1. 1. What movie trilogy is better?

• Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    • ORIGINAL Star Wars Trilogy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try not remember that they were made about 25 years apart so of course the special effects are going to be more advanced for LOTR.

222115[/snapback]

No comparison at all.....the SW trilogy changed WAY to much in terms of moviemaking, sound, special effects, and epic adventures. LOTR the novels predate them, and the movies themselves are fabulous. I suspect that you would get different answers if you polled ages 10-20 who didn't grow up with SW like we did...

The original Star Wars was great. It's my favorite movie. The Empire Strikes Back was awesome too. But then, the Ewoks ruined the whole taco.

My nod goes to the Lord of the Rings. It got better with each movie. The Return of the King was the best. Expectations were met and exceeded beyond my wildest dreams. I read the books many times and always wondered if it could be made into a film that captured the scope. And then the vision was realized fantastically.

Bottom line- Peter Jackson was obsessed with making a great body of work. Somewhere along the line, Lucas got obsessed with making money and the art suffered.

Try not remember that they were made about 25 years apart so of course the special effects are going to be more advanced for LOTR.

222115[/snapback]

Not true. Lucas was able to remaster the originals. I own the box set and watch them all the time. They are great. Watch the attack on the Death Star with the new scenes and you will see the difference. Throughout the movie the effects are great. What you realize is how good the special effects were for the time. For that reason, Lucas gets all the respct in the world.

On a side note- I drive by his new studio here in San Francisco every day. It's set to open soon. I have a buddy who is a bigwig with Lucasfilm there and I'm looking forward to getting an insiders tour. I'll give details after I see the complex.

Finally, someone with some taste!! Indy kicks the crap outta those movies!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

222229[/snapback]

I agree. It's a great trilogy too. The first and the third were good. Not a fan of the second one. What was up with the odd slave kid plot? That sucked.

Then there is the Matrix. Exhibit A in how to wreck a good thing.

Let's not forget the Dawn of the Dead trilogy. the first two were awesome. Day of the dead- not as good though. Romero just wrapped the fourth. I look forward to it.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies/twilight.php

Also- the Bourne Identity and the Bourne Supremacy were very good. The third one should be good too.

I agree. It's a great trilogy too. The first and the third were good. Not a fan of the second one. What was up with the odd slave kid plot? That sucked.

222237[/snapback]

I liked the second one a lot. Tons of kick-ass action and Indy was as slick as ever. But I know I am in the minority here.

If we're looking at great trilogies everyone's forgetting the Mad Max films.

The first one was a great low budget film that really kickstarted Mel's career. Road Warrior is just a classic. Thunderdome was the weakest of the three but even that was fun.

One word.  Ewoks.

222224[/snapback]

another reason LoTR is better as a trilogy, Lucas wanted Wookies but had to settle for Ewoks. I don't recall seeing Jackson having to settle on anything like that. Can't afford the orcs, lets just cast some angry gnomes

another reason LoTR is better as a trilogy, Lucas wanted Wookies but had to settle for Ewoks.  I don't recall seeing Jackson having to settle on anything like that.  Can't afford the orcs, lets just cast some angry gnomes

222265[/snapback]

I don't know. Gnomes are scarey.........