Everyone praise the climate change protesters for being clean....

Just Jack

Gee lefties being hypocrites? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!

They're not hypocrites. Trash isn't carbon emissions.

Need I point out how much I've bitched about how the environmentalist movement has been hijacked by the anti-carbon movement?

Weather garbage isn't climate !

YES. NEXT QUESTION? Are Tree Huggers Hypocrites?

I will give conservative critics this: Adopting this stance only makes sense if you don’t believe that there’s much power in “setting a good example.” As it happens, consistent with my stance, I do not believe that there is much power in setting a good example, at least not on things that are as central to modern life as breaking apart hydrocarbon chains and using the energy to replace human muscle. I believe that movie stars can inspire idealistic teenagers to go vegan; I do not think that more ordinary-looking adults can convince the majority of Americans to suffer through discomfort and inconvenience for the sake of a hard-to-see threat.

If this is what you believe, then it’s perfectly reasonable to go about your life until the day we are ready for collective action. But I must note that this belief is at odds with the faith professed by most environmentalists in the powers of American example-setting on carbon emissions.
When it is pointed out (correctly) that China and India’s billions of people currently pose a much greater threat to the atmosphere than rich Americans, environmentalists usually respond by first pointing to the public-relations noise that China is making, even as it continues to construct dirty coal plants as fast as it can pour the concrete, and second by arguing that we need to adopt these changes first, which will set a good example and give us the credibility to ask that China and India follow suit.

I find this belief sincere, touching and almost willfully naive.

Almost?

They're not hypocrites. Trash isn't carbon emissions.

Need I point out how much I've bitched about how the environmentalist movement has been hijacked by the anti-carbon movement?

I wonder how much of the trash collected in Manhattan is routinely incinerated?

I wonder how much of the trash collected in Manhattan is routinely incinerated?

None. Since the last incinerator was torn down in 1999.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/06/nyregion/city-s-last-waste-incinerator-is-torn-down.html

From a few years back:

http://cooperator.com/articles/1323/1/Where-Does-the-Garbage-Go/Page1.html

Weather garbage isn't climate !

YES. NEXT QUESTION? Are Tree Huggers Hypocrites?

I will give conservative critics this: Adopting this stance only makes sense if you don’t believe that there’s much power in “setting a good example.” As it happens, consistent with my stance, I do not believe that there is much power in setting a good example, at least not on things that are as central to modern life as breaking apart hydrocarbon chains and using the energy to replace human muscle. I believe that movie stars can inspire idealistic teenagers to go vegan; I do not think that more ordinary-looking adults can convince the majority of Americans to suffer through discomfort and inconvenience for the sake of a hard-to-see threat.

If this is what you believe, then it’s perfectly reasonable to go about your life until the day we are ready for collective action. But I must note that this belief is at odds with the faith professed by most environmentalists in the powers of American example-setting on carbon emissions.
When it is pointed out (correctly) that China and India’s billions of people currently pose a much greater threat to the atmosphere than rich Americans, environmentalists usually respond by first pointing to the public-relations noise that China is making, even as it continues to construct dirty coal plants as fast as it can pour the concrete, and second by arguing that we need to adopt these changes first, which will set a good example and give us the credibility to ask that China and India follow suit.

I find this belief sincere, touching and almost willfully naive.

Almost?

Yep!

On the topic of being slobs... Most people are. We can sort the garbage a little better. That's what is happening right, we are assuming it gets recycled ... We just sort it and make it a bit easier to handle. Who knows where it really ends up.

it sounds like they're just putting off the problem for a few years. they're having to ship all the trash to landfills in other states.

Not sure what they do with recycling? But here we got on board just a few years ago... Heck, I basically separate almost everything for recycling. I keep Al (Aluminum) and metals for myself and $... They aren't going to get that. Since the program was implemented, our bill went down from 90 bucks every 3 months to 50 bucks a 1/4 (w/yard waste toter)... I (family of 4) only make about 2 bags (13 gallon kitchen bag) of normal garbage a week... Most is recycables that gets picked up every other week. If my bill creeps back up to 90 bucks, I am not separating any more so the trash hauler (Republic) can make money off my separated recyclables... It will all go back in the trash, outside the metal of course!

I noticed in these pictures earlier in the thread... A lot looks "recyclable." They probably sort it and then make money off it. ??

Not sure what they do with recycling? But here we got on board just a few years ago... Heck, I basically separate almost everything for recycling. I keep Al (Aluminum) and metals for myself and $... They aren't going to get that. Since the program was implemented, our bill went down from 90 bucks every 3 months to 50 bucks a 1/4 (w/yard waste toter)... I (family of 4) only make about 2 bags (13 gallon kitchen bag) of normal garbage a week... Most is recycables that gets picked up every other week. If my bill creeps back up to 90 bucks, I am not separating any more so the trash hauler (Republic) can make money off my separated recyclables... It will all go back in the trash, outside the metal of course!

I noticed in these pictures earlier in the thread... A lot looks "recyclable." They probably sort it and then make money off it. ??

Making money is bad?

LOL.....................yeah, I'm sure NYC is going to make money on this..........There's 5 cents right there.

xClimate-Trash-1-copy.jpg,qresize=421,P2C600.pagespeed.ic._3k9LdEKGh.jpg

Climate-March-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C374.pagespeed.ce.7ZdLRO8FfR.jpg

Socalost-Climate-2-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C534.pagespeed.ce.1PBUD9truq.jpg

Making money is bad?

No not at all. Why should I sort my garbage so they can make money. My time is worth money too. I mine as well sort my garbage and make the money myself! Afterall, I am making the job easier for them. Like I said, I am getting a discount. Bill was cut in half a few years ago when my village signed an exclusive deal w/Republic. I don't mind sorting (or what some people call recycling) so they can make some money off it. Obviously, they aren't making enough so they still have to bill me. That's okay... This isn't a dream world. BUT since Republic signed the deal with the village, the price they charge is creeping up each year... Still only around 50 bucks a quarter though... YET, like I said, if it reaches the old level where I didn't sort and make things easier for them (about 90 bucks a quarter), I am going to stop sorting and throw it all in the same place. Save the water to rinse, the time and effort, etc... etc...

Making money is gr8... Right now, I make the cash off all my metal. They defray the cost of my bill by having me sort for recycling. You don't think they like to cherry pick aluminum cans out of people's recycle bin? My yearly bag brings in about 25 bucks. Times that by about 10,000 households in the village. It adds up. And we are light Al users.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Speaking of scrap metal. I pass MIILLIONS of TONS of scrap through the lock. One barge (200'x35') will hold about 1,600 TONS of scrap. Just had one come through, all stainless steel. I asked the deckhand what he thinks "street value" of it was. He said about 1/4 of a million dollars... That is a lot of scrap stainless! When we replaced our old steel lock signs with AL ones a bunch of years ago, we took in about 500 bucks in scrap.

Boy... Having something like this would sure put a guy ahead... Some how have access to it on your property... Everytime you needed to make a bank "deposit", just hit the scrap yard with the pick-up truck! LoL... :lol:

Now... The barges pushing the new product like the 1,600 tons of Mg, Al, or non-ferrous alloys have to bring in a pretty penny per load of 1,600 ton... Sometimes they are pushing 6-8 each in a trip.

Okay, just checked... @ $.38 a pound conservatively for stainless, that's about $120,000... I guess he wasn't too far off considering the grade of SS can vary as does the price.

What does this have to do with hippies in NYC littering? Totally nothing! :lol::D

My job when we are done with an install we usually toss the leftover boxes of Cat5 into the dumpster. Well, one GM likes to pull them out and send them back to our office trying to get credit on the unused wire. Knowing this, the office told us to dispose of it somewhere else on the last job. We took all the metal we had (wire, brackets, screws) from the job to a scrap yard. Ended up getting a little over $100 for everything. Worth our time plus it's less stuff going into a landfill somewhere.