Where is the NFLPA and DeMaurice Smith?

Luxy312

I understand the Ray Rice guilt discussion has probably already been done to death. What I want to know is where DeMaurice Smith is in all of this. As far as I can tell, there's been nothing materially new that could be taken from the video that wasn't already admitted in written testimony of Rice. Given that they had already handed out a penalty, I would think DeMaurice Smith would be yelling at the top of his lungs that the league is overstepping its authority. Does anyone else find it interesting that his is silent on this subject? Not even a whimper.

I understand the Ray Rice guilt discussion has probably already been done to death. What I want to know is where DeMaurice Smith is in all of this. As far as I can tell, there's been nothing materially new that could be taken from the video that wasn't already admitted in written testimony of Rice. Given that they had already handed out a penalty, I would think DeMaurice Smith would be yelling at the top of his lungs that the league is overstepping its authority. Does anyone else find it interesting that his is silent on this subject? Not even a whimper.

Not true. I saw a tweet that quoted Smith as saying the tape was disturbing.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/08/nflpa-ray-rice-suspension-cut-demaurice-smith

Not entirely sure on the legality issues here, but I would assume that, as a private entity, the NFL can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't violate Federal / State laws or the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Now, there is certainly no law protecting an employee from being terminated or suspended numerous times for the same incident (as there is in criminal law - double jeopardy) especially if it is shown that they lied about the incident (as rumored here when they apparently played down the incident in interviews and even hinted that she was the instigator) and further evidence emerges at a later point.

However, there could be something in the CBA regarding punishments and a sort of Double Jeopardy Clause (or possibly even in Rice's personal contract). If there is and Smith is not doing anything then he should be terminated as the Union Head. Regardless of how it looks, what they did, the PR of it all, whatever, the job of the union head is to protect his members and their negotiated rights. I feel that there is nothing in there to cover Ray Rice in this case though and that's why Smith is silent and not backing his union member.

Edited by Mark80

1. The original suspension was supposedly based on a version of events as told by Ray and Janay, which apparently was not true based on what was shown in the tape. (They said it could barely be called a punch, and also that she was attacking him and he defended himself.)

2. I was wondering if the NFLPA would fight it, but honestly I don't think they are willing to deal with the negative publicity that would come from doing so, especially given how many players have spoken out in support of the increased suspension.

I don't think the NFLPA is dumb enough to try to defend Rice. Right now Roger is getting skewered for this entire thing left and right. Why would the NFLPA want to share the blame with Roger and be dragged down with him, particularly when so many players came out and blasted Rice too. Could be players have threatened to quit the union if it tries to defend him much.

2. I was wondering if the NFLPA would fight it, but honestly I don't think they are willing to deal with the negative publicity that would come from doing so, especially given how many players have spoken out in support of the increased suspension.

I don't think the NFLPA is dumb enough to try to defend Rice. Right now Roger is getting skewered for this entire thing left and right. Why would the NFLPA want to share the blame with Roger and be dragged down with him, particularly when so many players came out and blasted Rice too. Could be players have threatened to quit the union if it tries to defend him much.

The Players Association doesn't have a choice in the matter. If there is ground to stand on in challenging the new suspension, then they are legally bound to do so. Unions are under a legal obligation to protect and defend every single one of their members under the agreed upon terms of the CBA. It is known as the "Right of fair Representation." If a union does not do so, they will be held accountable by the National Labor Relations Board. Accordingly, if there is a "double jeopardy" protection in the CBA and Smith isn't doing anything about this Rice can file a claim with the NLRB and the Union (and Smith) would be held accountable. That's why I don't think there is anything they can do, no ground to protest it (unless it's happening behind the scenes) otherwise, they would be required to do so. Labor Law is a bit rusty from my Undergrad and Law School days, but that's how I remember it.

Edited by Mark80

The Players Association doesn't have a choice in the matter. If there is ground to stand on in challenging the new suspension, then they are legally bound to do so. Union's are under a legal obligation to protect and defend every single one of their members under the agreed upon terms of the CBA. If a union does not do so, they will be held accountable by the National Labor Relations Board. Accordingly, if there is a "double jeopardy" protection in the CBA and Smith isn't doing anything about this Rice can file a claim with the NLRB and the Union (and Smith) would be held accountable. That's why I don't think there is anything they can do, no ground to protest it (unless it's happening behind the scenes) otherwise, they would be required to do so. Labor Law is a bit rusty from my Undergrad and Law School days, but that's how I remember it.

it could also simply be that they are researching the issue and doing their own investigation before publicly putting their foot in their mouth on a pretty major story that they thought was already put to bed.

The Players Association doesn't have a choice in the matter. If there is ground to stand on in challenging the new suspension, then they are legally bound to do so. Union's are under a legal obligation to protect and defend every single one of their members under the agreed upon terms of the CBA.

Agreed, but the CBA gives pretty much complete power to the Commissioner when to comes to the personal conduct policy, this give them a way out of fighting something that looks this bad.

Edited by Captain Caveman

The Players Association doesn't have a choice in the matter. If there is ground to stand on in challenging the new suspension, then they are legally bound to do so. Union's are under a legal obligation to protect and defend every single one of their members under the agreed upon terms of the CBA. It is knows as the "Right of fair Representation." If a union does not do so, they will be held accountable by the National Labor Relations Board. Accordingly, if there is a "double jeopardy" protection in the CBA and Smith isn't doing anything about this Rice can file a claim with the NLRB and the Union (and Smith) would be held accountable. That's why I don't think there is anything they can do, no ground to protest it (unless it's happening behind the scenes) otherwise, they would be required to do so. Labor Law is a bit rusty from my Undergrad and Law School days, but that's how I remember it.

Yup

The union is fighting for Aaron Hernandez's bonus money right now too. They have a legal obligation.

The Ravens cut him and he is most likely blackballed anyhow but Vick got a second chance so you never know