe as well. Of course will all the acts of terror going on nowhere is what you would really call safe in Iraq compared to more stable countries.

To the question, only in safe areas. (If I was an Iraqi I would probably only vote in one of the safer areas, as there would be no democratic tradition to draw upon in the area to make me really want to vote - plus I believe that the elections are not really for an elected government, more an advisory council to advise the people largely put in place by the US, so that would likely skew how I felt about the whlle idea of voting).