MNF - eagles @ Colts

YoloinOhio

Bad call or not, Colts deserve to lose with just horrific play calling last 2 drives....game was over.

Take that stupid TO rule out of the game already

What TO rule do you want to remove? Are you talking about a team taking a TO before the FG? If a team has a TO why shouldn't they be allowed to use it. That's not a TO rule, those are just the basic rules. You'd have to create a special rule to stop a team from doing that.

But perhaps you meant something else.

What TO rule do you want to remove? Are you talking about a team taking a TO before the FG? If a team has a TO why shouldn't they be allowed to use it. That's not a TO rule, those are just the basic rules. You'd have to create a special rule to stop a team from doing that.

But perhaps you meant something else.

yes, the rule that allows a team to call a timeout to ice kicker. The guy has to kick 2 times all the time now...I think it's ridiculous.

yes, the rule that allows a team to call a timeout to ice kicker. The guy has to kick 2 times all the time now...I think it's ridiculous.

So, you want a special rule that effectively denies a team one of their time outs, because ...well I missed that. Why exactly should a team be denied one of their allotted time outs? Because you don't like to see a kicker on the field for longer than necessary?

And the booing, ban the booing too. It's rude and disrespectful and you can barely hear yourself think. It's a distraction is what it is.

:lol:

So, you want a special rule that effectively denies a team one of their time outs, because ...well I missed that. Why exactly should a team be denied one of their allotted time outs? Because you don't like to see a kicker on the field for longer than necessary?

:lol:

is it really that complicated? Use the 3rd time out before the ball is kicked. It's not rocket science to find a way to ice them without going through the whole kicking motion (time limit). See, was that so hard...

is it really that complicated? Use the 3rd time out before the ball is kicked. It's not rocket science to find a way to ice them without going through the whole kicking motion (time limit). See, was that so hard...

The time out is ALWAYS called before the ball is kicked. You can't call a timeout after the ball is snapped. The kicker just decides to kick a meaningless kick, most of the time. Maybe they should make THAT a penalty! :blink: :blink:

Really this isn't very hard to understand. If a team has a timeout left they get to use it. All they have to do is call it before the snap---just like on every other play during the game. There is nothing special, or unusual going on here. Are you thinking they call the TO after the ball is snapped?

The time out is ALWAYS called before the ball is kicked. You can't call a timeout after the ball is snapped. The kicker just decides to kick a meaningless kick, most of the time. Maybe they should make THAT a penalty! :blink: :blink:

Really this isn't very hard to understand. If a team has a timeout left they get to use it. All they have to do is call it before the snap---just like on every other play during the game. There is nothing special, or unusual going on here. Are you thinking they call the TO after the ball is snapped?

Practically every time I have seen this play out, the whistle goes right when the kicker is heading into the follow through. It never used to be that way a few years back. They broke the huddle, timeout was called and then there was never this last second garbage going on. Maybe you don't remember that but I do and I think you are just trying to argue this point to be stubborn. Do you really not get what I am trying to say here?

Practically every time I have seen this play out, the whistle goes right when the kicker is heading into the follow through. It never used to be that way a few years back. They broke the huddle, timeout was called and then there was never this last second garbage going on. Maybe you don't remember that but I do and I think you are just trying to argue this point to be stubborn. Do you really not get what I am trying to say here?

Teams got better at timing their call to just before the snap. If you think the NFL allows a timeout to be called AFTER the snap, you are mistaken. It has become more prevalent in recent years. So has the zone read.

Fact remains, there is no rule against calling a TO right before a kicker kicks. What you want would require a rule to be created specifically to address this matter. And why would such a rule be created? If a team has TO's remaining, they're allowed to take them right up until the second before the ball snaps, like in every other down/play of the game.

Teams got better at timing their call to just before the snap. If you think the NFL allows a timeout to be called AFTER the snap, you are mistaken. It has become more prevalent in recent years. So has the zone read.

Ugh, no, I don't think the timeout is called after the kick.. I just think it has to be called earlier so as to avoid the whole double kick thing. Maybe it's just me but most of the time, fans don't even know if the first kick even counts until after it hits or misses. I don't think that is right....

Ugh, no, I don't think the timeout is called after the kick.. I just think it has to be called earlier so as to avoid the whole double kick thing. Maybe it's just me but most of the time, fans don't even know if the first kick even counts until after it hits or misses. I don't think that is right....

I'll make this my last post on the topic as I think this horse has been kicked far past death. The HC indicates, to the official who is standing right next to him, that he wants a TO. Just like at any other time in the game,. Should a QB be able to call time just before the play clock runs out? Is that OK? The official blows the whistle and stops play. If the defensive HC times it just right, The TO comes right before the snap and by the time the defense can react the ball has already been snapped. Typically the kick is an afterthought---the kicker knows it doesn't count, but just kicks it anyway. Perhaps as practice, perhaps due to muscle memory or just keeping things the same as every kick. There is noting underhanded going on. It's strategy, plain and simple. In some instances, I think it can actually help the kicker. Give him a preview of the wind affect at that moment. But it has become the darling of HCs as of late.Icing a kicker well before the snap may actually have a bigger impact on him psychologically.

So how do you stop this? Take away the ability for the team to use the TO? That doesn't seem right. Not let the defense call a time out after the play clock runs down to under 4 seconds? That sucks, since the offense has until the last moment. About the only way I can think of to stop this, without making some crazy rule, is for the officials to be too far from the sidelines, or a defensive player, for someone on the defense to indicate a TO at the last second---and then they would be out of position to make the necessary calls. So I think you will just have to live with it, until coaches start realizing it doesn't work all that well when everyone knows it is coming.

Just seeing the replays...

During our redzones, when we play conservative and don't force it (especially when up already), fans here scream about not being aggressive....

Last night, the Colts chose to be aggressive instead of taking a field goal, which would put them up two scores, with about 4 mins to go in the game. Instead, they throw the INT, and the Eagles win.

As boring as conservative is... sometimes it wins games.

Just seeing the replays...

During our redzones, when we play conservative and don't force it (especially when up already), fans here scream about not being aggressive....

Last night, the Colts chose to be aggressive instead of taking a field goal, which would put them up two scores, with about 4 mins to go in the game. Instead, they throw the INT, and the Eagles win.

As boring as conservative is... sometimes it wins games.

+1. I thought the same thing. Marrone knows what he has in EJ and where this offense is right now. You play to win the game, not score fantasy points.

I'll make this my last post on the topic as I think this horse has been kicked far past death. The HC indicates, to the official who is standing right next to him, that he wants a TO. Just like at any other time in the game,. Should a QB be able to call time just before the play clock runs out? Is that OK? The official blows the whistle and stops play. If the defensive HC times it just right, The TO comes right before the snap and by the time the defense can react the ball has already been snapped. Typically the kick is an afterthought---the kicker knows it doesn't count, but just kicks it anyway. Perhaps as practice, perhaps due to muscle memory or just keeping things the same as every kick. There is noting underhanded going on. It's strategy, plain and simple. In some instances, I think it can actually help the kicker. Give him a preview of the wind affect at that moment. But it has become the darling of HCs as of late.Icing a kicker well before the snap may actually have a bigger impact on him psychologically.

So how do you stop this? Take away the ability for the team to use the TO? That doesn't seem right. Not let the defense call a time out after the play clock runs down to under 4 seconds? That sucks, since the offense has until the last moment. About the only way I can think of to stop this, without making some crazy rule, is for the officials to be too far from the sidelines, or a defensive player, for someone on the defense to indicate a TO at the last second---and then they would be out of position to make the necessary calls. So I think you will just have to live with it, until coaches start realizing it doesn't work all that well when everyone knows it is coming.

And there you have it. It bugs me but it's just something I'll have to live with......

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think yesterday's loss is squarely on Luck. The coaches trusted him enough to make that call and he threw a terrible INT. But I agree with you that a FG would have not been flashy but would have put the Colts up by 10 and likely sealed a victory