West Wing plotlines this year

Yeah, believe me, I know the WW is a left wing vehicle and all that, but it's got some great plotlines this year so far. The focus is on the primary races (the president is finishing his second term), and the Dem. and Rep. nominations are wide open.

The Rep. who will no dount win the nomination is Alan Alda, who plays a 100% honest and forthright politician, who says what he believes, and panders to no special interest. We're clearly supposed to like him, and we do.

On the left are three candidates, two suckups made for TV pander to all interests' types, and one, played by Jimmy Smits, who is trying to be a man of principle, but struggling with the desire to win and compromise that principle. His campaign manager is a former White House staffer who is the devil on his shoulder, but struggling with his own cynicism.

Anyway, the interplay between the pandering and principle is good stuff. Last night, ahead of the Iowa caucuses, all the candidates went to Iowa and had to give a speech to the Corn Growers association in which they said they supported ethanol subsidies. Every candidate thought ethanol subsidies were a waste of money. The two total sell-outs made the speech easily. Smits struggled, but in the end gave in and backed subsidies. Alda's character , despite heavy lobbying from his campaign managers (the wife from Home Improvement and Milton, "please return my stapler" from Office Space), stuck to his principles and criticized ethanol subsidies.

At the end, Alda and Smits have a conversation where Smits confesses that he doesn't support the subsidies, and Alda looks off in disappointment.

Good stuff in an age of gutless middle of the road politics.

Yeah, believe me, I know the WW is a left wing vehicle and all that, but it's got some great plotlines this year so far. The focus is on the primary races (the president is finishing his second term), and the Dem. and Rep. nominations are wide open.

The Rep. who will no dount win the nomination is Alan Alda, who plays a 100% honest and forthright politician, who says what he believes, and panders to no special interest. We're clearly supposed to like him, and we do.

On the left are three candidates, two suckups made for TV pander to all interests' types, and one, played by Jimmy Smits, who is trying to be a man of principle, but struggling with the desire to win and compromise that principle. His campaign manager is a former White House staffer who is the devil on his shoulder, but struggling with his own cynicism.

Anyway, the interplay between the pandering and principle is good stuff. Last night, ahead of the Iowa caucuses, all the candidates went to Iowa and had to give a speech to the Corn Growers association in which they said they supported ethanol subsidies. Every candidate thought ethanol subsidies were a waste of money. The two total sell-outs made the speech easily. Smits struggled, but in the end gave in and backed subsidies. Alda's character , despite heavy lobbying from his campaign managers (the wife from Home Improvement and Milton, "please return my stapler" from Office Space), stuck to his principles and criticized ethanol subsidies.

At the end, Alda and Smits have a conversation where Smits confesses that he doesn't support the subsidies, and Alda looks off in disappointment.

Good stuff in an age of gutless middle of the road politics.

221831[/snapback]

That's rich, Alan Alda playing a Republican.

What's next? Barry Goldwater in an all transvestite review?

Oh way to go.  You killed a good thread.  Everyone was starting to roll with this and you had to go interject that.  :lol:

221941[/snapback]

Damnit, now we have to move this thread to PPP......oh, wait.....

It's Friday, I'm all geared up! :lol::lol:

Oh way to go.  You killed a good thread.  Everyone was starting to roll with this and you had to go interject that.  :lol:

221941[/snapback]

Lighten up Francis, how bout this one?

PF playing a poker palyer on ESPN? Or Sh* playing, DR. Ruth on a UPN sitcom?