Is anyone into Photography? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge....

The Poojer

seriously though, I am looking at buying a 35mm camera for my son so he can learn how to work a camera, I hear that the Asahi Pentax K1000 is a great camera that has held up well over the years and still is expandable with a ton of lenses. I am looking mostly on ebay and craigslist for inexpensive but working models. I am looking at one tomorrow. Looking for some camera bugs that can tell me the main thing to look for to avoid buying a doorstop. thanks.

You can find losts of "inexpensive but working models" on Craiglist but you should probably double wrap your lens cap

I found it strange enough that he had wink wink nudge nudge when talking about photography.

This is just getting weird.

You came to the right place... But I am not budging with my set-up. :P

The venerable K-1000 is all manual. I have the Super Program (from the mid 1980's). Has data back (date and time stamp) and the ME-autowinder (compatible from the ME cameras). ME winder is second hand, and the bursts can get sketchy! I found the autowinder on the internet about 15 yeas ago. I also have a flash that can be synced to the AE progam mode. I have a bunch of lens (K & Ka) too. Sorry, I am not parting with it, even though I haven't broken it out in about 10 years.

The Super Program has a "program" mode, AE (auto exposure). It came out just before auto focus, so it doesn't have that. It is the best of best of both worlds... Can go fully manual as with the K-1000 or you can use AE lens (Ka) and use the program mode. Nice thing about Pentax is they are all fully backwards compatible... You can stick a manual 40+ year old (superior old-school optics) K lens on their modern cameras (even digital SLR's)... Of course you won't have all the auto features and have to go full manual or in my case with my Ka lens... Auto exposure w/manual focus.

Do they still make the K-1000? That's the camera we used in photography class... An old war horse! I didn't look into it, but they probably stopped making them relatively recently (within the last 10 years) I am almost sure they were making them into the 2000's?

Look around... The K-1000 was made for almost 40 years? Look for Super Program like the one I have... Or ME (Super ME too) those may be a little hard to find in good condition... They all are in the same class before they went digital. Pentax entered the digital game late, BUT like I said all their lens are backwards compatible. So, you can keep the lens and go right up the technology staircase! That's why I am hanging on to my stuff... Good luck!

Oh... Who makes film still? Fuji? I did notice through the years that my camera took better pics with Fuji film than Kodak. :lol: Kodachrome was canned in 2010, I think? Must be a Japanese thing? ;)

EDIT: Funny thing about the data back... Time may be running out on it. I have to check, but I think the date only goes up to a few years from now? LoL

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Canon AE-1 35mm film camera

My son had one - might still have it.

It's a nice camera and has lots of lenses and add ons.

It's much older and you can probably get a entire setup for a reasonable price.

Kudos to you and your son. So many kids today are stuck in the digital milieu and most don't wanna know nuttin' about other things.

Here's some more info on it I found on a quick joogle search:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/fd/ae-1-program.htm

It looked to me like he covered a lot of bases, and he might have info on more cameras there too like EII's old Nikon.

Can't knock the F1. But finding an inexpensive one will likely prove fruitless - even he said (like I suspect most owners) that he's not parting with his.

Good luck.

Canon AE-1 35mm film camera

My son had one - might still have it.

It's a nice camera and has lots of lenses and add ons.

It's much older and you can probably get a entire setup for a reasonable price.

Kudos to you and your son. So many kids today are stuck in the digital milieu and most don't wanna know nuttin' about other things.

Here's some more info on it I found on a quick joogle search:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/fd/ae-1-program.htm

It looked to me like he covered a lot of bases, and he might have info on more cameras there too like EII's old Nikon.

Can't knock the F1. But finding an inexpensive one will likely prove fruitless - even he said (like I suspect most owners) that he's not parting with his.

Good luck.

Good points. My SuperProgram AE is a Pentax... I wish I had an old Nikon F1!

"I got a Nikon camera, I love to take a photograph..." Isn't excatly the opening line to Paul Simon's "Kodachrome", Yet:

"When I think back

On all the crap I learned in high school..."

is! LoL... I will never forget industrial arts (IA) photography class. I shocked the whole class and the teacher with my pictures of Philmont, New Mexico... I shot them with a crappy Kodak Disc camera! The "revolution" was just beginning! LMAO... Think what crappy pictures Instamatics (110's etc...) took before that. The pictures @ Philmont came out really nice even with the Disc camera, fooled the teach a little, especially my shot of "Cathedral Rock." He was surprised that a small negative on the disc took a nice picture. Yet, it was a scenary pic in full daylight! There was no way I was packing a huge, heavy, & expensive SLR camera in my backpack! LoL... Kids got it WAY TOO easy now!!! Just think how awesome photos come out now!

Here is the crew ontop of Mt. Baldy... @ 12,500 feet... I am the handsome 16 year old on the end, far left, engineer cap, 80's bandana... Woolrich Flannel (it was August) 10 years before "grunge was cool"... Next to orange pack. Other dudes were getting altitude sickness (explains the dog sick look on their faces)... Especially one to the right of me in the photo (my left).

Also shot with Disc:

post-1877-0-00229400-1411159174_thumb.jpg

Bear @ camp on Baldy... Wandered into our dining fly and stole all the good food, pop tarts, Swiss Miss... Left nothing but dry granola! LoL:

post-1877-0-03370400-1411159309_thumb.jpg

Still not bad for 30 years ago and a small disc negative.

NOW for the shocker on why kids nowadays are spoiled w/good pictures! And to think we paid (development/film) for crap like this spewing from a 110 Instamatic! This was shot in 1979, 5 years before the Disc camera... Stone Age for point and shoot... Can you say "flash cube?" This God awfuls were shot in broad daylight and looked the same way the did here 35 years ago! Oh my!

Cliff dwellings, north of Phoenix, 1979... I want to say: "Montezuma's Castle???" I forget?

post-1877-0-42402500-1411159875_thumb.jpg

I am the handsome 11 year old with the full head of black hair and Canadian Tee! LoL...

post-1877-0-45856400-1411159909_thumb.jpg

This is why the venerable Pentax K-1000 was made for so many years... BUT who wants to clunk around a big expensive SLR, especially climbing... Or by the cliff dwellings.

Again, this is Stone Age point and shoot! Not even done in "sepia". WYSIWYG! LoL!

What you got off a roll of 35mm Kodachrome in an SLR had to be amazing compared to this craptastic photography! :-O

Boy Pooj... My Mama should have sent me on that plane packed with a K-1000! LoL... I would have surely broke it and be out hundreds! LoL...

So somehow this turned into EII's vaction slideshow.

LoL... The old adjustable got me to thinking how pictures were back in the day. They were either really good shots with a nice expensive (for its day) adjustable camera like the one Pooj is thinking about getting... OR super crappy like the ones I posted from '79! Things were starting to change by the mid 1980s though. Sorry for the pics... It is just amazing the difference in quality in 5 short years! The younger ones just have to see it to believe it... 6 years later in 1990 we were shooting with fully automatic, point and shoot 35mm, autofocus, AE, electronic flash cameras that could fit in the pocket of your ski jacket and not get damaged from condensation. I could bore you with those pics from Pico, Vermont... But I will spare you including the selfie! Kids even have the selfie easy today with digital "front cameras!" A selfie on celluloid was a total crap shoot!

Sorry for the hijack Pooj... You just got me going down photography 101 memory lane! Point and shoot edition vs. adjustable SLR.