What about Sam Aiken

1billsfan

I see talk of getting Price back, Marty Booker and other potential wideouts but I think Sam could be our man here to fill out this spot. He's been progressing every year and I think we should be using our FA dollars to bolster our offensive line to the big time level.

I agree that bolstering the OL is prime concern and Aiken has shown some flashes of brilliance, but I'm not sold on him... It's rare when a WR takes a lot of time to develope. Typically, either they 'got it' or they don't.. JP will need better assurance from the #3 spot, IMO.

I see talk of getting Price back, Marty Booker and other potential wideouts but I think Sam could be our man here to fill out this spot. He's been progressing every year and I think we should be using our FA dollars to bolster our offensive line to the big time level.

221781[/snapback]

I think you are right. And I'd like to see Josh Reed get some training camp rb reps.

What little I saw of Aiken this year I liked, but that is to say he didn't do anything that was clearly boneheaded. I wonder if he'd have been more productive had Bledsoe not locked on Moulds so much.

221789[/snapback]

From NFL.com:

Reed 16 catches...1 over 20yds (longest 20yrds)...0 over 40yrds...8 first downs...0 touchdowns

Aiken 11 catches...2 over 20yds...1 over 40yrds (longest 54 yds)..6 first downs...0 touchdowns

Aiken's production is pretty darn good considering he was in a fraction of the time Reed was in. Having 3 catches in the 20+ range shows some big playmaking ability. I'm not so sure we should be looking outside for our #3 guy. My question is why Malarkey kept Reed at #3 and why Drew even threw to Mr. Hands of Stone. I think that Aiken should have been given more of an opportunity than he got.

221781[/snapback]

i'm with you -- spend the bucks on other areas, as our WR'ing core is fine........it's just young and, as we all know, WR's is generally one of the toughest positions to learn in the NFL.........tons of guys breakout in their 3rd or 4th year (and that could be reed or aiken this year).......it's not like we need a moss or TO -- we just need a 3rd wideout........

What little I saw of Aiken this year I liked, but that is to say he didn't do anything that was clearly boneheaded. I wonder if he'd have been more productive had Bledsoe not locked on Moulds so much.

221789[/snapback]

I doubt if Bledsoe even knows Aiken's number. The only play where he was option #1 all year was a flea flicker where Aiken had to wait for the ball. Drew's brain was 80, 80, look for 80, quick look to 83, 80, quick look back at 83......throw (or get pummelled or even run...).

I think Sam can perform--he is a good route runner, deceptive speed, decent hands (although he had a couple of drops this year) and a very good blocker.

I would invest our money in LG, TE, K, and resigning our own before I got another wideout.

I doubt if Bledsoe even knows Aiken's number.  The only play where he was option #1 all year was a flea flicker where Aiken had to wait for the ball. 

221914[/snapback]

does the bledsoe bashing ever stop?

it was 3rd and 19, willis almost got tackled in the backfield, and drew had next to no time to unload.........despite that, he threw a PERFECT pass just over the safety's head........

bash the guy when he deserves it, but not when he's setting up a game tying field goal heading into half......

does the bledsoe bashing ever stop?

it was 3rd and 19, willis almost got tackled in the backfield, and drew had next to no time to unload.........despite that, he threw a PERFECT pass just over the safety's head........

bash the guy when he deserves it, but not when he's setting up a game tying field goal heading into half......

221930[/snapback]

Wag--I have never been one to "bash" drew...fact is fact--the speed of his progressions don't allow him to get to the #3 very often....noone other than Moulds and Evans had more than 25 catches this year (McGahee with 22 was next and no other receiver had more than 16 catches). We have to be one of only a handful of teams in the league where that is the case.

I wouldn't be at all upset if he remains with the team and wins the competition with JP in camp for the job. I feel JP needs another year of watching before he is ready.

Don't be so quick to defend the indefensible. I am !@#$ing tired of people seeing this as a black and white issue and basing their arguments on feelings rather than data...its not a feelings issue...there are real pros and cons of Drew. This happens to be one of his cons.

Wag--I have never been one to "bash" drew...fact is fact--the speed of his progressions don't allow him to get to the #3 very often....noone other than Moulds and Evans had more than 25 catches this year (McGahee with 22 was next and no other receiver had more than 16 catches).  We have to be one of only a handful of teams in the league where that is the case.

I wouldn't be at all upset if he remains with the team and wins the competition with JP in camp for the job.  I feel JP needs another year of watching before he is ready.

Don't be so quick to defend the indefensible.  I am !@#$ing tired of people seeing this as a black and white issue and basing their arguments on feelings rather than data...its not a feelings issue...there are real pros and cons of Drew.  This happens to be one of his cons.

222065[/snapback]

what does any of that garbage have to do with that flea-flicker play? that is all that questioned, not the rest of your post.......the truth is there was nothing wrong with that play and you shouldn't be bashing him for it......

This is all moot - talk of "Number 3 Receivers" makes little sense. Aiken backs up Moulds's Z WR spot - he does NOT play the slot, so he isn't gonna replace Reed unless he changes positions. I think this is unlikely - it's more likely that the team will draft or sign someone to compete with Reed for the slot role.

what does any of that garbage have to do with that flea-flicker play? that is all that questioned, not the rest of your post.......the truth is there was nothing wrong with that play and you shouldn't be bashing him for it......

222396[/snapback]

Your first statement is will the Bledsoe bashing ever stop--that's a general statement ... sorry if I misunderstood that you were only referring to that specific play.

I can see how you think I was Drew bashing by saying Aiken had to wait for the ball--that was not my intent--I was stating a fact...He did have to wait for the ball...under the circumstances--the rush and the less than perfect pitch back by McGahee -- Drew did a great job getting the ball out and down field.

And its not garbage--some have followed the same path with Drew that we did with RJ/Flutie -- all emotion, no facts.

This is all moot - talk of "Number 3 Receivers" makes little sense.  Aiken backs up Moulds's Z WR spot - he does NOT play the slot, so he isn't gonna replace Reed unless he changes positions.  I think this is unlikely - it's more likely that the team will draft or sign someone to compete with Reed for the slot role.

222397[/snapback]

Mularkey stated a couple of times that they wouldn't hesitate to use Moulds in the slot in 3 wide. I think he was in the slot when he scored his touchdown against Miami..the one where Aiken had a nice wall off block to get him into the end zone.

Sam Aiken did very little to impress me this season. I know Josh Reed had a miserable season with the dropped passes, but Aiken dropped quite a few as well.

I also remember the Steelers game, towards the end of the 1st half and the Bills are mounting a drive to get a score: Bledsoe completes the pass to Aiken, Aiken gets good yardage, but instead of going out of bounds to save time, he stays in to get about 2 or 3 meaningless yards, and the Bills would lose about 15-20 more seconds off the clock because of that. Aiken may still have something to prove, but as of now I prefer Reed.

Aiken is still mainly a guy with some potential. He'll get a chance to compete and move up the depth chart, but he hasn't done enough for the team to just assume he can do anything beyond the little he's done.