It isn't just Kouandjio not starting....

YoloinOhio

Makes sense. But note that the opportunities provided to a top pick are also because the scouting department rated him highly in the first place. If they pegged Cousins as a low(er) round pick compared to RGIII, it was based on their own evaluation of the talent. That evaluation won't suddenly go away unless the two players project vastly differently in training camp, games etc. This was the case with CyrusK and SeantrealH – it was evident that CyrusK is going to need a lot more time and effort so irrespective of their draft position, Seantreal is starting (albeit at different position than CyrusK was drafted for). I am glad the Bills did not fall into this trap and forced CyrusK into the lineup. Their thinking probably is that an experienced underperformer like ChrisW is better than him at this point.

That being said, RGIII may be done as a Washington starter if Cousins stays healthy and performs anywhere close to the likes of Russell Wilson or Kaepernick.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how these other guys have looked.

Without exagerating, Koundjo has looked like probably one of the worst linemen I have ever seen in pre-season for the Bills. Guys like Colin Brown and Tony Snow-- who were terrible-- even looked better in pre-season.

I agree. And doesn't Koundjo have arthritic knees? I don't see him improving.

If you hire scouts who give you the same opinion as draftniks and then you have success.........just sayin'.

If draftniks had any value they would be offered jobs at frachises rather than being fast food workers with dreams of being scouts.

If draftniks had any value they would be offered jobs at frachises rather than being fast food workers with dreams of being scouts.

I'm not saying they are more knowledgable than the scouts, but guys like Kiper and McShay make many times more money than any scout, and probably more than a lot of GMs.

STL really threw away their RG3 picks.

GMs out think themselves, instead of trusting the tape.

I don't disagree, I just thought the comment was funny. Although, I haven't given up on him, but I know some who think he is done. If he can stay healthy, I think he can be fine. I know one NFL GM who said in 2012 he is the best player he EVER scouted and he's been doing this since 1995 (including Luck).

:oops:

I wonder how these other guys have looked.

Without exagerating, Koundjo has looked like probably one of the worst linemen I have ever seen in pre-season for the Bills. Guys like Colin Brown and Tony Snow-- who were terrible-- even looked better in pre-season.

its only preseason :)

I agree. And doesn't Koundjo have arthritic knees? I don't see him improving.

He most likely will develope arthritis at some point in his life. However it will not be for many years. After reading more then a few articles it really does not sound like a knee issue. The guy played every game AND practice in college since he had the surgery.

CK started to look bad in Bama's bowl game and to be honest has not looked right since- combine and with the Bills. Hopefully he can pull it together and reach his potential.

It would be great if CK can turn into one of the starting guards next season and the Bills could move on from Pears or Williams.

Fortunately, we have the luxury of being able to have patience with Kouandjio, at least insofar as we can keep our starters healthy...

Well, the Bills could use an upgrade at LG. I'm still not sure why he's not being played there. But I hope Richardson can take the job soon.

People always seem to forget what a HUGE step up in competition it is from college ball to the pros.

Almost all first rounders are drafted as prospects, meaning on the basis of what is possible, not certain and for sure. Far from it.

Way too early to close the book on any of these kids.

Personally I think CK will be just fine given time.

I love his attitude. He wants to be good. And he's one huge mofo.

People always seem to forget what a HUGE step up in competition it is from college ball to the pros.

Almost all first rounders are drafted as prospects, meaning on the basis of what is possible, not certain and for sure. Far from it.

Way too early to close the book on any of these kids.

Personally I think CK will be just fine given time.

I love his attitude. He wants to be good. And he's one huge mofo.

Agreed. I think basically all players have to start over and learn the pro game. They are taught, from scratch, the techniques the new teams coaches want them to do, on OL or DL or LB or DB or anywhere. They have to learn a whole new speed, and strength, and series of moves and tricks. They learn new offenses and terminologies. Some of them, who are both physically gifted and sound fundamentally to begin with, plus mentally prepared and put in the work, pick it up quickly and start off pretty good. Everyone becomes ready at different times.

Well, the Bills could use an upgrade at LG. I'm still not sure why he's not being played there. But I hope Richardson can take the job soon.

Because the way the position is played, it is not advantageous to have a 6'7" LG. the guard position is faster than the tackle where the first,step,on the defense is faster, and a lot better to have a 6'0" person, 320 lbs. who has a quick first step and is athletic. You can interchange guards and centers easier, and tackles easier, but not between the two.

I understand your frustration, but he may just be a backup this year. Mit's not like we don't put back ups in throughout the year as these guys get hurt. It's a violent position.

I'm not saying they are more knowledgable than the scouts, but guys like Kiper and McShay make many times more money than any scout, and probably more than a lot of GMs.

Highly doubtful.

Kiper sold his book long before the ESPN gig, so he might have a bit of revenue coming in on top of the TV money. OTOH, McShay's just an employee (who's lucky to be to employed), so there's no way he's earning a six-figure paycheck like most GMs...

Edited by Lurker

Because the way the position is played, it is not advantageous to have a 6'7" LG. the guard position is faster than the tackle where the first,step,on the defense is faster, and a lot better to have a 6'0" person, 320 lbs. who has a quick first step and is athletic. You can interchange guards and centers easier, and tackles easier, but not between the two.

I understand your frustration, but he may just be a backup this year. Mit's not like we don't put back ups in throughout the year as these guys get hurt. It's a violent position.

some one 6 foot and 320 is quick and athletic?

Second round picks are expected to come in and contribute right away. But not everyone develops at the same rate. Some guys need to adjust to being a pro. I think Cyrus is an example of a guy that isn't developing as quickly as expected but that doesn't mean he can't craft out a good career. I think if he got kicked inside to guard (Where the team could use him) he could develop into a dam good guard. With Henderson and Glenn as the tackles we seem to be set at tackle if Henderson keeps it up. But at guard we are a bit older and might be able to use an upgrade.

Highly doubtful.

Kiper sold his book long before the ESPN gig, so he might have a bit of revenue coming in on top of the TV money. OTOH, McShay's just an employee (who's lucky to be to employed), so there's no way he's earning a six-figure paycheck like most GMs...

I think you are very wrong about how much the ESPN guys make. Kiper is probably making a couple mil per year and McShay is probably not too far behind.

I read Warren Sapp's contract with the NFL Networth is for $540,0000/year and he's just another guy on a seemingly part time gig (and a jerk if you can trust people who've met him). These other guys have to trounce him on the income front.