Raccoon's In The Front Yard Gophers In The Back

Dante

"Junkie in the alley with the baseball bat!"

Do bill collectors ring your phone? Call your wife when your not home. And do you have a bum education, double digit inflation?

You could buy an animal trap. We've had chipmunks living under our stone patio steps, and they've even climbed into the house wall. I didn't want to kill them, so I bought a small animal trap and put some feed inside. It's like a cage with doors on both ends, and when the lever in the middle is stepped on, both doors shut. I've caught 8 chipmunks this summer, which are then driven a few miles away to the same wooded area where I release them so hopefully they find each other. As soon as I open the door they run into the woods. And don't tell me about the laws, I'm taking them to an area away from houses and not killing them. There are large versions of these traps also for sale at Home Depot.

I'm a softy and really don't like killing things. But Pasta this sounds like to much trouble. For me anyway. We have a bunch of hawks that hang around our house and I think they have designs on our dogs. I wish they would turn their attention to the gophers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do bill collectors ring your phone? Call your wife when your not home. And do you have a bum education, double digit inflation?

I'm a softy and really don't like killing things. But Pasta this sounds like to much trouble. For me anyway. We have a bunch of hawks that hang around our house and I think they have designs on our dogs. I wish they would turn their attention to the gophers.

You're in Danville right? You're not far from me. I love killing ****. I'll be over this weekend. You and your wife like 'coon stew right?

Just takes a couple seconds to set the trap, put a chestnut or grape in, and a few minutes to drive to the woods. It cost around $25.

Fill a five gallon pail half full of water, cover the surface of the water w/ sunflower seeds, prop a board up against the pail edge as a ramp, put some seeds on the ramp. I like to think of it as teaching chipmunks to swim; alas, none have passed the course to date. This will do the deal for chipmunks; gophers and 'coons - yer on yer own.

alright, I will give some real help here.

1) citrus peels. grapefruit, oranges and lemons work very well to repel a lot of vermin. the citric smells and such are great for cats. They also help with other critters.

2) onion tainted, garlic tainted, or pepper tainted water and sprays keep them at bay and if put on what they're eating they won't like it so much. boil some of the stuff in water and spray it on.

3) lye or ammonia repel most anything and kill most vegetation.

4) you're probably a city slicker and therefore pest control might be available to take care of these things.

5) put some lights back there, they'll find somewhere else. nocturnal animals don't like light.

6) detergent in water on vegetation will help keep Japanese beetles at bay - they are what make the grubs.

best thing you can do is remove the food source. get rid of the grubs. Listerine, water, lemon juice and dish detergent make a natural spray to get rid of bugs in the ground.

I dug up an old book for you on the grubs, they said boil some tobacco - chewing type - in tea bags and than apply to the lawn. nicotine is highly toxic and will kill the bugs.

Edited by jboyst62

City folk. Debate smart phones and TV's. I'll stick with the beautiful land of mountains, rivers and wild life I live in. Oh and keep a camera handy in case a chipmunk shows up.

In your case, I think that's a good call on your part. Seriously.

City folk. Debate smart phones and TV's. I'll stick with the beautiful land of mountains, rivers and wild life I live in. Oh and keep a camera handy in case a chipmunk shows up.

Do you strive to be this awesome or does it just come naturally? I'll give you a few minutes to respond because I am sure you are out chopping a tree down or hunting bears and elks.

I really don't need you to make the call. I assume you think anyone who loves the wilderness is a backward hillbilly. Enjoy Florida..

I do not assume that at all. I know some people who are the very opposite of hillbilly who live in relative wilderness. At times I wish I had the temperament and survival skills to live in semi-seclusion--at times.

I just mean it's probably a good place for you to live and be happy. I know this might come as a big shock to you but, you don't seem to have the best "people skills". The wilderness suits your personality apparently, and certainly doesn't expose you to your apparent weaknesses.

Do you strive to be this awesome or does it just come naturally? I'll give you a few minutes to respond because I am sure you are out chopping a tree down or hunting bears and elks.

Yeah and I will give you a few minutes cause you're wrestling a cow. Look I live in Alaska and yes I do get brown bears in the yard. You can believe it or not same to me.

Yeah and I will give you a few minutes cause you're wrestling a cow. Look I live in Alaska and yes I do get brown bears in the yard. You can believe it or not same to me.

Oooooh big bad brown bears. I live in Oakland brown bears would be welcome compared to what we get.

I do not assume that at all. I know some people who are the very opposite of hillbilly who live in relative wilderness. At times I wish I had the temperament and survival skills to live in semi-seclusion--at times.

I just mean it's probably a good place for you to live and be happy. I know this might come as a big shock to you but, you don't seem to have the best "people skills". The wilderness suits your personality apparently, and certainly doesn't expose you to your apparent weaknesses.

Man you are a study. You have determined I lack "people skills" from a few posts I made? Go back under the rock you where under for 3 years, Mr personality.