Worst Draft In Bills History

Could be worse. My girlfriend cooks about once a month. I usually feed it to the dog and then run a "run a few errands". I swear she'd burn water.

* Note to self. Quit being so damn mean to the dog.

You always gotta respect effort though. And dogs love all human food.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst draft in Bills history? That's easy - 2015.

Seriously though, the 1982 draft was retched.

Perry Tuttle

WR

Clemson

Matt Kofler

QB

San Diego State

Eugene Marve

LB

Saginaw Valley

Van Williams

RB

Carson-Newman

DeWayne Chivers

TE

South Carolina

Gary Anderson

PK

Syracuse

Luc Tousignant

QB

Fairmont State

Dennis Edwards

DT

USC

Vic James

DB

Colorado

Frank Kalil

OG

Arizona

Tony Suber

DT

Gardner-Webb

Perry Tuttle

WR

Clemson

Matt Kofler

QB

San Diego State

Eugene Marve

LB

Saginaw Valley

Van Williams

RB

Carson-Newman

DeWayne Chivers

TE

South Carolina

Gary Anderson

PK

Syracuse

Luc Tousignant

QB

Fairmont State

Dennis Edwards

DT

USC

Vic James

DB

Colorado

Frank Kalil

OG

Arizona

Tony Suber

DT

Gardner-Webb

A terrible draft to be sure. But Marve played a little. And Anderson tanked (I believe on purpose) and was cut. He went to Pittsburgh, where he wanted to be, and became one of the best FG kickers of all time.

The 2002 draft also deserves to be part of this discussion

1 4 Mike Williams, OT

2 36 Josh Reed, WR

2 61 Ryan Denny, DE

3 97 Coy Wire, SS

5 139 Justin Bannan, DT

6 176 Kevin Thomas, CB

7 215 Mike Pucillo, G

7 249 Rodney Wright (no position listed)

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson (no position listed)

7 260 Dominique Stephenson (LB)

Josh Reed spent about three years as a starter, and several more as a backup. So that's something from this draft. But other than him, that draft produced nothing at all.

Granted, the 2000 draft didn't even give us a decent #3/4 WR like Josh Reed. However, the draft of 2000 represented the squandering of the 26th overall pick (700 points). The draft of 2002 represented the squandering of the 4th overall pick (1800 points) :angry: In terms of total value squandered, 2002 was even worse than 2000.

To be fair, Reed served the Bills for a long time, and Denney, Wire, and Bannan all had decent careers. Wire and Denney were key depth pieces and special-teamers as well. The 2000 draft didn't even produce that. Also the 2002 draft was full of busts at the top Harrington, Carr, and Sims.

Edited by justnzane

I'll be 57 next month... Lived through a lot of clunkers, but I live and die each week with this team... Ron McDole is my all time favorite Buffalo Bill, not even sure why after all these years..... I remember when if you bought a ticket for a keg, you could bring it into the stadium... Now, you get pat frisked like an inmate when you go to a game... But we put up with the BS to watch this team play.... If they win, all is great in my life, a loss brings depression and I can't look at a sports page until mid-week.... It's insanity and I love it.... GO BILLS!!!!!!

I'll be 57 next month

I'm 57. Been a Bills fan since I can remember. Season tickets in 1966 (won a Topps raffle). Been through a lot with this team. Wouldn't trade if for anything,

The Losman and Edwards drafts are just as bad no matter what other players were drafted. Their failures set the franchise back three years a piece while deciding if they could be a franchise QB. EJ may or may not be the same story...

JP, I agree yes, because he was a 1st rounder (didn't we trade up for him too?). Trent was a 3rd, so it didn't have to be that way......but Jaroun was an idiot, we obviously needed to get better at Oline too and he failed to get the FO to do do that. I have no idea how those

I think if EJ has a problem or injury, Orton will go in, so I am not quite as worried but it may eff up our record and there by playoff position if that happens. The last couple of drafts are looking okay right now, (sort of is going to depend on EJ).

Following up on a comment I made on another site, I vote for the 2000 draft as the worst draft in the Bills' history. What's your pick for the worst draft in Bills' history?

Take a look at John Butler’s last draft, when he may have known he was leaving. This draft really hurt the Bills, given that the previous season was the last season the Bills made the playoffs.

Round Pick Player Position College Notes

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State

2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech

3 89 Corey Moore LB Virginia Tech

4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State

5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech

6 194 Leif Larsen DE UTEP

7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo

7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

After this draft, with his contract due to expire in Feb. 2001, Butler refused to negotiate a new contract during the summer and fall, and was let go by Ralph Wilson before the end of the regular season in 2000.

that is pretty bad

The CJ draft was right up there.

I'll be 57 next month... Lived through a lot of clunkers, but I live and die each week with this team... Ron McDole is my all time favorite Buffalo Bill, not even sure why after all these years..... I remember when if you bought a ticket for a keg, you could bring it into the stadium... Now, you get pat frisked like an inmate when you go to a game... But we put up with the BS to watch this team play.... If they win, all is great in my life, a loss brings depression and I can't look at a sports page until mid-week.... It's insanity and I love it.... GO BILLS!!!!!!

i, like you, remember those days.. as far as the "worst draft" , too numerous to mention, but i know all teams pass on players who turn out to be good, great, etc.. i e : tom brady.. but seeing russell wilson excel is very hard to stomach as a die hard bills fan.. what were they thinking?? i heard his name mentioned many times as a player they coveted.. but sadly.. we draft t g..

Perry Tuttle

WR

Clemson

Matt Kofler

QB

San Diego State

Eugene Marve

LB

Saginaw Valley

Van Williams

RB

Carson-Newman

DeWayne Chivers

TE

South Carolina

Gary Anderson

PK

Syracuse

Luc Tousignant

QB

Fairmont State

Dennis Edwards

DT

USC

Vic James

DB

Colorado

Frank Kalil

OG

Arizona

Tony Suber

DT

Gardner-Webb

And Anderson, a kicker, was the player in that class. And he never played for the Bills, but he was a star in Pittsburg. :wallbash:

If judged by opportunity cost (the analytically correct way), then 2011 was pretty bad. Looking at who we could have drafted per round, you get:

Rd 1: Marcel Dareus cost -----> AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Robert Quinn, among others

Rd 2: Aaron Williams cost -----> Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, among others

Rd 3: Kelvin Sheppard cost -----> Justin Houston, Demarco Murray, and anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 4: Da'Norris Searcy cost ----->Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas ... either of which shores up our TE position

Rd 5: Johnny White cost -----> Richard Sherman ... wow .... and anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 6: Chris White/ traded for Thad Lewis cost -----> anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 7: Justin Rogers cost -----> anyone still on active NFL roster

Rd 7: Mike Jasper cost -----> nothing, no one still on NFL roster

Viewed this way 2011 was a very costly draft

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Perry Tuttle

WR

Clemson

Matt Kofler

QB

San Diego State

Eugene Marve

LB

Saginaw Valley

Van Williams

RB

Carson-Newman

DeWayne Chivers

TE

South Carolina

Gary Anderson

PK

Syracuse

Luc Tousignant

QB

Fairmont State

Dennis Edwards

DT

USC

Vic James

DB

Colorado

Frank Kalil

OG

Arizona

Tony Suber

DT

Gardner-Webb

so far i vote for this one. saginaw valley, carson newman, fairmont state and gardner-webb players all in one draft. always trying to find the diamond in the rough. "aren't we smart?" the answer is emphatically "no".

If judged by opportunity cost (the analytically correct way), then 2011 was pretty bad. Looking at who we could have drafted per round, you get:

Rd 1: Marcel Dareus cost -----> AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Robert Quinn, among others

Rd 2: Aaron Williams cost -----> Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, among others

Rd 3: Kelvin Sheppard cost -----> Justin Houston, Demarco Murray, and anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 4: Da'Norris Searcy cost ----->Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas ... either of which shores up our TE position

Rd 5: Johnny White cost -----> Richard Sherman ... wow .... and anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 6: Chris White/ traded for Thad Lewis cost -----> anyone still on NFL roster

Rd 7: Justin Rogers cost -----> anyone still on active NFL roster

Rd 7: Mike Jasper cost -----> nothing, no one still on NFL roster

Viewed this way 2011 was a very costly draft

(1) You could look at just about any draft for any team with this logic

(2) If they had drafted any of those other players at #3, Dareus would be on the "could have drafted" side of your list

(3) Andy Dalton is so overrated (if the Bills had him, he'd be torn to pieces on this site, a la Manuel), and Aaron Williams is on the verge of being a perennial Pro Bowler...

(1) You could look at just about any draft for any team with this logic

(2) If they had drafted any of those other players at #3, Dareus would be on the "could have drafted" side of your list

(3) Andy Dalton is so overrated (if the Bills had him, he'd be torn to pieces on this site, a la Manuel), and Aaron Williams is on the verge of being a perennial Pro Bowler...

1) true, and it's an exhaustive analysis I dont have time for, but I just recall 2011 as being a rich draft where we underperformed

2) I dont see that at all, in each case I only choise guys who IMO are clearly better. I can't possibly imagine any one of those players have us wishing we'd taken Dareus

3) No question both have had better careers to this point than Williams.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack