EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although EJ is probably not feeling this way right now, this could be a blessing. Detroit could be a tough defensive game. They pounded the Jets this weekend. If he takes this as a temporary setback, not a disaster, and improves his game he will earn his slot back. I do not see this as being the the end of EJ Manuel with the Bills.

Come on, buddy.

They just needed him to be competent. They gave him 14 games to be competent. He is not. Yet.

It's about the situation as well. It's been far too long and the team is chock full of talent. Add to that the owner passes in the offseason, you gamble away a 2015 1st round pick and you've got a coaching staff that just can't afford to wait.

If the Bills weren't getting new ownership I think they would have waited a little longer.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 6s

The #Bills have benched EJ Manuel. Kyle Orton starting at QB this week

I guess everyone who voted for Orton in the poll last week isn't an "idiot," as was proclaimed last week on this very site?

I can't wait until the Orton project fails, it is inevitable. If he were any good, he would be starting elsewhere.

But it's a move that had to be made. Previous Bills' administrations would have hesitated or hemmed-and-hawed. This move is the right thing to do and sends the right message to the vets on Defense and the WRs.

Its a move to hopefully save their jobs. Yep, previous admins would have heaitated. There is a new boss coming in. marrone may not (hopefully) get another crack at a HC gig.

It had to happen. A little better QB play and we could be 4-0 . Now lets hope Orton comes through. I was hoping E.J. was getting yanked sunday.

I had this convsation with somebody just yesterday. No way the Bills beat SD without a top 5 QB. SD was polite with that win and could have scored at a whim.

The Buffalo Bills: Where you're allotted 14 games to go from rookie to playoff QB.

Buffalo Bills, where if you aren't the best option at your position you don't get to play.

This certainly isn't what I was hoping for out of EJ, but he has performed really poorly in our two losses and isn't ready to be a consistent winning QB yet.

Orton clearly isn't the answer, but his three years as a starter all have completion %, yards per attempt, and interception rate that EJ has never yet reached. This makes us a better football team on Sunday.

As for EJ, he has some improving to do, and right now he has to do it as the backup until Orton struggles or is hurt. His career isn't done, and he can continue to improve in practice and get ready for his next shot. Aaron Rodgers (in very different circumstances) spent three seasons doing that. Benching EJ for 1 to 12 games isn't going to ruin his development, but hopefully it helps him figure it out.

Whatever we can do to get to 3-2 is what matters, and the defense and running game and receiver depth all are just waiting for some competent QB play to be a really good team. I'm very disappointed that we didn't get that from EJ yet, but I'm glad that action is being taken when it isn't too late and hopeful that Orton will give us a spark while we continue to develop EJ.

This is a "win now" move for a team not ready to win now because they made the boneheaded decision to trade next year's first round pick.

Its 100% the right move because Manuel missed open guys that just can't be missed in that Texans game, but he doesn't get benched by any coach/GM in the league if they still have next year's #1 pick. This team isn't a playoff team with EJ, and it isn't a playoff team with Orton. Typically the thinking would go "why not let the kid have a full season to learn on the job." As it stands we have an answer to that question: because the entire front office and coaching staff gets fired if they gave away a top 5 pick for a WR who has no one to throw him the ball.

BINGO. I do also agree with the move, however they went "all in" this past off-season and are rightly panicked.

I was expecting this maybe next week, but let's go Orton. If he plays well this week they will look like geniuses. If he craps the bed, they will say it was the #1 D on the road in an impossible win, and then give him two more chances at home against the Pats and on the road against The Jets. So maybe this was the right time, just in case he has it down already, and the rest of the team steps up.

Absolutely! I heard Woods was telling people Orton has been lighting things up in practice, he'll have all the WRs behind him and probably the running backs as well. I did not expect St. Doug to make this move, it impresses me that he has. It's the perfect time to do it.

Absolutely! I heard Woods was telling people Orton has been lighting things up in practice, he'll have all the WRs behind him and probably the running backs as well. I did not expect St. Doug to make this move, it impresses me that he has. It's the perfect time to do it.

You can't have your QB losing winnable games like yesterday. The Bills, by all rights, should have smoked Fitz and the Texans yesterday.

It had to happen. A little better QB play and we could be 4-0 . Now lets hope Orton comes through. I was hoping E.J. was getting yanked sunday.

How 4-0? They were blown out by SD, which could easily have gotten another couple of scores the way they were playing if they had tried in the 4th quarter.

How 4-0? They were blown out by SD, which could easily have gotten another couple of scores the way they were playing if they had tried in the 4th quarter.

Yea I agree. 3-1 for sure. Competent QB play easily beats the Texans yesterday. I don't think you can say that about the Chargers game.

Although EJ is probably not feeling this way right now, this could be a blessing. Detroit could be a tough defensive game. They pounded the Jets this weekend. If he takes this as a temporary setback, not a disaster, and improves his game he will earn his slot back. I do not see this as being the the end of EJ Manuel with the Bills.

Absolutely. Rogers sat behind Favre for 2-3 years for example-- it helps to watch and learn. Giving the kid time to regroup is not the end. No guarantee he will get better, but if he takes it the right way, it might prove to be a blessing.