San Diego Super Chargers

YoloinOhio

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I make the west coast to east coast flight a few times a month, getting in on Friday helps but one day isn't enough to fully adjust. But then again, maybe I'm just soft. :)

But you also don't fly a charter flight, have your meals prepared for you, luggage and equipment taken care of......People saying the players will be tired and not ready to play are crazy. These are young athletes supposedly in great shape. They come to Buffalo, go to hotel, sleep, go to stadium for walk through, back to hotel, nap, eat and then sleep more and get up Sunday to play football.....adrenaline and excitement then take over. The Chargers will not be tired and overlook the Bills.

edit: (Not meant to criticize you)

Edited by nucci

I watched the Chargers/Hawks game today and some things I noticed:

-The Chargers OL allowed consistent pressure from the Hawks who mostly rushed 4 (with the occasional blitz.) Despite the pressure Rivers was fantastic at reading the pressure and getting rid of the ball to hot read or running with the ball. It was impressive how he didn't force anything and thereby avoided the big mistake. For the Bills to be successful they're going to have to bring guys up and cover the short stuff because Rivers will hit it all day long.

-Gates is a monster. Rivers will literally just throw the ball up and hope Gates comes down with it and he usually did. The Hawks had Chancellor on him quite a bit and he couldn't stop him and at other times they'd get caught with an LB on him (with Chancellor getting over too late a few times, most noticeably on one of the TD passes.) I'm not sure the Bills have anybody who can match up with him.

-The Chargers were pretty resilient. On two different occasions inside the red zone penalties killed them. Once a TD was taken off the board and another a 1st and Goal at the 5 ended up being a 1st and goal at the 22. Both times they ended up with a TD anyway. This is a team that gets 7, not 3. It's not going to be good enough putting up a bunch of FGs on offense this week.

-For some, inexplicable, reason the Hawks decided not to run the ball. They put the ball in Wilson's hands and while his numbers looked decent he wasn't effective at moving the team consistently and he was under pressure quite a bit. The few times they did run the ball they were successful. The Bills best chance offensively lies in their normal game plan. Run it and run it some more and let EJ hit a handful of big gainers here and there to get the chunk yardage.

- The Chargers didn't try to run the ball much even before Mathews got hurt. Most of their carries were towards the end of the game when they were running the clock. They had 3 WRs on the field most of the time. That along with Gates means I don't think Spikes gets on the field much again this game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills employed 3 safeties for a good portion of the game in an attempt to negate Gates while still having some semblance of a run D. A stud TE is a nightmare match up for any D.

This is a tricky matchup. I actually like the way the Bills O matchups up against the Chargers D more than our D matches up with their O. I think it's going to take a minimum of 24 points to get it done, hopefully the O is up to the task or the Chargers make some mistakes and turn the ball over.

@TheJoeMarino: Like most QB's, Phillip Rivers is not as good when pressured. Only completing 36% (8/22) this year when pressured. 80% with no pressure.

That's some good news there... hopefully San Diego's line isn't all that spectacular (I'm utterly ignorant of the team outside of their bigger names).

I agree that the Bills will probably use a safety or corner on Gates. As good as Allen is you need to stop Gates. This is where the Bills miss Kiko.

With Gilmore back in, they have the depth to keep a corner on Gates, and I see no reason why they wouldn't do this. I think Robey could hold him in check, but honeslty I would put whoever you think can handle him best, even CB1.

That said, I expect them to try to cover with him with a LB and safety help.

San Diego's defense, from what I can see, is fairly average, and also has problems stopping the run... much more so than what we've faced so far this year. I think we should be able to move the ball against them...

But can we move it quickly to counter their small ball.

Say they take 9 minutes to kick a field goal. If we then take 5 minutes to have to punt, then they take 9 more minutes to kick another field goal, then we take 5 minutes to punt, then suddenly we're a 9 minute TD drive away from being on the ropes.

I know that these numbers don't add up, and that it's fatalist to assume they'd be clicking so efficiently on the road, but the best way to get them out of the small ball crap is to put up numbers in bunches, force them to take their shots.

I make the west coast to east coast flight a few times a month, getting in on Friday helps but one day isn't enough to fully adjust. But then again, maybe I'm just soft. :)

I have always found it easier to fly west than to fly east, as far as time adjustment goes... but that's me.

Pete Carroll coached teams, going back to his days at USC, often look dominant in prime time/big games but drop a "lesser" game in between. They always show up for the big game. Since the SD game was sandwiched between the GB game on TNF and the SB rematch with Denver at home, it could be a classic Carroll blow off while SD treated it like a statement game. Doesn't take anything Away from how good of a team SD is, but the teams may have been playing at two different levels of intensity.

That's some good news there... hopefully San Diego's line isn't all that spectacular (I'm utterly ignorant of the team outside of their bigger names).

This is not good news because the offensive scheme and o-line is designed to get the ball out Rivers hands VERY quickly and IMO they are the best team in the league at doing this. What casual fans do not realize is that since McCoy and Joe D revamped this offense, Rivers has been at the very least a top 3 QB in the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

With Gilmore back in, they have the depth to keep a corner on Gates, and I see no reason why they wouldn't do this. I think Robey could hold him in check, but honeslty I would put whoever you think can handle him best, even CB1.

That said, I expect them to try to cover with him with a LB and safety help.

gates will get his targets but It is worth mentioning that this was his first 3TD game in 9 years. He has slowed down, is often banged up and they have been trying to replace him with Ladarius Green if he ever learns to block. He is still a tough match up but teams have been able to successfully contain him before. Edited by YoloinOhio

gates will get his targets but It is worth mentioning that this was his first 3TD game in 9 years. He has slowed down, is often banged up and they have been trying to replace him with Ladarius Green if he ever learns to block. He is still a tough match up but teams have been able to successfully contain him before.

I know he's not what he used to be, but if Matthews is out, he's the most dangerous weapon they have, especially in the red zone. I think any of CB's can handle Allen most of the day.

Here are some highlights of Rogers vs the Hawks D.

It's really pretty amazing how often he got the ball off at the last second and still connected. Watching the coverage by Seattle, I thought they looked slow(heat?). The more I watch, I think our defensive line can do better and I think our coverage is going to be a problem for them. We have more speed.

This game may not be as tough as I initially thought. I think Rivers is going to have a rough day.

But can we move it quickly to counter their small ball.

Say they take 9 minutes to kick a field goal. If we then take 5 minutes to have to punt, then they take 9 more minutes to kick another field goal, then we take 5 minutes to punt, then suddenly we're a 9 minute TD drive away from being on the ropes.

I know that these numbers don't add up, and that it's fatalist to assume they'd be clicking so efficiently on the road, but the best way to get them out of the small ball crap is to put up numbers in bunches, force them to take their shots.

WTF