The 'Mats to be on the Tonight Show Tomorrow (9/9)

The Poojer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take my advice. Get there for the openers. Deer Tick is a great live band and the Hold Steady are VERY quickly becoming a favorite. Just sat in on a world cafe live session with them at lunch yesterday. If you added Springsteen and The 'Mats in a blender and sprinkled in some of TMBG's quirkiness you'd have the Hold Steady! Enjoy!

I'm gonna see em on Friday in Queens.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that the Residents, dude?

Or is it the Proclaimers?

Cool. I'm gonna be there with the Caveman + friends. You going?

I'm not. I wish I could. I spent way more on the Miami game than planned. I've actually spent a lot of dough on entertainment this summer (McCartney, Timberlake, NYC trip and Bills game), so I'm tapped. The tickets are $60. Between gas, tolls, food and drinks, I'd be in for well over $100. Normally it would be absolutely worth it. Just piss-poor timing.

Do they still wear the giant eyeballs?

20090419212742-residents-photo21.jpg

Actually saw them live a few years back. Talking Light tour at The Middle East, Cambridge MA. Not as strange as they usually get and rocked pretty hard by the end. The eyeballs are long since retired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8kRmgRo4U

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Take my advice. Get there for the openers. Deer Tick is a great live band and the Hold Steady are VERY quickly becoming a favorite. Just sat in on a world cafe live session with them at lunch yesterday. If you added Springsteen and The 'Mats in a blender and sprinkled in some of TMBG's quirkiness you'd have the Hold Steady! Enjoy!

ill second this.

How liquored up does Mr. Warrwrwrrowrrowwwrow have to get to listen to that crap all the time?

I believe Wawrow is a big Replacements fan. Is he also a fan of the Residents (the band in that particular video)?

I don't really understand how anyone can listen to either one of those bands. But then again, I'm an obnoxious music snob.

Really? You didn't like them? Quirkiness aside, Craig Finn is a great songwriter. I just love how he sings a verse then keeps talking off mic to seemingly no one. I think his stories via his songs are up there with the best of them.

But I appreciate that music is an individual thing. I just don't want people to miss them because they aren't necessarily a name band

You know, I tried but I couldn't get into the Hold Steady. I think I just have a hard time with quirkiness in my music, though.