Richard Sherman might be a little insecure

YoloinOhio

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's very good. The Chargers are the ones that spoke out against him, the press merely asked him what he thought, and he responded like only Richard Sherman can. Hilarious press conference, loved the part about the WRs telling their grandkids that they caught a couple balls against him, "didnt score, but caught a few balls". HAHA!

"You know, when a guy wants his name in the paper, he's gotta say something crazy," Sherman said about Allen on Wednesday. "It's humorous. I guess he wants something to tell his grandkids: 'Remember the day I caught a couple of balls on Richard Sherman? No touchdowns, but I caught a few.'"

The meme pic posted in the first post makes it seem way douchier than it was. And he said it all with a smile on his face. It's just fun and entertainment.

The full quotes can be found here: http://www.thenewstr...erman.html?rh=1

Edited by DrDareustein

Opposing QBs had a rating of 41.1 the year before (2012) season. He had 8 INTs in both seasons too. What does it take to be considered a shutdown corner??

the point they are making is that most shutdown corners arent regularly covering the #2 wr, with a probowl safety over the top and elite pass rush -- so its hard to gauge what he would do on an average to good defense where he was put on a true island. hes good, but is he GREAT?

He's very good. The Chargers are the ones that spoke out against him, the press merely asked him what he thought, and he responded like only Richard Sherman can. Hilarious press conference, loved the part about the WRs telling their grandkids that they caught a couple balls against him, "didnt score, but caught a few balls". HAHA!

The meme pic posted in the first post makes it seem way douchier than it was. And he said it all with a smile on his face. It's just fun and entertainment.

The full quotes can be found here: http://www.thenewstr...erman.html?rh=1

i actually thought it was funny, but he still appears insecure

the point they are making is that most shutdown corners arent regularly covering the #2 wr, with a probowl safety over the top and elite pass rush -- so its hard to gauge what he would do on an average to good defense where he was put on a true island. hes good, but is he GREAT?

Thank you NoSaint, that was my point exactly. If he was regularly shutting down elite receivers instead of the Jarrett Boykins of the NFL - without all that other talent around him, then it would be easier to guage. As it is, I don't know if he is elite, or just very good on an elite team.

Edited by billsfan1959

Which elite pass rush are you refering to? They had 43 sacks in 2013 and 36 in 2012. The Bills had 57 last season.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't think Sherman is the #1 corner in the league (you can make an argument for it but I'd still have Patrick Peterson above him) but he is a top 3 corner and an extremely good player, regardless of how much he runs his mouth. The numbers Mr Mcbride quotes are hard to ignore, the guy can flat out play. I thought what was interesting about what the Chargers did was they forced Sherman to come and play the other side of the field, stacking all 3 receivers to one side and then pulled him into positions he didn't want to defend. I thought it was exceptional gameplanning to be honest. But it shouldn't surprise you..... Mike McCoy was able to gameplan to win in the NFL with Tebow under centre.

I'm sure he will have a few things to keep the Bills defense honest this Sunday too.

Opposing QBs had a rating of 41.1 the year before (2012) season. He had 8 INTs in both seasons too. What does it take to be considered a shutdown corner??

The guy's results are amazing. To be considered the best you have to cover the best. The way Seattle plays D they allow the offense to dictate match-ups which means they stick their #3 on Sherman frequently. It's tough to tell how good he is when that's the case.

When will the world realize he is overhyped? Good CB's last 2 years, tops. Meanwhile, the best CB in the league isn't in Seattle. He's in Arizona.

My middle son loves the Bills and the Bucs because we live in Tampa, but his favorite team is the Cardinals (long story). He follows them religiously, and because we have three TV's in my game room, we watch all of the Bills, Bucs, and Cardinals games. My point is watching every week the cardinals, I've come to love Patrick Peterson. Sherman plays one side, and covers the outside very well. He does not move all over the field to take out their best WR like Revis prior to his knee injury.

Peterson typically takes out the opposing best player. He plays both sides, can cover the middle in the nickel which is far different than the outside as the WR can break either way, has caught passes on offense, and even thrown a pass. If that is not the reincarnation of Deon Sanders, I don't who better fits the bill.

BTW- Sherman is such an insecure guy. That crap about Crabtree was ridiculous. I don't care what beef he had with the guy at the golf tournament the previous year.

Which elite pass rush are you refering to? They had 43 sacks in 2013 and 36 in 2012. The Bills had 57 last season.

they were 8th in the league in total sacks last year -- 5th in sacks per opposing pass attempt. they did that with the 5th lowest blitz rate.

it was a very good unit at rushing the passer, and was able to while still dropping 7 into coverage.

Edited by NoSaint

they were 8th in the league in total sacks last year -- 5th in sacks per defensive play. they did that with the 5th lowest blitz rate.

it was a very good unit at rushing the passer, and was able to while still dropping 7 into coverage.

I like using the per play stat. Seattle didn't have as many plays against them so it makes the stats skewed.

I like using the per play stat. Seattle didn't have as many plays against them so it makes the stats skewed.

and i should note that it was per pass attempt, to get the true verbiage -- im going to correct the post to reflect that. but yea, 5th in sacks per pass and with the 5th lowest blitz percentage

Defense needs to be considered holistically, in context.

Please bear in mind that Seattle, last year, had a top-10 and usually top-5 defense in almost every statistical category one can think of - #1 in fewest points per game, fewest passing yards per game, #1 in interceptions and top-10 usually top-5 in 1st down %, 3rd down conversion %, #7 in rushing yards given up.

Meanwhile the Bills did great on sacks and good on passing yards, but were rockin' the basement on rushing yards given up, 1st and 3rd down conversion %.

So while yeah, the Seasnakes didn't get as many sacks as we did, overall the data suggests to me that we obtained sacks at a cost to other aspects of our defense, while the Seasnakes just overall made life miserable all across the board while racking up top-10 sack numbers.

I think top-10 in sacks while #1 in points given up, INTs, and pass yards given up, point to a pass rush that can accurately be described as elite. It's not just whether you paste the QB, forcing him into INTs and incompletions is just as good, better if you can do it while staying stout against the run.

Sherman is a real good player but seems like such an unlikeable dude personality wise.

Really? I think he comes across as uber-competitive, but actually pretty funny with a dry sense of humor. I liked the part about the "little Chargers telling their grandkids".

I don't care whether or not he's the best, he's d*** good.

Defense needs to be considered holistically, in context.

Please bear in mind that Seattle, last year, had a top-10 and usually top-5 defense in almost every statistical category one can think of - #1 in fewest points per game, fewest passing yards per game, #1 in interceptions and top-10 usually top-5 in 1st down %, 3rd down conversion %, #7 in rushing yards given up.

when you also tease out things like hits and hurries - they were consistently among the best. If i recall (and im not looking right now), i think football outsiders did something on them being the most productive 43 defensive line in the league when it came to harassing the QB, even if they didnt lead in sacks. it was a solid gap to #2 also. though with 34 and hybrids etc.... it evened up a bit more, that was just 43 teams if i recall correctly.

I don't quite understand your point.

Seattle was #10 in 3rd down conversion % and #3 (by less than 1) in 1st downs given up per game. Meanwhile their offense is a piddly 20th at # 1st downs, and a mediocre #17 at 3rd down conversion %.

In other words, Seattle didn't have as many plays against their D because their D didn't give up the easy 1st and held tough on 3rd, not because their O was particularly efficient at converting 3rd downs or making 1st downs and sustaining long drives.

In other words, aren't the stats skewed because they deserve to be skewed, because Seattle was very good at getting the other team off the field?

I don't quite understand your point.

Seattle was #10 in 3rd down conversion % and #3 (by less than 1) in 1st downs given up per game. Meanwhile their offense is a piddly 20th at # 1st downs, and a mediocre #17 at 3rd down conversion %.

In other words, Seattle didn't have as many plays against their D because their D didn't give up the easy 1st and held tough on 3rd, not because their O was particularly efficient at converting 3rd downs or making 1st downs and sustaining long drives.

In other words, aren't the stats skewed because they deserve to be skewed, because Seattle was very good at getting the other team off the field?

right, but for number of sacks as a volume stat, they had less plays run against them, so looking at their sack rate per pass attempt is more meaningful. thats all.