How was Sammy so wide open all day

Webster Guy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, it appeared to me he was losing control, then gathered it and as he touched the pylon lost control of it.

That is a touchdown! Or at the very least inconclusive which again is a touchdown!

Agreed. I watched it 8 or 10 times and that was the same conclusion I came to.

For the eight hundred gazillionth time...no we did not. We USED a first round pick on him and traded one.

I can't understand how people don't understand that.

It is OK to say we "used" two first round draft picks on the Sammy choice (but what you say is more accurate than that).

Wunderkins is an amazing athlete! I'm so glad he is on our team.

I'm going to be a bit nitpicky here, but on that first catch, when he's one on one with the defender, he's GOTTA make him miss. Thats 6 pts right there if he does. He's that kind of athlete that should be able to do that. That said, it was his first catch and he likely had some jitters! Great game either way, he's going to be a great one!

Lets go Bills!!!

Well considering that he cost us 14 draft picks he should be good. :ph34r:

I think he's the most talented WR we've had in over two decades. It's going to be great fun watching him make his mark in the NFL.

Well considering that he cost us 14 draft picks he should be good. :ph34r:

I think he's the most talented WR we've had in over two decades. It's going to be great fun watching him make his mark in the NFL.

:lol:

For the eight hundred gazillionth time...no we did not. We USED a first round pick on him and traded one.

I can't understand how people don't understand that.

It is OK to say we "used" two first round draft picks on the Sammy choice (but what you say is more accurate than that).

I don't understand why you guys are so hung up on something that is purely semantic.....and questionably semantic at that. You surely can't believe that people are saying that we used three first round picks to get him.....so what is the problem?

Everyone knows we traded two firsts to get one in return. Arguing about whether one should say that we gave up 2 picks, or used 2 picks, or traded one pick is all rather petty......and in fact are all correct.

We actually did give up two 1st round picks to get him(normally one gives up one 1st round pick to get a first rounder).

We also used two 1st round picks to get him(normally one uses one 1st round pick to get a first rounder).

We also traded one extra 1st round pick to get him.

Sorry about my picking on this but the pointless semantic arguments on this were driving me batty post draft.....please don't make me relive it.

I don't understand why you guys are so hung up on something that is purely semantic.....and questionably semantic at that. You surely can't believe that people are saying that we used three first round picks to get him.....so what is the problem?

Everyone knows we traded two firsts to get one in return. Arguing about whether one should say that we gave up 2 picks, or used 2 picks, or traded one pick is all rather petty......and in fact are all correct.

We actually did give up two 1st round picks to get him(normally one gives up one 1st round pick to get a first rounder).

We also used two 1st round picks to get him(normally one uses one 1st round pick to get a first rounder).

We also traded one extra 1st round pick to get him.

Sorry about my picking on this but the pointless semantic arguments on this were driving me batty post draft.....please don't make me relive it.

Maybe in Australia the subtleties are a bit different. Here it would be very odd to hear someone say the Bills "gave up" their first round pick for Sammy, had the Bills originally owned the third pick in the draft. They would say they "used" their first round pick. We wouldn't say I "gave up" a dollar for an item that costs exactly one dollar. That really isn't how we tend to use that expression here.

Gave up tends to imply surrender, of a sort, and not a fair one-for-one exchange. If you want to get hyper picky (which you clearly do not) I'd say the following is a good way to describe the trade. In order to acquire #3 pick in the first round of the 2014 draft, the Bills exchanged their less valuable #9 pick and gave up their first round pick in the 2015 draft.

But you are probably right, this isn't worth a ton of forum space. But it's usually fairly obvious, by the way the poster uses those terms, those who say "gave up two first round picks, aren't happy with the price paid--they think the Bills overspent their draft picks. And they are making their point, again, but using that terminology,

Edited by The Dean

Maybe in Australia the subtleties are a bit different. Here it would be very odd to hear someone say the Bills "gave up" their first round pick for Sammy, had the Bills originally owned the third pick in the draft. They would say they "used" their first round pick. We wouldn't say I "gave up" a dollar for an item that costs exactly one dollar. That really isn't how we tend to use that expression here.

Gave up tends to imply surrender, of a sort, and not a fair one-for-one exchange. If you want to get hyper picky (which you clearly do not) I'd say the following is a good way to describe the trade. In order to acquire #3 pick in the first round of the 2014 draft, the Bills exchanged their less valuable #9 pick and gave up their first round pick in the 2015 draft.

But you are probably right, this isn't worth a ton of forum space. But it's usually fairly obvious, by the way the poster uses those terms, those who say "gave up two first round picks, aren't happy with the price paid--they think the Bills overspent their draft picks. And they are making their point, again, but using that terminology,

I see your point on what is potentially implied by using the term "gave up".....but arguing the semantics is just counterproductive as it is obvious that they are not saying that three 1st round picks are used. Instead of becoming a discussion over the merits of the trade/pick, it became about what words are most approriate.

I do understand more now how it elicited such emotional responses though.

Edited by Dibs

I see your point on what is potentially implied by using the term "gave up".....but arguing the semantics is just counterproductive as it is obvious that they are not saying that three 1st round picks are used. Instead of becoming a discussion over the merits of the trade/pick, it became about what words are most approriate.

I do understand more now how it elicited such emotional responses though.

Clearly you are correct. But it's an attempt to exaggerate the cost, IMO. As the semantic discussion was hard for you to continue to read, the odd characterization of the cost was hard for me to read.

But yes, the true cost of the pick, and Sammy's true value to the team, will be revealed over time. And that is far more important than what words are chosen to describe it. While it's far too early to tell, the 2015 first round pick might not be very high after all. no jinx!

The first catch I wondered where on earth the defensive back was and how he could BE that open. As the game progressed I became more and more convinced that this is really THAT good. San Diego will be double teaming him and that should open things up for our other first rate receivers. I'm not even going to mention the fact that our run game is pretty good too. We can "blame" the Chicago win on a poor Chicago team, but Miami is touted as a contender. Beat San Diego and we'll shut up a hell of a lot of sportcasters. I can't get over hearing Mad Dog dismissing the Bills last week with the comment that "they suck.". Go Bills, kick some butt.

Chicago just defeated SF last nite. They certainly are no slouches. They were pretty fired up after losing to a Bills team they felt they shouldn't have.