Muffed punt recovery rule clarification

Drreef2

I have a rules question that I'm not 100% on. On that blocked punt, when #34 for the Dolphins picked it up and went for probably 15 yards. If he had reached the first down marker, would it be their ball, even though they had punted?

I have a rules question that I'm not 100% on. On that blocked punt, when #34 for the Dolphins picked it up and went for probably 15 yards. If he had reached the first down marker, would it be their ball, even though they had punted?

Yes. If the blocked punt doesn't pass the line of scrimmage it may be advanced for a first down by the punting team so long as the punt was attempted on fourth down.

GO BILLS!!!

That would have been the most prototypical Bills thing ever. I was surprised it didn't happen.

I here ya. I was screaming at my TV for someone to tackle the guy. He made a good play to to what he did. And I loved McKelvin sprinting 50 yards up field to get into the play, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Can anyone clarify why the Bills were not allowed to advance the ball off the muffed punt in the 4th quarter against Miami? Thanks

Ball cannot be advanced, recovering team gets ball where it was recovered and its a dead ball.

Reason it cannot be advanced is because the opposing player never had possession of the ball