You're Fat!

ExiledInIllinois

Would ya?

:lol:

Can't say for sure if it is true, but that's the way it worked in my family. My mother, who was very tiny, was a relentless critic of my weight and that of my father and all my siblings. It worked in reverse for us, that's for sure. I'd often asked her what she thought she was accomplishing given the results. The funny thing is she always served us fattening foods, and lots of sweets. If she asked if you wanted more, she didn't even listen to the answer, just piled more on your plate. Not an excuse, as I feel we are all responsible for what, and how much, we eat. But she sent a lot of mixed signals.

When I had to move back in with the parents, to help take care of my father at the time, I gained over 60lbs in short order. Since she moved into an assisted living facility (my father has passed) I've lost over 40 lbs.

I found that when I was disappointed with my weight I did the same thing.... It took some serious "don't give a f@ck" to get out and start running and not are what people thought about seeing an overweight guy run...

You want a serious "don't give a f@ck" attitude? Take this advice:

Gugny prefers mowing his lawn in his "slingshot" bikini... That usually has the neighbors running... Hmmm, gotta stay fit! He's got the healthiest neighbors this side of the Mississippi! Well, that's what Beerball says...

;-P This is just plain sick! I am gonna pay for this one... :-O

You want a serious "don't give a f@ck" attitude? Take this advice:

Gugny prefers mowing his lawn in his "slingshot" bikini... That usually has the neighbors running... Hmmm, gotta stay fit! He's got the healthiest neighbors this side of the Mississippi! Well, that's what Beerball says...

;-P This is just plain sick! I am gonna pay for this one... :-O

That explains all the discussion about relocating.... Hmmm

As someone that runs a health/wellness business and trains folks on the side, I can tell you my experiences:

- Most people (fat, fit, or otherwise) have major self-image issues, and they really don't want them exacerbated by being told things they probably already know about themselves

- The absolute worst thing you can do for someone that is out of shape is try to talk them into taking care of themselves; it won't work. The best thing you can do is show them you are committed to taking care of yourself, and invite them along for the ride. The most effective and non-threatening ways to do so from my experience are things like inviting them over for dinner (and cooking a healthy meal that also tastes good--WITHOUT promoting how healthy it is), asking them to join you for an exercise activity (running, cycling, playing sports, lifting, whatever), etc. The important thing is how you go about it; saying stuff like "you need to [exercise/eat better], so I'll help you" won't get it done. On the other hand, something like "we haven't hung out for dinner in a while, come on over tonight, I'm cooking", or "I've been getting into racquetball recently; it's more fun than I thought. Let's go smash our balls against some walls for a while."

- If someone asks you for advice, keep it simple and encouraging. Remind them that small changes are all it takes to get the ball rolling, and that they aren't as far from being on the right track as they think (this really is true for most people).

Just my 1 cent.

As someone that runs a health/wellness business and trains folks on the side, I can tell you my experiences:

- Most people (fat, fit, or otherwise) have major self-image issues, and they really don't want them exacerbated by being told things they probably already know about themselves

- The absolute worst thing you can do for someone that is out of shape is try to talk them into taking care of themselves; it won't work. The best thing you can do is show them you are committed to taking care of yourself, and invite them along for the ride. The most effective and non-threatening ways to do so from my experience are things like inviting them over for dinner (and cooking a healthy meal that also tastes good--WITHOUT promoting how healthy it is), asking them to join you for an exercise activity (running, cycling, playing sports, lifting, whatever), etc. The important thing is how you go about it; saying stuff like "you need to [exercise/eat better], so I'll help you" won't get it done. On the other hand, something like "we haven't hung out for dinner in a while, come on over tonight, I'm cooking", or "I've been getting into racquetball recently; it's more fun than I thought. Let's go smash our balls against some walls for a while."

- If someone asks you for advice, keep it simple and encouraging. Remind them that small changes are all it takes to get the ball rolling, and that they aren't as far from being on the right track as they think (this really is true for most people).

Just my 1 cent.

Good advice.