need big day from our safeties

BackInDaDay

even with the Matthews out, i respect what i've seen over the years from both Donald Brown and Danny Woodhead.. tough runners who've been playmakers in the league for good squads.. they're both trouble when they get to the second level, so Searcy and Williams must come up strong in run support. this, while dealing with Gates and whatever routes are run behind his clearing routes. there'll be lots of switch-offs this week in our secondary to defend these guys.. with the day Gates had against the Seahawks, he's already impacted our D gameplan - even if he's not targeted as much.

this will be a great challenge.. the kind truly solid teams respond to. it's gonna be fun!

Searcy will be on Gates by all reports, at least early reports. I expect some cover 3 and specialty packages. It'll probably be more nickel than dime but with Robey we can effectively run dime on early downs due to his aggressiveness blitzing and stopping the run. Against Rivers, on the blind side, I expect at least a couple CB blitzes from Robey.

Running a nickel tomorrow will be worthwhile since Duke Williams has been playing. I also hope for more nickel defense tomorrow with McKelvin and Graham on the outside and Gilmore on the inside since he can sniff out the run and is very physical. With Gilmore on Gates and help over the top from Searcy I think we will be able to minimize his impact if not shut him down. Leave Bradham at home to spy on whoever and Rivers to protect the strong side.

Spikes will get fewer snaps and Rodrak will be able to make a headline so his boyfriend and butt buddies in NE can rejoice that he's not good anymore.

I'd really like to see S Duke Williams used in this game. -Very, very, versatsatile athlete, and reliable tackler.

Would you rather have Duke Williams at SS or Gilmore in the dime back position? We have been confusing most fans playing Robey as a nickel back even though he is a CB - the true nickel formation is filled with a SS. We run a hybrid monster type position with Robey, but it is most related to a Nickel.

Searcy on Gates is fine as long as he has help. Williams as a nickel back - not sure if we need a 2nd safety to ball hawk or another CB to man up. I am curious to how much we'll do on the zone coverages tomorrow - ahh, this game is a bit of a challenge for me to scheme against.

Personally, I'd prefer not to have our safeties make one tackle in the run game. I'd just as soon have our LBs do their jobs before they have a chance to hit that level.

That said, I agree wholeheartedly that we need a big day from our safeties. Gates is a load.

GO BILLS!!!

Jboys, I think u mean dollar.

Nickel 3dbs

Dime 4 dbs

Dollar 3 safeties

nickel = 3 safeties, usually an estra SS = 5 DB's

Dime - 4 CB's = 6 DB's

Quarter - 4 CB's, 3 S's = 7 DB's, the 3rd SS is not called a safety, just a DB, though.

Dollar - 8 DB's, can be any, but it's generally 4 S's and 4 CB's.

Most people don't realize dime is dime because if you add another nickel to the stack it makes a dime. The nickel was designed to stop Mike Dikta, one of the best TE's in history. It started in Phili. Some give credit to the Chicago DC who invented the 44 but he just coined the name. The 44 was started because they did not have very good DB's in Chicago and had good LB's so they put the best players on the field.

Edited by jboyst62

Nickel with a 4 front has 2 safeties, 2 backers, 2 corners & 1 nickel corner to cover the slot.

here's one of 20 examples I googled

http://football.cals...ositions11.html

you can use a LB to play the dime back or nickel back position. this is what we did with bryan scott, if you go back a few years, for nickel. it doesn't have to be a safety. heck, you could put a NT back there in the formation and it'd still be a nickel D.

the traditional, original and most effective way to play nickel on Sunday will be to play it the way it was designed, an extra S. The S is generally a larger and harder hitting and better against a larger TE. the true nickel formation is a safety.

in more recent football history the CB is used often as the CB's are getting much bigger and tougher then S's who are becoming more agile ball hawks. being that neither position has improved on tackling it is easy to understand why a larger body is more preferred to cover a larger TE / middle of the field. the CB will be faster and stronger but less agile and less ball skills then the S, as has nearly always been the case. but historically, the S is the better tackler and when it was designed by whoever it was, Jim Williams maybe, before George Allen took it, it was an extra SS.

the nickel scheme also lets you put more pressure outside on blitzes.

i am going off memory as best i can, so it may not be perfect - but i do remember reading that the SS was used against Ditka because LB's couldn't keep up and he'd break CB's in half.

Nowadays its a cover corner. Bryan Scott, by the way, was a safety playing the Mike in our nickel pack. He covered TEs, not slot receivers.

Just sayin.

I know. 43 was the mike. It killed me. The guy had talent and we saw it tapped in his time in Buffalo. I do not know if he would have ever lasted more then a season or two on any NFL roster. We were weak at the time but he still got in there and made a contribution. He will forever be remembered for being left in there to be punished for the DC's shortcomings.

Anyway, prior to his full move to LB he had played the S position as a nickel. I believe it was Jauron who started him at SS. After injuries across the board he moved to play OLB for a while. When Poz left we had injuries that had him move up to the Mike position. He always was and always should have been a SS for nickel packages against a TE. DrDareustien and I both loved the guy and were extremely frustrated that he got put in some of the worst positions possible for his skillset that left him exposed thru no fault of his own.

He had many successful moments for the Bills and really fit well with George Wilson and Jairus Byrd. He allowed Wilson to hunt the ball on the ground and punish people over the middle and let Byrd find it in the air. He took care of anyone else there.

you can run a dollar defense with 5 CB's and 3 S's.

If you come to us with 16 quarters, eight dimes and four nickles, we can give you a five dollar bill. Or we can give you five singles. Or two singles. eight quarters and ten dimes. You'd be amazed at the variety of options you have.