Bills' All Time Best Offensive Play Caller

patfitz

Short memories. I recall people calling for Ted's head, then he turned the no huddle k gun to Jim Kelly. After that Ted got smarter.

Best play caller was Kelly, followed by Jack Kemp. No OC we ever had consistently managed a game as well.

Kemp? Didn't we win mostly with defense in those days? Mike Stratton's hit-heard-'round-the-world and all that?

Kemp? Didn't we win mostly with defense in those days? Mike Stratton's hit-heard-'round-the-world and all that?

Yes and no. Defense was tops, but the QB called pretty much every play back then. Kemp managed the game very well, was a solid leader in the huddle. Success back then really did rely on the QB to do more than follow instructions and throw hard.

Joe Ferguson.

In 1975, the Bills scored 30 points per game. They led the league that year in both yards and points scored. In fact, I believe it was the most points scored by any NFL team in the 1970s.

OJ and Braxton racked up nearly 3000 yards rushing in a 14 game season. Fergy was efficient throwing the ball - tying Fran Tarkenton for the NFL lead with 25 TD tosses.

The Bills were an unstoppable offensive powerhouse that year. Too bad the defensive secondary was as porous as colander.

I believe Fergy called the plays that year but couldn't guarantee it. Maybe a Bills old-timer or NFL historian can correct me. If it wasn't Fergy then probably Head Coach Lou Saban was calling plays or OL Coach Jim Ringo.

They still lost both games to the Dolphins that year. Although I agree, that was a fun team to watch.

My dad! I can remember as a kid, during the Knox years, watching games with him- he'd call out the play before the snap ("Cribbs running left on a pitch") and he'd be right like 95% of the time. Problem was the opponent knew it too.

All you're saying is that your dad was as bad at calling plays as Chuck Knox who had a 500 record as Bills HC

My dad! I can remember as a kid, during the Knox years, watching games with him- he'd call out the play before the snap ("Cribbs running left on a pitch") and he'd be right like 95% of the time. Problem was the opponent knew it too.

Man, do I remember those times, as well.

Your dad and my dad were spot on and as good as a couple of his terms were, for those of you who weren't around, it was maddening.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Ted Marchibroda. He had a lot to work with but got an awful lot out of it.

Yeah, but weren't the plays in 1975 OJ left and OJ right? Not too much strategy involved.

Those were '72, '73 years. By '74, we added Ahmad Rashad to JD Hill with Chandler#81 and began tearing up the League, though we lost a number of high-scoring shoot-outs..