Joe B's Upon Further Review: Dolphins at Bills

26CornerBlitz

Upon Further Review: Bills vs. Dolphins

To cap the celebration of the week leading up and all the good things that happened to the franchise, the Buffalo Bills declared their second victory of the young season on Sunday. A 29-10 win over the rival Miami Dolphins kept the Bills atop the AFC East and simultaneously shocked many around the NFL.

The Bills will move on Sunday and will attempt to obtain their third straight win, but before they do, the book must first be closed on their victory over the Dolphins. With the help of NFL.com’s Game Rewind package and the All-22 film available with it, ‘Upon Further Review’ brings you a detailed review at how each player on the Bills fared in that specific game.

Every week, WGR will provide you with the standouts, the duds and everything in between.

For each player that appeared in the game on offense or defense, you'll see their name in bold, with a set of numbers after it. Example: Kiwaukee Thomas (54, -2, 2.7). The first number (54) represents the snap count of that game, the second (-2) represents the individual player’s plus-minus of positive plays to negative plays in that game. The third number (2.7) represents the weighted Grade Point Average assigned to that player by the author.

After reading this, I want to re-watch the game just to see if Marcel Dareus was as big of a factor as Buscaglia indicates.

KW was (as usual) a lot more visible in penetration, but if it's true that Dareus handled mostly double teams, then there's a ton of inherent value in that. Despite his issues off the field, I feel that Dareus is getting closer and closer to validating his #3 overall selection.

After reading this, I want to re-watch the game just to see if Marcel Dareus was as big of a factor as Buscaglia indicates.

KW was (as usual) a lot more visible in penetration, but if it's true that Dareus handled mostly double teams, then there's a ton of inherent value in that. Despite his issues off the field, I feel that Dareus is getting closer and closer to validating his #3 overall selection.

I saw him being doubled more often than not.

I'm guessing the grade is based on the 4.0. And, if that's the case, for the most part, I can live with his grades.

What I don't get is the +/- on plays. Just for an example, let's use EJ as it's a bit easier to focus on the QB without watching further tape. His grade of 2.7 seems about right. But is he actually saying EJ made as many negative plays as he did positive plays? Doesn't every good pass count as a positive play? If you don't want to use EJ, then pick an offensive lineman. Wouldn't you count every time the OL kept EJ free from pressure on a pass play, or open a home for an RB a positive play? I'm guessing a bad pass, or a missed blocking assignment counts as a negative play, which seems right. But I can't figure out why there are so few positive plays. I mean just about every player makes far more positive plays than negative plays. So does he every really explain what it takes for him to count a play as "positive"? Are the plays he is discussing the only positive plays he sees? And, again for example, does he count the unsuccessful pass to Watkins as a positive (great throw) or a negative (not a TV)? I admit it's hard for me to focus tonight, but perhaps somebody can explain in terms I can understand. Don't use big words, OK?

is Urbik really that bad? He has played great before what's the problem now?

Good question. The old regime seemed to like him, but not Marrone. I made that comment because in Wednesday's presser, Marrone (in a discussion about Henderson) said something like "Richardson's going to be a heck of a football player." He also threw in a positive about Kuoandjio. My guess is that Urbik is just not agile and strong enough for Marrone's liking. Maybe some of the experts here could chime in?

was urbik successful under a different blocking scheme than what they are using now? has he just regressed? or were his deficiencies masked better under a different scheme/regime? i have no idea. but i thought at one point in time he was one of our better and more dependable linemen.

I bet that Pears and Urbik are probably playing at the same level.

I seriously wonder if Kujo wouldnt be a much better OG then both of them......and I wonder if they are waiting for Richardson to lose some weight

i am wondering if kujo and richardson could eventually slot in at the two guard spots and solidify a young, talented line. i may be dreaming here, but hey, that's what i do.

My take is that playing right tackles at guard is providing a pretty sturdy pocket in pass protection and at this point it is more about making Manuel comfortable so he can execute his throws in a vacuum than it is about anything else. Urbik and Richardson might provide more leverage in the run game but they are easier to circumvent in pass pro. Especially Richardson who had some blatant whiffs in the preaseason.

I still question as was done up thread how these are even measured? It seems unlikely that people who are in for 50+ snaps would always be in the -4 to +4 range. Either there is a small margin in determining plays that count or people are making many more bad plays than I am seeing.

For a lineman just keeping the defender from pressuring the quarterback sound like a positive play to me? Shouldn't their numbers be +15/+20.

These stats seem meaningless if there is no process as to how they are handed out. I am not saying they are wrong other numbers I have seen are similar. I just don't get it.

I'm guessing the grade is based on the 4.0. And, if that's the case, for the most part, I can live with his grades.

What I don't get is the +/- on plays. Just for an example, let's use EJ as it's a bit easier to focus on the QB without watching further tape. His grade of 2.7 seems about right. But is he actually saying EJ made as many negative plays as he did positive plays? Doesn't every good pass count as a positive play? If you don't want to use EJ, then pick an offensive lineman. Wouldn't you count every time the OL kept EJ free from pressure on a pass play, or open a home for an RB a positive play? I'm guessing a bad pass, or a missed blocking assignment counts as a negative play, which seems right. But I can't figure out why there are so few positive plays. I mean just about every player makes far more positive plays than negative plays. So does he every really explain what it takes for him to count a play as "positive"? Are the plays he is discussing the only positive plays he sees? And, again for example, does he count the unsuccessful pass to Watkins as a positive (great throw) or a negative (not a TV)? I admit it's hard for me to focus tonight, but perhaps somebody can explain in terms I can understand. Don't use big words, OK?

I don't know how he's doing it, but my experience with coaching grading was there was a check minus, check, or check plus. As an o-lineman you'd get a check for doing your job, check minus for getting beat or a missed assignment, and check plus for something spectacular (pancake etc). It would seem to make sense he's doing it in a similar fashion. Edited by Carey Bender

Marrone (in a discussion about Henderson) said something like "Richardson's going to be a heck of a football player." He also threw in a positive about Kuoandjio.

The added on part about Kujo being pretty good was hilarious, and did not seem genuine in the slightest (to me). I hope Richardson supplants CWilliams soon.

I don't know how he's doing it, but my experience with coaching grading was there was a check minus, check, or check plus. As an o-lineman you'd get a check for doing your job, check minus for getting beat or a missed assignment, and check plus for something spectacular (pancake etc). It would seem to make sense he's doing it in a similar fashion.

Yes, that seems like what he is doing, I guess. I wish he'd explain his methodology a bit more. But as I said, I believe his grades are, for the most part, pretty decent.

And, I;d like to believe, once he catches up, Kujo will be a significant upgrade if he can possibly play guard. By now, I'm a little surprised they don't try Hairsotn at guard. I understand he's the swing tackle (and TE occasionally). And I guess as long as it isn't terribly broken there isn't a need to change it right now.

Edited by The Dean

The Grantland podcast said the same thing.