Just When You Thought the NCAA Couldn't Get any More Ridiculous

ChevyVanMiller

A little early recruiting?

Seriously the NCAA is nuts.

I am going to try and argue the opposite point.

To a point, yes I agree with you. Don't take this as me siding with the NCAA. I am not. BUT, there is a point to be made.

Get this, I have an almost 30 year old nephew. Born and raised in BFLO... Still there. Big Sabres/Bills fan! YET, he has a sweet spot for the JAX Jaguars. Huh? Not because The Jags ended the Bills run/dynasty in 1995 when he was 7... But because a few years earlier my mother (his grandmother) bought him a Jaguars coat! Huh? LoL... What were you thinking Ma? God rest your soul. To this day, my nephew still roots for JAX! Are you kidding me! You gotta be kidding me!

Don't underestimate the influence this sh*t has on children. Don't underestimate the influence that the CT call MAY have on a future baseball star. Really... I know it sounds crazy from the POV of an adult.

Think how many Bills fans nationally became fans when the Bills were winning in the early 1990's. LoL... Anyway, I bet they rue the day today! Especially the young ones that were snagged as kidlets! LoL... Let this be a warning to the child up in Minot, ND that bucked all his friends trend of becoming a Viking fan in favor of the Pats* bandwagon! LoL...

Do you see the NCAA's point now?

EDIT: In regards to the story. I know what my Ma was thinking back in 1993, even when the Bills were @ their zenith. JAX was a new "cool" team... Logo, colors... Etc... Why not get him something "different" "fresh." Again, don't underestimate the power marketing and subtle influences have on children.

My 16 year old son did the Notre Dame lacrosse camp this past June. Gr8 camp... But subtle influence pedaling abounds... Thankfully, the school didn't make that much of an impression on him because they stuck 'em in hot dorms! LoL... The funny thing is, my wife & I were more impressed than I expected... And I hate Notre Dame. Okay, not hate... But kinda a Yankees kind of hate for some.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Difference here is mone davis in several interviews called out geno and expressing her desire to play at uconn. He simply repaid her shutouts. This I'd a stupid !@#$ing case by the NCAA and they should be ashamed. I can't wait to see Jay bilas' take.

To a point, yes I agree with you. Don't take this as me siding with the NCAA. I am not. BUT, there is a point to be made.

Get this, I have an almost 30 year old nephew. Born and raised in BFLO... Still there. Big Sabres/Bills fan! YET, he has a sweet spot for the JAX Jaguars. Huh? Not because The Jags ended the Bills run/dynasty in 1995 when he was 7... But because a few years earlier my mother (his grandmother) bought him a Jaguars coat! Huh? LoL... What were you thinking Ma? God rest your soul. To this day, my nephew still roots for JAX! Are you kidding me! You gotta be kidding me!

Don't underestimate the influence this sh*t has on children. Don't underestimate the influence that the CT call MAY have on a future baseball star. Really... I know it sounds crazy from the POV of an adult.

Think how many Bills fans nationally became fans when the Bills were winning in the early 1990's. LoL... Anyway, I bet they rue the day today! Especially the young ones that were snagged as kidlets! LoL... Let this be a warning to the child up in Minot, ND that bucked all his friends trend of becoming a Viking fan in favor of the Pats* bandwagon! LoL...

Not at all. But cool story, dude.

Seriously, I understand lots of little things influence our fandom, especially when we are young. My uncle took me to a Pittsburgh Pirates (Forbes Field) game when I was 6 or 7 years old. Saw Stargell hit one out of the stadium. Been a Pirate fan ever since.

But in this case, had their been no rule, I imagine she would have been fielding a number of congratulatory calls from coaches (just like she probably was getting with other non NCAA involved people). I don't suppose that call would have stood out so much had anyone been free to call her.

Difference here is mone davis in several interviews called out geno and expressing her desire to play at uconn. He simply repaid her shutouts. This I'd a stupid !@#$ing case by the NCAA and they should be ashamed. I can't wait to see Jay bilas' take.

And they there is this. I didn't know this. I'd say if Geno knew that he was breaking the rule, he used it to his advantage and the NCAA had little choice than to fine him. But they shouldn't have a rule that dumb to begin with.

Like I said, all her ESPN interviews she stated her dream is to play basketball for geno auriema. If geno hadn't called her to congratulate her he'd have been villified. F the NCAA

http://articles.courant.com/2014-08-19/sports/hc-mone-davis-uconn-womens-basketball-0820-20140819_1_maya-moore-geno-auriemma-uconn-all-american-rebecca-lobo

Edited by The Poojer

This is beyond stupid. And I'm not just saying this because it's my alma mater.

The girl is still in grade school. Coaches, even elite ones, don't start recruiting that early.

MAYBE if this were for some big basketball achievement, there would be some point. It's an entirely different sport. And it was a short freaking congratulations call about her BASEBALL play. Does anyone even know if she plays basketball or plays well? Michael Phelps is a great swimmer, but if some tennis coach had called him as a kid and said congrats on a lap time, WTF??! It's a sad day when this is a thing, and it's from an anonymous complaint by a sour grape who can't beat Geno on the court.