Quarterback Air Yards: * be warned *

San-O

Seeing the first three games this years and noticing all the passes behind the LOS or just really short, I was looking for something

other than this: however it's close.

I would like something showing 5 10 15 and 20 yard attempts, completions and PCT.

Notice in particular "AY Per Attempt" , AY = Air Yards.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2014/

FYI: I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing with our QB, it's just not going to work long term and shows the complete lack of production AND willingness to even call or attempt plays down field.

I wonder how they calculate passes behind the LOS: just a "0" ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in what it was for the first two games.

And he seems to be in good company with Wilson and Dalton.

Stats like these should come with a disclaimer. Football is often about getting the ball to your playmakers. Nobody can argue that Freddy and CJ aren't play makers or that Sammy on a short crossing route isn't a threat as well; his TD against Miami traveled two yards across the LOS.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey another thread about how much EJ Manuel sucks!

Well, it was actually kind of about the passing game, or lack of it. I don't think you can look at this and say they even trying to go down field.

Well, it was actually kind of about the passing game, or lack of it. I don't think you can look at this and say they even trying to go down field.

Lack of it? Or does it speak to the design of various offenses, etc. I don't think anyone would accuse Cinci or Seattle of having a lack of a passing game. These stats can be very misleading.

GO BILLS!!!

Stats like these should come with a disclaimer. Football is often about getting the ball to your playmakers. Nobody can argue that Freddy and CJ aren't play makers or that Sammy on a short crossing route isn't a threat as well; his TD against Miami traveled two yards across the LOS.

GO BILLS!!!

yup - in years past the saints have been a great example of this with sproles (or bush) and pierre thomas having HUGE YAC numbers.

we need to eventually be able to take the top of a defense, but how often can be a pretty wide spectrum depending on where your talent lies.

This place would be really fun if we weren't 2-1 and in first place in the division, wouldn't it?

What is so hard to understand about "developing a starting QB takes time". Sure there are cases where guys came out of nowhere and played great. But in general, you have to be patient. There will be ups and downs. Relax. There's plenty of time left to figure out of EJ sucks or not. This whole thing seems like buying a junk car to restore and then being pissed that it isn't Show car quality after an hour of body work.

Edited by Maddog69

That's not true, Why So Serious.

The OC calls the play which then determines the routes run by the receivers.

The QB then runs the play and goes through the prescribed progressions to find the open receiver.

If the OC does not run plays with deep routes as the primary route (or every second, third, etc), then it can't be blamed on the QB for not going downfield. Since I don't know what plays/routes are being called, it is not possible to know who is to blame for the lack of a downfield passing game.

Is it possible that the Bills are holding back some downfield passing plays to be used later in the season?

GO BILLS!!!

This

Lack of it? Or does it speak to the design of various offenses, etc. I don't think anyone would accuse Cinci or Seattle of having a lack of a passing game. These stats can be very misleading.

GO BILLS!!!

...and this

OK. This Bills have no receiver in the top 30 in receiving yards. Sammy Watkins comes in at # 40 having had a great game the previous week against Miami.

The next Bills player on the list is not a receiver, it's a running back: Fred. Love Fred. And based on the previous stat, you can imagine those yards for Fred are mostly or ALL YAC.

The Bills essentially have no passing game as of yet: This is going to hurt them, really against teams with good QB play, unless their D can dominate.

OK. This Bills have no receiver in the top 30 in receiving yards. Sammy Watkins comes in at # 40 having had a great game the previous week against Miami.

The next Bills player on the list is not a receiver, it's a running back: Fred. Love Fred. And based on the previous stat, you can imagine those yards for Fred are mostly or ALL YAC.

The Bills essentially have no passing game as of yet: This is going to hurt them, really against teams with good QB play, unless their D can dominate.

No argument that we don't have a passing game yet, although some nice passes at timely junctures put us in position to win two games. I just think there are far better stats to illustrate lack of a passing game because as I stated above, nobody would suggest that Cinci or Seattle lack a passing game based on their air yard rankings.

GO BILLS!!!

You mention stats again. I was looking for stats to show very short passing game, mostly to backs out of the backfield This pretty much supports that.

You keep mentioning Cincy and Seattle: IF you would like to compare Cincy and Seattle to Buffalo, please do so.

You mention stats again. I was looking for stats to show very short passing game, mostly to backs out of the backfield This pretty much supports that.

You keep mentioning Cincy and Seattle: IF you would like to compare Cincy and Seattle to Buffalo, please do so.

The comparison to Cinci and Seattle is contained in the air yard stats you linked to. I would think it's obvious. Why does our low air yard stat suggest a "lack of a passing game" and their low air yards doesn't? This stat doesn't seem to take into account offensive design, game situations, play makers teams prefer to use, etc. It's an empty stat.

GO BILLS!!!