Brandon Spikes

Jerry Jabber

I asked Chris Brown from buffalobills.com about the possibility of Brandon Spikes getting a contract extension and got my question answered on the Bills website:

"So far through the preseason games, the Bills run defense looks a lot better than it has in years. I feel a big reason for that has been the addition of Brandon Spikes at MLB (and of course, Jim Schwartz as DC). I know Spikes signed a one-year deal with the Bills in the offseason, do you see the Bills offering him a long-term contract extension sometime during the season? I would love to see Spikes re-signed as I feel he’s been a great mentor to the younger players on the team, as well as being a great MLB.

Thanks!"

"CB: There’s no question that Spikes is a guy that younger players follow. They respect his instincts for the game. To further illustrate that I’ll let LB Ty Powell explain it himself.

“Me and Preston Brown are usually side by side, following Spikes and stuff,” said Powell. “Spikes has a lot of knowledge of the game, he has great instincts, so we just follow him around.”

The young linebackers on the roster are just trying to soak up whatever they can about playing linebacker in the NFL from Spikes.

As for an extension I would expect that to be a wait and see situation, but the run defense is probably the most encouraging thing about this team to come out of the preseason."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

Hopefully,the Bills will give Spikes a contract extension at some point during the year, as I feel the Bills could have a dominating group of LB's for many years to come (especially when Alonzo comes back healthy).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how he does. They will need to help him on passes. That wheel route by the RB that went for 6 in the Tampa preseason wasn't pretty. He was way behind that guy. Clearly though his run stopping and his vocal leadership have been needed.

It will be interesting to see how he does. They will need to help him on passes. That wheel route by the RB that went for 6 in the Tampa preseason wasn't pretty. He was way behind that guy.

5 years ago a run stuffer like Spikes would be a must guy to re-sign. Now that the league has become pass happy, his value diminishes considerably. The key thing to watch will be how much of a liability Spikes becomes when teams implement a gameplan that will look to exploit his coverage weakness.

I know that we drafted Preston Brown but you gotta believe Brandon Spikes is gonna be a priority to the bills.....

They made him a captain even!

If brown pans out, and kiko returns with a run stuffing spikes.... That'd be fun to see. Man I remember when Keith Ellison was a starting linebacker. Things are better now.