Marrone: Chargers Rub Routes Were Legal

I know there was a lot of discussion with this after the game. Marrone is currently on with Howard and Jeremy and was asked about the Chargers "pick plays". He said they were NOT penalties and there wasn't anything illegal about it. This should bring final perspective to this.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I know there was a lot of discussion with this after the game. Marrone is currently on with Howard and Jeremy and was asked about the Chargers "pick plays". He said they were NOT penalties and there wasn't anything illegal about it. This should bring final perspective to this.

I heard that and disagree with Marrone with regard to the 1st big pass play of the game to Malcolm Floyd. That was a blatant OPI by Keenan Allen on Robey. Most rub plays the receiver makes a subtle pick as if he's running a route. Allen wasn't subtle at all and IMO should have been flagged on the play,

My hunch is that he's saying that because of how they've used Chandler in clearing out space for Sammy.

I would agree with those assessments. The reason he's saying that is because he uses that tactic, doesn't think it should be called, and doesn't want it called against The Bills.

My hunch is that he's saying that because of how they've used Chandler in clearing out space for Sammy.

Exactly. We use those plays too because they're damn effective. Marrone is always careful to say the right thing publicly in regards to what the NFL wants to hear from its coaches.

I heard that and disagree with Marrone with regard to the 1st big pass play of the game to Malcolm Floyd. That was a blatant OPI by Keenan Allen on Robey. Most rub plays the receiver makes a subtle pick as if he's running a route. Allen wasn't subtle at all and IMO should have been flagged on the play,

Agreed re the 1st play. It was totally illegal. You can't run into and make contact the defender.

Good hunch, I think. It will be something to watch for this weekend.

But I thought there were at least 2 illegal picks used by SD that should have drawn flags.

Agreed...The goal-line play was legal because the ball was caught behind the LOS...The Floyd pass should have be OPI if it's being called by the book...

I also agree with those who said Marrone is not going to say the play was illegal because he does not want to draw unnecessary attention to the Bills Offensive execution on similar plays... B-)

Agreed...The goal-line play was legal because the ball was caught behind the LOS...The Floyd pass should have be OPI if it's being called by the book...

I also agree with those who said Marrone is not going to say the play was illegal because he does not want to draw unnecessary attention to the Bills Offensive execution on similar plays... B-)

No issue with the TD to Royal because of exactly what you said.