How was Sammy so wide open all day

Webster Guy

Look I know the guy runs great routes, is quick and deceptive etc., but I have never seen one of our receivers as consistently open like Sammy was today.

A great sign for things to come. His little 5 yard out route that he runs is unstoppable. Picked us up another first down or two with it today, not to mention him turning on the burners on that bomb he caught and dropped early in the game. Sammy was not open when that ball was thrown but he somehow caught up to the pass and got his hands on the ball.

I'm starting to see Whaley's rationale for giving up so much to get #14. Not only can he help us win games but he will help accelerate EJ's development as well by moving the chains and being a consistent target in the short, medium and long passing game.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a nutshell, I'd say in addition to his ability to find spaces, Hackett's play design and Woods' game from a week ago were the biggest reasons he was open a lot today.

While I disagree with Hackett's philosophy at times, he's put together two very good and yet very dissimilar game plans the first two weeks. DC's are not going to have an easy time finding tendencies. And yes, I say that knowing we are gonna see a healthy dose of runs up the middle.

GO BILLS!!!

I already said this in another thread, but since this is about Sammy being open....

A guy sitting next to me at the bar said, after Sammy caught a pass: "He was COLLEGE open!" And he was. A lot, All day,

His teammates and coaches have to love this guy.

Seriously. Someone at the bar said, "What is he made of paper" when it was clear he reinjured his ribs. The dude wasn't saying much when he delivered, clearly not 100% and hampered by extra rib padding. Gutsy performance to be sure.

You guys haven't seen anything yet. Watched just about every game of his in college. Just wait until he is healthy. He is nowehere near 100% right now. When he is healthy, this performance will not only be the norm, but there will be so much more. He is unbelievable. Just hope he can get healthy soon.

He's got a powerful upper body and he plays physical. That's why he's hard to jam at the line, and you miss then you're really in trouble. Better to play off him. That strength and physicality is what seperates him from others , like Robert Woods whose pretty much same height, speed and has as good a pair of hands, but Watkins has 20 lbs of muscle on him.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack