How will the (potential) breakup of the UK affect Europe?

September 18th, Scotland will vote on whether or not to remain a part of the United Kingdom. Early polls showed the voters were leaning towards independence (though those numbers have evened lately). If this passes and Scotland separates, it will leave the Empire with only greater England and the protectorate of Northern Ireland (and I guess Wales?).

Considering the turmoil on the continent and the reemergence of NATO's largest threat, how much -- if at all -- would the collapse of the UK feed into the unrest or will it be much ado about nothing?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then Cameron should send in the tanks to protect the native English speakers from the aggressive Scots who will seek to exterminate the English.

Horsecrap. England shall do nothing but secure the border, and will not be responsible if several thousand English volunteers with substantial military experience cross the border and fight the evil murdering fascist Scots with captured unmarked heavy military equipment that they just found lying about unattended.

Horsecrap. England shall do nothing but secure the border, and will not be responsible if several thousand English volunteers with substantial military experience cross the border and fight the evil murdering fascist Scots with captured unmarked heavy military equipment that they just found lying about unattended.

Because obviously this ridiculous scenario could never happen. ..much less in a European country in the 21st century. Im sure we would have heard about it on cnn by now.

September 18th, Scotland will vote on whether or not to remain a part of the United Kingdom. Early polls showed the voters were leaning towards independence (though those numbers have evened lately). If this passes and Scotland separates, it will leave the Empire with only greater England and the protectorate of Northern Ireland (and I guess Wales?).

Considering the turmoil on the continent and the reemergence of NATO's largest threat, how much -- if at all -- would the collapse of the UK feed into the unrest or will it be much ado about nothing?

Probably much ado about nothing. England and Scotland are too closely tied together culturally, economically, historically, and militarily, for independence to be anything but notional in the immediate time frame. Unless the Scots are completely self-destructive and insane (not impossible - they are Scots :D ), it'd take a decade-plus to realistically reduce each's dependence on the other for "independence" to be meaningful.

• 2 weeks later...

us media will be flooded with stories "linking ISIS" to the newly independent nation, drone strikes will be reported in Edinburgh, first state department won't confirn US involvement. Then a couple days later Obama will address the nation about the Scottish-Islamo threat to america, asserting our right to attack targets in Scotland under operation "black kilt"

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I was just in both the Republic of Ireland (EU) and Northern Ireland (UK) and it's THE story dominating the news. from what I could gather, it's pretty much just Scotland wanting to have more direct influence on their own concerns. they're treated the same as Northern Ireland and Wales are, which looked to me to be 'hey, you're just as much a member of the kingdom as anyone else, but you're still not England'. the UK has made some recent offers to the Scots which are much in line with their current demands, and in doing so have taken away a lot of the incentive for Scotland's withdrawal. beyond all that, all I learned about it is that it's the most polite attempt at succession that I've ever seen (protesters against independence for Scotland carrying posters that say 'no thanks').

Be so nice if a few red states would do this :)

us media will be flooded with stories "linking ISIS" to the newly independent nation, drone strikes will be reported in Edinburgh, first state department won't confirn US involvement. Then a couple days later Obama will address the nation about the Scottish-Islamo threat to america, asserting our right to attack targets in Scotland under operation "black kilt"

if you two pooled your resources you might be able to afford better writers instead of relying on rubber-stamp replies and low-grade cynicism.

I was just in both the Republic of Ireland (EU) and Northern Ireland (UK) and it's THE story dominating the news. from what I could gather, it's pretty much just Scotland wanting to have more direct influence on their own concerns. they're treated the same as Northern Ireland and Wales are, which looked to me to be 'hey, you're just as much a member of the kingdom as anyone else, but you're still not England'. the UK has made some recent offers to the Scots which are much in line with their current demands, and in doing so have taken away a lot of the incentive for Scotland's withdrawal. beyond all that, all I learned about it is that it's the most polite attempt at succession that I've ever seen (protesters against independence for Scotland carrying posters that say 'no thanks').

if you two pooled your resources you might be able to afford better writers instead of relying on rubber-stamp replies and low-grade cynicism.

At least the question is clear. You should look up the question that was asked to voters on the Quebec 95 separation referendum. The phrasing was so ambiguous, it could have been written by Birddog himself.

At least the question is clear. You should look up the question that was asked to voters on the Quebec 95 separation referendum. The phrasing was so ambiguous, it could have been written by Birddog himself.

Birddog in French? good lord.....

Wonder if it will impact the Kennedy family fortune. Joe the Nazi Sympathizer patriarch of the clan made a fortune in the Scotch importing business.

Don't be so harsh on Joe.

He's not the patriarch.

Edited by meazza

Have you ever thought about what "your country" would look like if red states and blue states formed 2 separate countries?

The Northeast and the West Coast, separated by three thousand miles of gun-toting religious fundamentalists.

Yeah, that'd work well for gatorman. :lol: