Red zone troubles

thewildrabbit

If you are right that Sammy ran the wrong route, where the ball lands, Sammy needed to have been running parallel to the endzone based on the timing of his break. This was not a timing pattern where the ball was released prior to Sammy's break.

This is what I saw as well. The pass was not even accurate for the post route that people are claiming it was intended for.

I'm basing it on what Marrone said, or at least how I interpreted what he said, as well as my own reading of the play. If EJ looks right to a spot and throws it to a spot, and the guy is a yard away because he ran a pattern where he was supposed to cut on more of a post that a go, or a (just say) 5 degree angles instead of a 15 degree angle, that easily could have been the result.

Marrone clearly said we didn't make the pass on the first one (Woods) and we didn't make the right read on the second one (Watkins made one and EJ made the other) and I thought he was implying it was not EJ because he was saying QBs get all the blame sometimes when it's not true.

Saying "QB's get all the blame sometimes when it's not true" achieves the purpose of deflecting criticism from EJ without saying it wasn't his fault IMO. If we've learned anything from their public offerings on EJ this year.....if it wasn't his fault Marrone would have said it wasn't.....rather than drop that cliche.

Sammy doesn't need a fluffer, EJ does.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesnt make a lot of sense to me

- We have a fundamental weakness in that we plays OT's at OG and cant get running back push

- So teams play zone which is a QB killer in the red zone

- And this somehow is EJ's fault

-That "fundamental weakness" becomes a strength when it comes to pass blocking.

-I didn't say that zone is a QB killer in the rz. I don't care what the defense plays, space is always at a premium in the redzone. Man creates fade and back shoulder opps you don't see against zone and zone creates identifiable open spots for receivers to run to for a quick six that you don't get with man. I'd compare throwing against zone to shooting the front end of a 1 and 1. It's an easier shot but if you miss you are more susceptible to turning the ball over. Throwing against man is like taking a jumpshot coming off of a screen. It's a tougher shot but it is more natural and less likely to lead to a change of posession if missed.

This is what I saw as well. The pass was not even accurate for the post route that people are claiming it was intended for.

Saying "QB's get all the blame sometimes when it's not true" achieves the purpose of deflecting criticism from EJ without saying it wasn't his fault IMO. If we've learned anything from their public offerings on EJ this year.....if it wasn't his fault Marrone would have said it wasn't.....rather than drop that cliche.

Sammy doesn't need a fluffer, EJ does.

Oh, so he is laying criticism on EJ for two passes in a row, but decides to criticize him specifically for one of them, and then hide it for the second one? That's nuts, IMO. I understand what you're saying if he said it as an overall thing about EJ. But he specifically blamed EJ and then said on the other one it was a misread, implying, to me, that it wasn't EJ because he also implied it's not always that guy's fault. You're really going too far IMO to suggest Marrone thought that far ahead in his criticism. Blaming him for two throws - specifically on one and then trying to deflect criticism on the second. How about Sammy just missed the read and pattern by a yard in his second game? No matter how good Watkins is and how average or bad EJ is, EJ knows this offense 10 times better than Watkins right now.

Is Urbik really worse than Williams at G?

He was pretty good the last two years. Better than Williams has been it would seem.

Why cant we get him on the field and give him a shot?

Yea, no way Pears graded worse then Williams did last year. I gotta wonder if the coaches are more concerned with pass blocking, and protecting EJ, then they are for run blocking.

Cyril Richardson was one of the highest rated run blocking OG's in the draft, and perhaps they currently look at him as a liability as a pass blocker. Thus preferring to maintain a better pass blocking line then run blocking.

The thing is with a better run game the team can control the line, and the clock. Thus keeping the defense off the field, and on the bench to be fresh when needed. It would also allow EJ to pick his passes, and not be forced into 3rd and long so often. The team NEEDs to run the ball, move the chains, and be able punch it in the end zone by running it.

Right now I'm just wondering which OG is going to be cut by week six this year...Williams or Pears, or both!

Oh, so he is laying criticism on EJ for two passes in a row, but decides to criticize him specifically for one of them, and then hide it for the second one? That's nuts, IMO. I understand what you're saying if he said it as an overall thing about EJ. But he specifically blamed EJ and then said on the other one it was a misread, implying, to me, that it wasn't EJ because he also implied it's not always that guy's fault. You're really going too far IMO to suggest Marrone thought that far ahead in his criticism. Blaming him for two throws - specifically on one and then trying to deflect criticism on the second. How about Sammy just missed the read and pattern by a yard in his second game? No matter how good Watkins is and how average or bad EJ is, EJ knows this offense 10 times better than Watkins right now.

Poor example. Sammy isn't the QB he doesn't need to know everyone's responsibilities. Just his. He ran to six. EJ threw into contested territory. I don't need to be Sid Gilman to know where that football should have been. QB fluffing is a big part of Marrone's job right now. Denying that short passes that hop to receivers are poorly thrown will only create a story. Believe what you want my friend. :thumbsup:

Poor example. Sammy isn't the QB he doesn't need to know everyone's responsibilities. Just his. He ran to six. EJ threw into contested territory. I don't need to be Sid Gilman to know where that football should have been. QB fluffing is a big part of Marrone's job right now. Denying that short passes that hop to receivers are poorly thrown will only create a story. Believe what you want my friend. :thumbsup:

You, too. Just tell me that you believe that Marrone was blaming EJ for two bad throws, and said "We missed one" which was an obvious reference to the Woods pass that EJ missed, and then decided to blame him again, but by deflecting the blame and implying it was Watkins fault not EJ's. You really think he did that?

You, too. Just tell me that you believe that Marrone was blaming EJ for two bad throws, and said "We missed one" which was an obvious reference to the Woods pass that EJ missed, and then decided to blame him again, but by deflecting the blame and implying it was Watkins fault not EJ's. You really think he did that?

Actually, I do. The first one was obvious, so there's no sense to deflect blame. For the second, it's a good opportunity to deflect blame to a nebulous misread.

Actually, I do. The first one was obvious, so there's no sense to deflect blame. For the second, it's a good opportunity to deflect blame to a nebulous misread.

Why would he divide them up then? Why wouldn't he just say we missed a couple opportunities? Why would he say sometimes it looks like one thing when it's not, and then go into the read idea? That's thinking three steps ahead to deflect blame, and actually throw Sammy under the bus. How about rather, I got an idea, believing what he actually said? ;)

Why would he divide them up then? Why wouldn't he just say we missed a couple opportunities? Why would he say sometimes it looks like one thing when it's not, and then go into the read idea? That's thinking three steps ahead to deflect blame, and actually throw Sammy under the bus. How about rather, I got an idea, believing what he actually said? ;)

Or how certain are you he was talking about the same play? What if he was referring to the 1st Q play when EJ threw it away after looking at Sammy and then not seeing anything on the right?

Because that wouldn't confirm an intransigent belief that EJ sucks and is the primary reason for any and all red zone problems the Bills may experience...

How about because I am waiting for the first time I see a great QB hand gesture to his WR that he was supposed to cut that route back into coverage. :lol: It's a sight adjustment and in that look that throw is supposed to arrive front shoulder when receiver is crossing the logo. All kinds of strong armed QB's complete this throw but it's rather common among the better ones. As GG said it is a gotcha play, and is often preceded by the QB pump faking or looking off that deep safety to the other side. This time they just flat caught the Fish with their pants down on that side. As it was happening I briefly allowed myself to think OMG the Bills are actually going to score a TD on one of those.