Schwartz game plan

Dragonborn10

I was at the game so I did not get the benefit from a ton of replay. What I saw was a lot of 7 guys in coverage - mostly man to man, LB's playing man to man with the RB's and TE's, and middle linebacker blitzes. I do not recall a safety or corner blitz. A decent mix of single high A. Williams at safety and two and three deep coverages.

Perhaps my biggest complaint was in the fourth quarter when the Bears were pinned deep in their own end, I think at the four yard line, both Dareus and Mario were on the sideline. The offense had just punted so fatigue was not a factor. A sack-fumble there and the game is over. I thought that was poor timing to rotate the D-line.

If Gilmore plays this week I think Schwartz will be more aggressive. The Bills will be at home and have crowd nose to their advantage. The Dolphins line is as bad as the Bears but Tannyhill does not have the potential that Cutler has to burn them deep if the blitz doesn't get there. And it will put Graham in the slot where he can play man to man CB, play safety, or blitz.

Did I miss anything?

Weird that a DC who got a head coaching job might actually know what he's doing. :)

And d linemen get exhausted. That's why so many teams run the no huddle. As great as the Williams boys are, even they drop off if they are tired. That's why you need depth at that position more than anywhere.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Weird that a DC who got a head coaching job might actually know what he's doing. :)

And d linemen get exhausted. That's why so many teams run the no huddle. As great as the Williams boys are, even they drop off if they are tired. That's why you need depth at that position more than anywhere.

stache?? ;)

I was at the game so I did not get the benefit from a ton of replay. What I saw was a lot of 7 guys in coverage - mostly man to man, LB's playing man to man with the RB's and TE's, and middle linebacker blitzes. I do not recall a safety or corner blitz. A decent mix of single high A. Williams at safety and two and three deep coverages.

Perhaps my biggest complaint was in the fourth quarter when the Bears were pinned deep in their own end, I think at the four yard line, both Dareus and Mario were on the sideline. The offense had just punted so fatigue was not a factor. A sack-fumble there and the game is over. I thought that was poor timing to rotate the D-line.

If Gilmore plays this week I think Schwartz will be more aggressive. The Bills will be at home and have crowd nose to their advantage. The Dolphins line is as bad as the Bears but Tannyhill does not have the potential that Cutler has to burn them deep if the blitz doesn't get there. And it will put Graham in the slot where he can play man to man CB, play safety, or blitz.

Did I miss anything?

Only thing I'll add is it wasn't man to man coverage, it was a lot of cover 2/cover 3. Thats why the screen game and dump off passed to Forte were so effective, it was basically an extension of their run game. That's also why you saw McKelvin playing as far off the line as he was on some plays.

I remember at last one corner blitz with Robey and it worked.. Except cutler was able to flip the ball out through a group of defenders somehow and they got the 1st down.

I really like rotating out Mario and Dareus. You need to keep them as fresh and healthy and possible for the season, when you have depth you can do that when certain packages allow it.

It was smart in my opinion. It would have been tough to match up with Jeffery and Marshall man to man. Jay forces a lot of throws. We took advantage of that.

We didn't have a lot of sacks, and I've heard people say we didn't get pressure... I beg to differ. I thought the D-line forced Jay into quite a few bad throws.

Someone else said it and it's correct - Schwartz knew that Cutler wouldn't have the patience to dink and dunk all day, so he left the middle of the field relatively open and kept the defenders in zone so their eyes were on Cutler. It worked - he threw two awful picks.

They need to mix things up against Tannehill. Tannehill is ONLY good at the dinks and dunks - if you give him time and room, he'll pick you apart. They need pressure in his face and press coverage, force him to throw downfield against a rush. Pettine OWNED that guy.

It was smart in my opinion. It would have been tough to match up with Jeffery and Marshall man to man. Jay forces a lot of throws. We took advantage of that.

We didn't have a lot of sacks, and I've heard people say we didn't get pressure... I beg to differ. I thought the D-line forced Jay into quite a few bad throws.

@ChrisTrapasso: #Bills RDE Jerry Hughes didn't sack Jay Cutler, but per @PFF, he had 4 QB hurries on 35 pass-rushing snaps. Tied for most w/ Avril & Galette

Someone else said it and it's correct - Schwartz knew that Cutler wouldn't have the patience to dink and dunk all day, so he left the middle of the field relatively open and kept the defenders in zone so their eyes were on Cutler. It worked - he threw two awful picks.

They need to mix things up against Tannehill. Tannehill is ONLY good at the dinks and dunks - if you give him time and room, he'll pick you apart. They need pressure in his face and press coverage, force him to throw downfield against a rush. Pettine OWNED that guy.

The other reason you saw zone is because you wouldn't want the Bears big receivers beating one of your guys and getting the long ball. Seeing as the Dolphins receiving core isn't nearly as good as the Bears, I think you'll see Man2Man next week, with pressure at the line to disrupt routes.

Great thread - gameplay was to keep everything in front of our defense (which worked, the only play that got behind us was alshons 44 yard catch)

This week I expect we dial up the pressure and play more man on their WRs with some safety help for the deep ball threat to Wallace....five sacks this week and another couple INTs is in the cards fans!!