OT: 'Dead' guy breaths

BillsNYC

Amazing! Being dead 2 hours, then breathing again is a mystery. I wonder if bodies ever started breathing after being buried? Surely they would eventually die again from lack of oxygen, but it makes you wonder.

220523[/snapback]

In the old days, people were buried with a bell on the grave marker with the string leading into the coffin just in case they came back to life (mis-diagnosed). So the buried person can ring the bell to let everyone know they are alive. So it used to happen in the old days. But that was because of poor medical knowledge and tools.

I guess the modern equivilent would be to be buried with a cell phone in the coffin.

In the old days, people were buried with a bell on the grave marker with the string leading into the coffin just in case they came back to life (mis-diagnosed). So the buried person can ring the bell to let everyone know they are alive. So it used to happen in the old days. But that was because of poor medical knowledge and tools.

I guess the modern equivilent would be to be buried with a cell phone in the coffin.

220548[/snapback]

Actually, that's less because of the fear of misdiagnosis, and more because of the popularity of Poe's "Premature Burial". Kind of like how the beach became less popular when Jaws hit the theater...

Actually, that's less because of the fear of misdiagnosis, and more because of the popularity of Poe's "Premature Burial".  Kind of like how the beach became less popular when Jaws hit the theater...

220858[/snapback]

Never came across that one.

Thanks, Tom...despite what others say, you're OK.

Insert insulting retort HERE________. :lol:

I didn't realize "patient is alive" vs "patient is dead" was subjective nowadays...

220427[/snapback]

Believe it or not...it always has been to some degree. "Not breathing" or "no heartbeat" is pretty subjective if you're an EMT in the field with little in the way of sophisticated equipment to help, as there IS a difference between "no discernable pulse" and "no heartbeat registering on the EKG". And from the story...it seems this guy was declared dead at the scene or on arrival, not in the ER hooked up to the bells and whistles.

I'm sure, when you achieve your life's goal of marooning yourself on the couch in your undies, covered in Cheetos, with the voice-activated laptop in front of you and watching The Apprentice with a slack-jawed blank look...the first time someone walks in and exclaims "Steve, are you alive?!?!?!" you'll start to understand the subjectivity of the judgement... :lol:

Believe it or not...it always has been to some degree.  "Not breathing" or "no heartbeat" is pretty subjective if you're an EMT in the field with little in the way of sophisticated equipment to help, as there IS a difference between "no discernable pulse" and "no heartbeat registering on the EKG".  And from the story...it seems this guy was declared dead at the scene or on arrival, not in the ER hooked up to the bells and whistles.

I'm sure, when you achieve your life's goal of marooning yourself on the couch in your undies, covered in Cheetos, with the voice-activated laptop in front of you and watching The Apprentice with a slack-jawed blank look...the first time someone walks in and exclaims "Steve, are you alive?!?!?!" you'll start to understand the subjectivity of the judgement...  :lol:

220862[/snapback]

hey :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ... i don't like cheetos. My goal is to be able to afford a lifetime supply of beef jerky (that stuff is expensive!)

I'm sure, when you achieve your life's goal of marooning yourself on the couch in your undies, covered in Cheetos, with the voice-activated laptop in front of you and watching The Apprentice with a slack-jawed blank look...the first time someone walks in and exclaims "Steve, are you alive?!?!?!" you'll start to understand the subjectivity of the judgement...  :lol:

220862[/snapback]

Thanks for that mental image. :lol:

hey :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ... i don't like cheetos. My goal is to be able to afford a lifetime supply of beef jerky (that stuff is expensive!)

220868[/snapback]

So make your own, nitwit. Lean beef, sliced thin, coat in spices and dry in the oven for 2-3 days on "warm".

Or maybe that's the recipe for biltong. Not much difference, really...

Rod Serling had a "Twilight Zone" episode where a fellow was put on a slab in a mortuary, but he was alive. His mind raced about what to do, and finally he was able to slightly move his pinkie finger. The next day, an attendent opened the drawer, put him on a gurney, and then tucked his arms underneath his body so they wouldn't flop down. The last scene was his face with a tear rolling down his cheek.

220539[/snapback]

A similar one was that a prison inmate would sneak into a coffin and be buried, then dug up by a friend so he could escape.

All goes to plan until he flicks open a lighter and realizes the dead body he's trapped with is the friend that was supposed to dig him out. Ends with him screaming and the lighter going out.

Amazing! Being dead 2 hours, then breathing again is a mystery. I wonder if bodies ever started breathing after being buried? Surely they would eventually die again from lack of oxygen, but it makes you wonder.

220523[/snapback]

Nowadays that would be impossible. They drain your Blood and remove internal organs after death. Breathing would be an awesome trick.