Why does the defense continue to get a pass?

Jrock

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense gave up 336 yards on the first 5 drives of the game that took 24 mins through the first 38 mins of the game. They couldn't get themselves off the field. The offense didn't help, but I think most fans knew the offense wasn't going to carry this team this year. If we're going to win, especially the first half of the year, the defense has got to be able to get themselves off the field. They can't give up that time of poss. on 5 drives.

. I am not arguing they were good. They did enough for the offense to have a chance in the game. The D needs to allow 20 or less pretty much every week for us to have a chance to win. They did that. Edited by TheTruthHurts

I'll spread the blame around. There were stupid penalties on D that kept drives alive. There were third and longs that should have never resulted in easy first downs. They couldn't handle pick plays. Preston Brown can't cover, and should have been replaced with a safety (their RB corps was depleted). Starting McKelvin over Graham? Sure, let's take our (currently) best playing corner and start him on the bench. Whose decision was that?

I am no analyst but what I saw was:

Rivers didn't make any mistakes. He took what the D was giving and his playmakers turned those small plays into big plays. D line couldn't get to Rivers. Certain CB's that can't cover or tackle. I think the comparison to Wanstants D is reasonable.

SD was not afraid of the Bills offense at all by the end of the game. They got conservative otherwise they probably could have hung more points on them.

Overall the got beat up front on both sides of the ball.