ESPN article about Geno's checkdowns...

Dorkington

But... The Jets did win the game? Not a Geno apologizer... Isn't that what counts in the end.

If Oakland wins more than 2-3 games this year it will be a surprise. They are baaaaaaaad. Young QB might be something in a couple of years though.

Yeah, thank God he didn't throw that interception over the middle. Outside the numbers on the right was fine. WTF? :huh:

This. WTF?

I can understand the part about the importance of accurate short passes. Billicheat and the Patsies have been grinding teams under their cleats with dink-n-dunk passes for years. 3.4 ypa moves the chains, Boys, as long as you're consistent, it's a winning strategy. Combine it with some receivers who are tough to bring down after the catch, either because they're the size of armored personnel carriers (Hernandez, Gronkowski) or because they're able to instantaneously contract to the size of Casper the Ghost after reception (Wes Welker) and the YPA aren't too shabby, either.

So I disagree with the crowd here that is all about how Real NFL QB must "air it out" - long bombs are impressive as h*** when they work, but they are lower percentage and need to be used just judiciously enough to keep the defense honest (in other words, scared) about stacking the box.

On the other hand, this article is just funny.

"Despite two turnovers (including a fumble deep in Oakland Raiders' territory) and a 32.3 Total QBR, Smith had a good day in one respect. Smith finished with the third-best, single-game completion percentage in Jets' history (minimum 20 attempts), and that was largely due to a dominance with the short throw previously unseen from him."

32.3 QBR and "good day" or "dominance" go strangely in one sentence. I kind of like the homer-istic "find the silver lining" aspect, however.

"Smith’s performance was epitomized by the drive that resulted in Chris Johnson's touchdown 31 seconds before halftime. He went 5-for-7 on that drive, completing passes to five different receivers. All 55 yards passing came as the result of yards gained after the catch."

Translation: he checked down and dumped off consistently, and didn't go 3-and-out only because Oakland failed to adapt and contain.

"Smith did throw one interception, but even that comes with a positive caveat. The interception came on a throw outside the numbers on the right side of the field."

Well, thank G*d for that. If it had been on a long bomb over the middle, I guess it would have been really devastating.

If EJ had the same game, ESPN's writing would have been *much* different. That's all the point I was trying to make. :)

I get it, I get it. As would the interpretations of our fan base. Thanks for sharing, I needed a morning chuckle.

Edited by Hopeful