Marv taking heat for wide right

duey

In two articles this week, Marv has been slammed for playing too conservative at the end of SB 25, basically setting Norwood up for failure by making him kick the 47 yarder.

Since about 2 minutes after that kick, I have been saying to anyone who makes fun of "wide right" that it should never have come down to that. Marv should have come out of halftime and just handed the ball to Thurman. TT gained 7 yds per carry in that game. Had we just run the ball down the Giants throat more, Norwood would never have been in the position to kick that FG.

While the articles say Marv should have run one more play to get even just a few more yards closer, I think his culpability for that loss runs much deeper. I love Marv, but damn was he outcoached in this game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3354390

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ches/index.html

In two articles this week, Marv has been slammed for playing too conservative at the end of SB 25, basically setting Norwood up for failure by making him kick the 47 yarder.

Since about 2 minutes after that kick, I have been saying to anyone who makes fun of "wide right" that it should never have come down to that.  Marv should have come out of halftime and just handed the ball to Thurman.  TT gained 7 yds per carry in that game.  Had we just run the ball down the Giants throat more, Norwood would never have been in the position to kick that FG.

While the articles say Marv should have run one more play to get even just a few more yards closer, I think his culpability for that loss runs much deeper.  I love Marv, but damn was he outcoached in this game.

221383[/snapback]

Well, remember that the Bills kicked off in the 2nd half and the Giants ran that 9-minute drive to score. The Bills then immediately marched down the field to answer. I'm not convinced that Marv was out-coached. The Giants offense got enough plays to win.

Nonetheless, why are people ragging on Marv about this now? They wait 14 years to do that because they saw Mike Martz, Marty Schottenheimer, and Herman Edwards do the same thing recently? Please....

If you ask me....yeah, I would have loved for them to get the ball closer. But considering that the Bills got from their own 10 to the NYG 30 in 2 minutes against that defense with the NFL/World/Superbowl championship on the line, I think it's pretty darn good.

Besides, I think these shots against Marv are unfounded. It's not like Norwood missed it short. That kick would have been good from 57 yards.

Nonetheless, why are people ragging on Marv about this now? They wait 14 years to do that because they saw Mike Martz, Marty Schottenheimer, and Herman Edwards do the same thing recently? Please....

221391[/snapback]

Which brings up another point. Marv Levy has four times as many Super Bowl appearances as Mike Martz, Marty Schottenheimer and Herman Edwards combined. And none of those three will sniff the Hall of Fame.

They played on turf back then, and IIRC that wasn't a kick to win or lose the game, much less the SB.

221431[/snapback]

I know. But it didn't stop me from thinking "where was that nine months ago you putz?"

That said, I don't blame him for losing the game. I blame the six SOBs who couldn't tackle that guy on third and forever.

I know.  But it didn't stop me from thinking "where was that nine months ago you putz?"

That said, I don't blame him for losing the game.  I blame the six SOBs who couldn't tackle that guy on third and forever.

I remember watching a game against the Raiders that year where Norwood missed something like 3 FG's during the game. One of my roommates said "he's lost it after that SB" and I said give him a chance. He kicked the game-winner in OT, but the handwriting was on the wall. What a shame for Norwood, Buffalo, and it's fans.

We were chatting about this yeasterday. IMO, the key play in that game came on our drive right after Bruce sacked Hoss for a safety. We got great field position and faced a third and 3 at the Giant 35. Kelly hit Reed in stride for the first but Reed dropped it. (He was getting hammered all game long) We had to punt and lost the mo. Reed catches this pass, we're in FG range and have the gints reeling. I'll never forget this... :w00t:

A lot went wrong in that game, whether it be the missed kick, Marv not going for one more play, or one of a dozen other things. I don't think he was outcoached, that was our style of play. One of the main problems was defense in that game. The offense can't do anything if they can't get their hands on the ball.

A lot went wrong in that game, whether it be the missed kick, Marv not going for one more play, or one of a dozen other things.  I don't think he was outcoached, that was our style of play.  One of the main problems was defense in that game.  The offense can't do anything if they can't get their hands on the ball.

221468[/snapback]

IIRC, after the game, just about every player on the team approached Norwood and said something along the lines of "I should have caught that pass/made that tackle/run that extra yard..."

It wasn't Norwood's fault.  That was beyond his range of accuracy, not distance.  He had never made a kick that long before on grass, much less to decide the SB.  The fault lay with the coaching staff and other players who heard footsteps and dropped passes, or who allowed long time-consuming drives.

221421[/snapback]

That is exactly my point.