It isn't just Kouandjio not starting....

YoloinOhio

I guess what bothers me most about the CK pick is that many teams reportedly had red-flagged him due to his knee issues, and yet the Bills elected to use a high pick on him in a very deep OT draft. It is part of a pattern: Whenever the Bills do something that is against the grain (reaching for an iron-handed WR, drafting an unknown NT from a small school in round 2), it always blows up in their face. OBD most certainly has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess what bothers me most about the CK pick is that many teams reportedly had red-flagged him due to his knee issues, and yet the Bills elected to use a high pick on him in a very deep OT draft. It is part of a pattern: Whenever the Bills do something that is against the grain (reaching for an iron-handed WR, drafting an unknown NT from a small school in round 2), it always blows up in their face. OBD most certainly has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

It happens. We also got Seantrel Henderson in the 7th who may start. Compared to Greg Robinson, who isn't, I'm pretty happy.

Everyone misses. Plus CK isn't even through his first bye week and we are writing him off. He may turn out to be a better guard in the long run. Who cares? It happens. The rest of the draft has looked great

Remember how Cordy Glenn was a guard? They have made some soild picks in recent years and this roster is one of the best they've had in years.

Except he's not struggling because of his knees.

I think the big thing about this is that this year (and last) were supposed to be big years for getting a OT.....these were supposed to be strong OT drafts at the top.

So far it isnt working out that way

Oh yeah. Fisher, Joeckel, and Johnson have struggled from what I can see. I would expect a top 5 OT to be a dominant player and while not all can be Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, you have expectations they'll start right away.

I think the position is also changing somewhat in that agility is more in demand on the OL. You can't just be big because defenses are attacking and it's LT's and RT's who need to be able to pass block alone. Some high picks aren't as adept but there's time.

I just think there is more to this story, Maybe it IS his knees, after all. But I watched clips of some of his 'Bama games, and - although I don't claim to be a scout by any stretch - that is just not the same player I saw during the preseason. Like, literally, it may be an imposter. As Bandit (I think) said earlier, CK's performances this preseason looked about as bad as any offensive lineman I've ever seen, and the Bills have paraded some really bad ones through RWS. Yes we're writing CK off too early (that's obvious), but I'll say this, if he was a UDFA and played that way, they would've written him off early as well, and cut him.

So in sum, I suspect there is something else going on with the guy. I don't know if it's his knees, his attitude, personal problems, or what. But it can't be that he's just getting acclimated to the speed of NFL rushers - watch his clips at 'Bama, this was not a guy who waited for first contact and then got driven backwards. To the contrary, he routinely sprang up, got his hands on you, and plowed you over. Totally different dude.

And also, CK was a rare, five star recruit coming out of high school (as was Sammy W., I believe). The hit rate on those is higher.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I just think there is more to this story, Maybe it IS his knees, after all. But I watched clips of some of his 'Bama games, and - although I don't claim to be a scout by any stretch - that is just not the same player I saw during the preseason. Like, literally, it may be an imposter. As Bandit (I think) said earlier, CK's performances this preseason looked about as bad as any offensive lineman I've ever seen, and the Bills have paraded some really bad ones through RWS. Yes we're writing CK off too early (that's obvious), but I'll say this, if he was a UDFA and played that way, they would've written him off early as well, and cut him.

So in sum, I suspect there is something else going on with the guy. I don't know if it's his knees, his attitude, personal problems, or what. But it can't be that he's just getting acclimated to the speed of NFL rushers - watch his clips at 'Bama, this was not a guy who waited for first contact and then got driven backwards. To the contrary, he routinely sprang up, got his hands on you, and plowed you over. Totally different dude.

And also, CK was a rare, five star recruit coming out of high school (as was Sammy W., I believe). The hit rate on those is higher.

Good post. Interesting.

Did you watch the Sugar Bowl?

I'm by no means writing him off, but he needs a ton of work.

Two highly drafted OTs in the last two drafts are not starting. Not much of a peep about that though in the media. Greg Robinson, #2 overall to STL this year, and Jonathan Cooper, #7 overall to AZ in 2013, will not start.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 1m

Ourlads agrees. G-Rob's a backup. This is big news. MT @mqsteffes: Greg Robinson also not starting in STL, but no one thinks that's a story

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 49m

Bruce Arians: Jonathan Cooper won't start, hasn't earned it http://wp.me/p14QSB-9yQJ

Still a bad draft choice. I'm sure we'll be looking in the next year or sooner to see who we could have drafted instead of him.

So we can define down Buffalo picking a guy who probably won't contribute by highlighting that because it happened before Buffalo isn't so bad? Sure.

I don't get the Greg Robinson thing, but Jonathan Cooper was picked last year 7th overall, IR'd for the season, and actually plays guard, not tackle. That doesn't change that him not playing is good.

I think most reasonable people here figured Kouandjio would challenge Pears for the starting job. Heck, I think the scouts and coaches figured that as well, because, as we've seen, Pears isn't cutting it at OT. He's kicked inside presumably because Urbik has struggled.

A lot of people used to highlight that Buffalo's first round picks weren't busts to indicate that their drafting prowess was fine. Well, second round picks (you can't call them busts or success) should be contributing sooner rather than later in today's NFL. CK was a disaster in camp, so it ain't looking good, but it's not made better because other teams have the same problem. So-so drafting teams will never get ahead.

Oops - I thought he was a OT in college who got moved to Guard but you are right. I think I assumed he was a OT since he went SEVENTH. Yikes.

CB97, we can always count on you to exemplify this song:

What the hell is that? That's awful haha.

I just hate the mindset of fans and the media. It's not even about the Bills. I think Robinson will be a beast but I'm sure there are those rushing to call him a bust. Eric Moulds was a bust after 2 years.

Maybe our OLine Coach suxs.

And his son is running the same stupid plays with Johnny.

It wasn't the plays he ran. It was leaving him in when he was limping around on a gimp leg. He broke his new toy, now Snyder's desperately hoping it can be fixed.

If his only good production is going to be one season ,then he is a bust given that Washington literally sold the farm to get him. Comparing his one year success to Bills QBs is not really relevant to the discussion?

Link?