Greatest books of all time, voted on by authors

Deranged Rhino

An interesting, though probably unsurprising list. I'm surprised that I've read 13 out of 20 of them, and more surprised that I'm better versed in the 19th century than I am the 20th.

http://www.brainpickings.org/2012/01/30/writers-top-ten-favorite-books/

Not too sure about this list. When I see two James Joyce books in the top 10 and Shakespeare as the top author, I feel like the voting could have been skewed by the writers/voters being pretentious.

Not too sure about this list. When I see two James Joyce books in the top 10 and Shakespeare as the top author, I feel like the voting could have been skewed by the writers/voters being pretentious.

Considering the voting pool, you're probably correct.

... That said, I like Joyce. But I'm pretentious. :lol:

Edited by GreggyT

Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Dale Brown, Dan Brown, W.E.B. Griffin (Presidential Agent series), Robert Ludlum (well beyond The Bourne series),

a little bit of John le Carré, Ken Follett, James Patterson,

Great? I like Tom Clancy. :lol:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I hated the Catcher in the Rye, I thought the kid was a whiney brat. My favorite from high school was The Grapes of Wraith; the story of Americans struggling to move west during the Dustbowl.

Holden is mentally ill. You probably missed that.

I love Steinbeck but Grapes of Wrath is an overbearing heavy-handed lecture. The political counterpoint to Atlas Shrugged but its mirror image when it comes to letting the message get in the way of what might have been a good story.

Edited by John Adams