Madam Secretary

That's what I feared, but it was surprisingly a spy show. And I'm a sucker for that genre. I found it more entertaining than I expected.

The ads also bothered me. Some misogynistic, primal part of me hates the whole, "strong, fish-out-of-water woman succeeds beyond others' expectations by using a fresh way of thinking yada yada yada." God, I really hate it. The ad where the one guy is being subtle about being a better ally than an enemy and she blurts out, "me too." Wow, she really has no time for the games and power plays of modern day politics, I'm so impressed!

And damnit Greg, I'm trying to get to sleep and you got me all worked up over a stupid 5 second ad on TV.

Wait, it's a spy show? What?

Edited by FireChan

The ads also bothered me. Some misogynistic, primal part of me hates the whole, "strong, fish-out-of-water woman succeeds beyond others' expectations by using a fresh way of thinking yada yada yada." God, I really hate it. The ad where the one guy is being subtle about being a better ally than an enemy and she blurts out, "me too." Wow, she really has no time for the games and power plays of modern day politics, I'm so impressed!

And damnit Greg, I'm trying to get to sleep and you got me all worked up over a stupid 5 second ad on TV.

Wait, it's a spy show? What?

Oh, there are still plenty of those types of moments. Enough to make most not want to watch I'm sure. The surprising thing (to me at least) was that Leoni's background in the show isn't that she's an academic, but former CIA field agent and the president is the former head of CIA. She gets the job when the current SecofState's plane goes down -- which of course turns out to be part of a larger conspiracy that Leoni is warned about by her former spook colleague...

...right before he's killed for knowing too much.

That's all I meant about a spy show.

Oh, there are still plenty of those types of moments. Enough to make most not want to watch I'm sure. The surprising thing (to me at least) was that Leoni's background in the show isn't that she's an academic, but former CIA field agent and the president is the former head of CIA. She gets the job when the current SecofState's plane goes down -- which of course turns out to be part of a larger conspiracy that Leoni is warned about by her former spook colleague...

So basically, CBS is ripping themselves off by copying the Homeland storylines?

Not cool, bro.

I saw it as "Hilary Clinton, the TV Show" so I only made it about 5 minutes in.

This is precisely what it is. Of course, with the requisite character/plot changes necessary to convince some that this is just a coincidence.

Why not National Security Advisor? Why not female head of the CIA? Tell me that wouldn't be interesting. Hell, NCIS had a female Director for a while. Actually, the most interesting would be a female head of the operational side of the CIA, who proves that some jobs, especially that one, require a unique sort of brain, forcing gender into being a distant afterthought.....but....Tom Clancy already did that one 20 years ago.

No. All this is: try to make some microdemographic of targeted female voters "identify" with how hard and difficult, and "boy so much travel", the job requires. Man, Hillary must have had her hands full....traveling and accomplishing so much, like when she....

Well, time for a commmerical. But no matter. Mission accomplished.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Last show I remember Greggy being right about was My Name Is Earl

Oh, please don't take this thread as an endorsement of the show.

Where's he hiding it?

My agent asks me the same thing daily. I'm trying to take your advice and find it at the bottom of a scotch bottle, but so far haven't found the right bottle. I'll get there one day. Otherwise I'll just crash on someone here's couch.

My agent asks me the same thing daily. I'm trying to take your advice and find it at the bottom of a scotch bottle, but so far haven't found the right bottle. I'll get there one day. Otherwise I'll just crash on someone here's couch.

Whoa, hey, wait a minute. I know you're a writer...but you're not writing for Associated Press. Take it easy...